How Much Faster At A Sea-Level Track?

So my old Demon running 11.7s at Las Vegas International Raceway with an altitude correction of about 5000 ft would be about an 11 flat car at sea level. Cool!

sortastock.jpg

Stretch

amoparman said:
So my old Demon running 11.7s at Las Vegas International Raceway with an altitude correction of about 5000 ft would be about an 11 flat car at sea level. Cool!

View attachment 31014

Stretch

11 flat?, I don't see why not; you won't see any records being broken in Vegas.

My buddy was running his 7 second Street Class Mustang there over this past weekend. He was running against Bob Glidden. Cool or what...

moparracing said:
isn't 100hp/trq worth ~5/10's over a stock motor ? ;)

More like a full second....

Generally the "10s Rule" works quite well for determining performance at the typical high performance level...
Eg. 100 horsepower more = 1 second off the E.T. and/or 10 m.p.h. faster. 10 horsepower will give you 1 m.p.h. or 1/10th second. 1/2 second requires 50 horse, etc. BUT these trucks are heavy and push a lot of air so that line of thinking vs. the reality is "subject to change without notice". :)

I picked up a little over 140 wheel since last season and dropped from a 14.2 to a 13.0 (at the same high altitude track). So, in my case, the 10s Rule was close, as you could say a drop in E.T. like that would require only 120 more horsepower, etc; etc.

Champion (spark plugs) Engineers say you lose 3-1/2% of your total horsepower for every 1000 feet you climb. So at my home track, on a VERY GOOD DAY, I am down 10% compared to a sea-level track. A whopping 20% on a "normal" poor D.A. day!

Dropping from around 3000 feet to sea-level is like adding a 2 p.s.i. forced induction system!

Ron

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back