How often should our 02 sensors be changed?

portlandsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be changing my 2 front sensors here in the next couple of weeks. Just wondering what the average lifespan on sensors should be...

portlandsrt said:
Thought I would bump this thread... Anyone know how often our O2 sensors should be changed???

I've still got the original ones in my truck,and I've only got just shy of 69K !!:dontknow:

you should be good till 100k, the heater element is what fails when they do go out and you'll set a fault...Or if you somehow contaminate them with coolant (ie blown headgasket, cracked head) that will make it fail too..

until they quit workin????:dontknow: :dontknow:
is that right?????:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

I don't recall but I thought the Feds required the manufacturers to cover OBD-II equipment, cats, O2's. etc. up to 80K. :dontknow: A call to a dealer may answer the question?

O2 sensors should be changed when they fail. o2 sensors are covered under 3yr/36k warranty. they do not fall in with the 8/80k emissions.. Cat's and PCM's are covered under the 8/80k emission warranty

Thanks for the responses... I've thrown a code twice for the passenger front O2 sensor (5K miles apart),,, but both times the CEL has gone away within me restarting the truck a couple times. Might just be a fluke.
I went ahead and purchased 2 new front ones just to be safe and will install them soon. My truck has around 43K miles on it. New 02 sensors should be good now until I have around 150K miles on the truck. :)

I was reading through the 2006 service manual the other day. I read that when changing O2's, the PCM RAM memory needs to be reset/data purged so that the new O2's are recognized properly by the PCM (powertrain verification test #4). This is done by momentarily removing connector C1 from the PCM or lifting the negative battery cable. I assume the same thing has to be done for a 2005 vehicle.

FastRam said:
I was reading through the 2006 service manual the other day. I read that when changing O2's, the PCM RAM memory needs to be reset/data purged so that the new O2's are recognized properly by the PCM (powertrain verification test #4). This is done by momentarily removing connector C1 from the PCM or lifting the negative battery cable. I assume the same thing has to be done for a 2005 vehicle.

Great to know... Thanks for that piece of advice! So as long as I disconnect the negative cable, I should be done. I think I need to do this when I put on my new calipers and lines anyway,,, so I should be good.

It's my understanding that O2 sensors should be changed at around 100k miles. As they start to fail they usually make the engine run richer which can cause a lot of carbon build up in the cats and of course give you drop in your gas mileage too. In my experience when they start to fail they can cause the Check Engine Light to go on and off intermittently. I used to have a Firebird that started to throw a CEL every once in a while when I was driving on the freeway. I changed the O2 sensors out and that solved the problem. Although the sensors for that car were only about 30 bucks each.

been told that when the exhaust smells like rotten eggs, its the O2 sensor actin up

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back