I have a weird sound too

spdrcrj

Reaction score
It happens when the truck temp is cold, last for only about 5 secs then is gone and doesnt happen when the truck is warm. Almost sounds like a sportbike driving by (I actually looked behind me the first couple times this happened to see who was riding by). Exhaust leak that's sealing up?

Jim

interesting? exhaust would be more of a clicking noise. need more details. what speed, gear, ambient temp, turning or coming to a stop, accelerating, cruising.

bucke77 said:
interesting? exhaust would be more of a clicking noise. need more details. what speed, gear, ambient temp, turning or coming to a stop, accelerating, cruising.

Sound only happens when the truck is cold (first start of the day). Not turning, stopping, accelerating, cruising or anything. I start the truck, sound starts, gets slightly louder, then stops, lasting only about 5 secs then doesnt happen again until the truck is cold (as if starting it for the first time of the day).

Jim

i kinda have a weird sound when i start up only happens every other turn of the belt.

Also have the sound, same deal when i first start it up, Harmonic Balancer maybe??

I use to have a cold startup sound, a whine, really noticable in the garage. Started out low and would get louder, and yes, about 5 seconds or so. When I put on my exhaust either

1. It went away
2. The exhaust is to loud to let me hear the whine :rock:

spdrcrj said:
It happens when the truck temp is cold, last for only about 5 secs then is gone and doesnt happen when the truck is warm. Almost sounds like a sportbike driving by (I actually looked behind me the first couple times this happened to see who was riding by). Exhaust leak that's sealing up?

Jim
Fuel pump priming??:dontknow: Maybe you have a small leak in the fuel pump check valve or whatever keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank and the fuel pump is re-pressurizing the system. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
Dominick572 said:
Also have the sound, same deal when i first start it up, Harmonic Balancer maybe??
Have you checked your harmonic balancer bolt?? They've been known to be loose on the '04's and early '05's.

Dominick572 said:

when mine sits for more than a day and during initial start-up for about 4 to 5 seconds- to me sounds like the oil priming up in this BEAST of a motor we all enjoy.

any thoughts

Back in o4 when these trucks were new there was post about startup noise......some described it kinda like a whine, sorta like a f15 plane sound. Turned out to be the power steering pump or something. I had it too.

patrick

I'll pay more attention and try to pinpoint it's location. I'll pay special attention to the powersteering pump. I'll post any findings.

mine was doing that found when it was happening the power steering would be very hard (turn the wheel) had the system flushed and fluid change havent had the problem any more ,might be your problem maybe

TheSickness said:
At least I am not as bad as FlyingLow ;) He had to make Helicopter noises sitting at his desk :rock:
got to admit that was a good one..:D :D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back