I dropped out...off grid

Fep, this is the coolest thing ever. You must have to carry your ballz in a wheelbarrow!!!:rock::rock:

Oh shit!! Are you gonna have telephone service or computer service???

Last edited:
Fep, this is the coolest thing ever. You must have to carry your ballz in a wheelbarrow!!!:rock::rock:

Oh shit!! Are you gonna have telephone service or computer service???

The closest elec. pole is 13 miles. The closest hardline telephone is 30 miles. The closest cell reception is 22 miles for text only and 30 miles for voice. No TV, no internet unless i get satellite. :dontknow:

The closest elec. pole is 13 miles. The closest hardline telephone is 30 miles. The closest cell reception is 22 miles for text only and 30 miles for voice. No TV, no internet unless i get satellite. :dontknow:

I would get a Sat Phone for emergencies.... just a thought. :dontknow:

I would get a Sat Phone for emergencies.... just a thought. :dontknow:

Not really sure what constitutes and emergency. Remember, i live 1.5 hours off the paved highway. There are NO signs, markers or numbers on my house. They could never reach me in a "real" emergency. The last 2.5 miles is 4x4 only. :dontknow:

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is my dream !!!!!!!!!!!!

A quiet,simple,uncomplicated,live-off-the-land life !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock::rock:

I probably watched too many Mountain Family Robinson movies as a kid.
(or maybe it was Frontier Fremont,Grizzly Adams,Daniel Boone,or Mountain Man,the Story of Galen Clark ??)

Hope you have a great time out there !

:rock::rock::rock:

excellent:rock:

enjoy:rock::rock:

Thanks so much everyone. It was not an easy choice, but looking at the state of things, it might be the only really safe place, very soon.

Not really sure what constitutes and emergency. Remember, i live 1.5 hours off the paved highway. There are NO signs, markers or numbers on my house. They could never reach me in a "real" emergency. The last 2.5 miles is 4x4 only. :dontknow:

Medical emergencies... snake bite, broken leg, etc.... I'm sure there are air-lift possibilities within a few hours' helicopter flight away. :eek: We wouldn't want you dying out there for something (relatively) superficial. :dontknow:

Not sure you even care, but since i been a member here for a long time, I thought i'd let you all know I dropped out. I'm no longer chasing the carrot. Sold my Harley truck and moved off grid. I'm back in Florida for a few weeks to finish up and thought i'd post up and let you guys see what i been up to. Here is a link that has pictures and stuff.

I Made The Move .... : I Would Like to Live Off the Grid Story & Experience

Is that 2x6 walls ? For better insulation values ?

Is that 2x6 walls ? For better insulation values ?

That and strength. 2x10 floor joists 16"oc, 2x6 walls 16"oc, 2x8 roof joists 16"oc. R30 ceiling, R30 floor and R19 walls.

Medical emergencies... snake bite, broken leg, etc.... I'm sure there are air-lift possibilities within a few hours' helicopter flight away. :eek: We wouldn't want you dying out there for something (relatively) superficial. :dontknow:

Those are pretty minor and planned for. Stitches, setting legs ect. I can/will do myself. The closest county helipad is 50 miles and the closest hospital is over 100 miles.

The landscape around your house looks like rolling hills and meadows but you say the last 2 1/2 mi. are 4x4 only. How come???

The landscape around your house looks like rolling hills and meadows but you say the last 2 1/2 mi. are 4x4 only. How come???

The arroyo's are deep and at times i have to drive thru riverbeds. There are 2 hills that are rock climbs and when wet or snowy, are slick as ice.

Damn, Where will I park the Motorhome??:D:D

Funny you should ask. I took my friends RV to live in while i was building the place. We stayed here. Pie Town RV Park and Campground, Catron County, New Mexico $225 a month all amenities included. There is also a FREE RV park in Pie Town but it doesn't have any amenities. You can also drive the RV to the National Forest and park there for free but again, no amenities. If you stayed in the NF, you will be right in the middle of nowhere. You'll see Elk, Mt. Lions, Mule Deer, Whitetails, Wolves, Bobcats, Rabbits and more stars than you have ever seen in your life. There are stone ruins of old pony express routes, Geronimo's holdout is just a few miles from there. He held off the Army by himself for days. The whole area is rich in history and artifacts.

That and strength. 2x10 floor joists 16"oc, 2x6 walls 16"oc, 2x8 roof joists 16"oc. R30 ceiling, R30 floor and R19 walls.

Well thought out !!

Would love to see it one day.

Simplicity is a powerful thing.It brings everything into sharper focus.With less distractions you have more focus and with more focus you have more power.

You begin to appreciate the really important things in life.Sadly,too many today are losing touch with the earth and reality and have substituted cell phones and ipods and computers.

Keep us updated as much as possible.

I have been reading more and more of your story. This is amazing. Would love to try that myself. 40 acres for 15 grand, damn.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back