How much have you paid to have your A/C recharged?

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a A/C recovery unit from Snap-On for a small fortune and am curious what the going rate is to evacuate, leak test, and recharge a A/C system?

the shop i works at charges 2 hours @ $89 + freon.

if i have to pull the freon out to see if the system was full & a prob somewhere else, they charge the customer the amount of freon the system holds, even though its the customers freon, BS.

$180 + freon in my opinion is too much, but this is why Im asking. Maybe $180 is the going rate.

I was thinking more in the line of a flat fee of $100 + freon.

Pulling the customers freon and charging them for it is crap, especially if it is full or almost full. But Im sure no one complains so they are making tons of money there.

What are they billing for freon? We just raised our price to $1.15/ounce to match what the local A/C shops are billing.

$180 + freon in my opinion is too much, but this is why Im asking. Maybe $180 is the going rate.

I was thinking more in the line of a flat fee of $100 + freon.

Pulling the customers freon and charging them for it is crap, especially if it is full or almost full. But Im sure no one complains so they are making tons of money there.

What are they billing for freon? We just raised our price to $1.15/ounce to match what the local A/C shops are billing.

i agree. thats why i don't tell them very often:D "they" say its an EPA rule. if that don't sound like BS, don't know what does. liein, thevin bastards.:mad: probably one of the reasons the a/c work is down

i like the flat fee idea:rock:

not sure on the price of freon. last i heard seems like $350ish for a 30lb bottle.

but i can ask monday & see

we do it for $68 labor plus freon $12-$18 lb oil from $2.50 -$4.99 oz dye $5-$8 oz

freon $199 30lb keg price is down right now

i agree. thats why i don't tell them very often:D "they" say its an EPA rule. if that don't sound like BS, don't know what does. liein, thevin bastards.:mad: probably one of the reasons the a/c work is down

i like the flat fee idea:rock:

not sure on the price of freon. last i heard seems like $350ish for a 30lb bottle.

but i can ask monday & see

EPA rule? To basically charge people for what they already have, that doesnt make sense.

If I remember right we pay about $0.65/ounce so about $312 per 30 lbs bottle.

we do it for $68 labor plus freon $12-$18 lb oil from $2.50 -$4.99 oz dye $5-$8 oz

I forgot about the oil fees, thanks for reminding me.

To pay for a tech's labor and to recoupe the cost of the machine, $68 isnt near enough. You guys must have cars lined up down the street for A/C work.

I forgot about the oil fees, thanks for reminding me.

To pay for a tech's labor and to recoupe the cost of the machine, $68 isnt near enough. You guys must have cars lined up down the street for A/C work.[/QUOTE

Yeh one of the cheapest labor rates in town we are booked at least 3 to 4 days out. Make your money in volume it works for wal mart.

:dontknow::dontknow:EPA rule? To basically charge people for what they already have, that doesnt make sense.:dontknow::dontknow:

If I remember right we pay about $0.65/ounce so about $312 per 30 lbs bottle.

i agree. just another line of BS they try to pass off:toilet:

i am by no means an expert on the issue, but very few people do a FLUSH. i had to search all over the lower 48 for a shop to do it for me when my AC pump blew up. so much junk in the lines, the new one crapped out the first day. no one seemed to do a flush. its an extra service you can offer anyone who has to replace the pump.
the R&R for the freon was $90 plus 1# at $25 plus the flush at $90 plus the oil at $15.

Yeh one of the cheapest labor rates in town we are booked at least 3 to 4 days out. Make your money in volume it works for wal mart.

your correct, years ago i was going to start a $45 per hour shop. i figured i would be booked solid as many bays as i could muster. everyone called me retarded. i know it works, the math is there. good on you for being cheep.

i am by no means an expert on the issue, but very few people do a FLUSH. i had to search all over the lower 48 for a shop to do it for me when my AC pump blew up. so much junk in the lines, the new one crapped out the first day. no one seemed to do a flush. its an extra service you can offer anyone who has to replace the pump.
the R&R for the freon was $90 plus 1# at $25 plus the flush at $90 plus the oil at $15.

thats just plumb stupid not to flush an a/c system, compressor failure or just maintance

book time is 1.4hrs plus freon/oil/dye. i have a set price 199.95 that includes labor, dye and up to 2lbs freon

It's not an industry standard to "flush" most manufactures won't warranty any components in a system that had a compressor failure unless items are replaced, such as the evap, cond, and accumulator/dryer.
With that being said it's rare for a compressor to fail unless the system is in dire need of maintanence. Low refigerent and a lack of lubricant are the biggest cause, as well as the "do it your self" home charge, most people overcharge their systems thinking it will cool better, or because of the trust in those built in "gauges" that tell you when the system is charged, when in realatity it will cool worse and cause damage by overheating the system and in the worst case causing the compressor to suck liquid. But that's not to say you should not flush all system components is you suspect contamination, like lines and evap/condenser, but to do it just to do it can cause more problems then it's worth if their is no sign of contamination.
Joe...ASE master tech....

I paid full price a number of years back to have the ac compressor replaced on my wife's 'vette at the Chevy dealer. They offered a lifetime warranty on any major work they do, so I figured what the heck. They have since replaced the compressor every year. It just died again this past weekend. I am off to get it replaced for the -- get this -- 5th time!

It may have cost me $700 to get it done the first time, but man has it ever paid for itself in spades. The service manager keeps telling me that they are flushing the system each time, but if I were them, I would question the compentency of the techs doing the work.

So, I have to set an appointment to go back, once more, to get the ac compressor replaced. Once they've surpassed the value of my used car, maybe they should just replace the whole car instead of just the ac, lol.

I paid full price a number of years back to have the ac compressor replaced on my wife's 'vette at the Chevy dealer. They offered a lifetime warranty on any major work they do, so I figured what the heck. They have since replaced the compressor every year. It just died again this past weekend. I am off to get it replaced for the -- get this -- 5th time!

It may have cost me $700 to get it done the first time, but man has it ever paid for itself in spades. The service manager keeps telling me that they are flushing the system each time, but if I were them, I would question the compentency of the techs doing the work.

So, I have to set an appointment to go back, once more, to get the ac compressor replaced. Once they've surpassed the value of my used car, maybe they should just replace the whole car instead of just the ac, lol.

Nope just junk parts nowadays or like you said they r not flushing the system or not putting in the right amount of oil. After 2 i would have asked what the F if u didnt have a warranty :aetsch:

Time to start changing all the components, Id kick my tech's ass if that happened in my shop.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back