I have become a Victim of Identity theft

Annu Kumar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys Got a letter from Capital One saying that somebody has opened a fradulent account using my personal information. And also bank of america called me saying that somebody opened 2 accounts on my name. Capital one is handling my case and so is B of A. Has any member gone through this. Can you find the Perpetrator.

You will be dealing with expirion for the next 6 months to get it cleaned up, and that is if you are lucky:( :(

Borden3srt said:
no, but sometimes they can catch them. good luck with it and it will take some time to clean everything up. have you put an alert on yourself with the credit bureaus? when you do this, they have to call the number that you give them to approve any new accounts. this can be done with any of the three bureaus. i dont think you have to call each one, but ask them to make sure that is correct. this alert is good for 6 months, then you can call again to get it extended.

Great advice. Also, you'll want to get a current copy of your credit report from all 3 bureaus to make sure there are not more accounts open.

It did happen to one of my friend. I am sorry about that. Let hope someone will find who it is. My suggest is when that person is busted....go to the court.

That stinks Annu ----those type of cowrdly blood suckers should be put into destitution in the middle of the ocean---i'll bet the sharks don't take credit cards.....Wasn't the ex was it....

Annu,

Stop posting your info on those nudie sites....

Honestly, act quick. There has been a lot of good advice so far and good luck! No one deserves what you are going through.

Will

Annu, you need to buy Lifelock right now! My sister went thru this last year. Some lady in Oakland got ahold of an old loan application that I filled out for my sister and brother in-law. It was old and my mortgage broker through it out in the dump. The lady stole her indenity. Got a license in AZ. Went to Washington mutual in Oakland and got $2500 out of there account. My sister noticed it the same day. She called the bank and the police and went to meet them at the bank the next day. While they were meeting with the bank and cops the lady came back in and tryed to take out $5000 this time. The clerk told the manager and the cop walked up and arrested her on the spot. The lady had a copy of my loan app. in her pocket. I couldn't believe that they caught her. My sister bought Lifelock and had no more problems until the other day. My sister must not have renewed her Lifelock this year and it happened again the other day. Get Lifelock and don't let it expire. You also need to go close your accts. ASAP. Good luck brother.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting lifelock too. I'm pretty happy with it and am investigating rolling it out as a benefit to all my employees.

I've had my credit card stolen in the past and that was a major pain in the butt, I can only imagine how much more getting your identity stolen would suck.

I'm not an advocate of the death penalty, but we need some serious laws to deter these scum suckers. If caught, they should be put to work at some menial job and the paycheck go to you for a couple of years to make up for all the damage they have done.

Good luck...

-jeff

i dont sign up for jack shit...and i shred every peice of mail that i discard. i also have the credit card people call me when there is a charge over $100 on my card to verify before approval.

wheredwhogo? said:
i dont sign up for jack shit...and i shred every peice of mail that i discard. i also have the credit card people call me when there is a charge over $100 on my card to verify before approval.
You can shread all you want. There are alot of ways that this happens. You could lose your wallat? Good luck hopefully it won't happen to you too.

Thieves suck!!!!! My bank called me up last month seems somebody was using my debit card in Chicago and Thailand!!!!! I told them I had never used the debit card xcept a few times at atm's on Maui. F#cked up part......I only found this out when I tried to use my atm card and it wouldnt work. Upon calling my bank they then informed me about the 2 questionable charges!!! I then found out that their system had been hacked and peoples card info had been stolen.

In the end...............I have been liquidating all my funds from this institution......IRA, money market etc.....they just lost my business. I have used them for 15 years..........now they have been FIRED!!! LOL

patrick

I use the credit alert provided though Equifax. I get emails and text messages within 24 hours if anything changes on my credit report. To include balance changes over a specific amount. (You pick the amount).

Annu - If you havent done it already you need to place a fraud alert on your credit. This locks it down so new credit apps are not immediately approved but investigated further for validity.
When you report the fraud alert to one bureau they have to by law report it to the others.
Next monitor your credit report every month for a year. Dont worry when you run credit reports on yourself it DOES NOT ding your credit.

Next I would cancel all your bank accounts/CC's and get new account numbers issued.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back