I need a favor..

Pretyflywiteguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Red RC on autotrader, the add says

"One of a kind Ram SRT-10!! Supercharged V-10 with over 700HP. Low, Low Miles and well maintained. Hard loaded including in dash 6 disc CD player. Previously owned by a 79 year old kid." :dontknow:

The truck is located in Irving, Texas, any locals know of the truck? Just trying to get some background because the truck will be my daily and its a GREAT price for "700HP." The trans-am will be my "fast" car.

Help a brotha out!

I would check on it being forged or it will go boom the question is when, if it is cheap enough you can always forge it and not worry.

man i'm just south of irving i'd nhelp you out but tomorrow i go back out to my drilling rig for 7 days

Unless it's forged stay away from it or prepare to forge the engine in addition to the purchase price. One of our members got under 10000 miles on a stock internals with a 703 RWHP Srt10.

SrtBrad said:
Unless it's forged stay away from it or prepare to forge the engine in addition to the purchase price. One of our members got under 10000 miles on a stock internals with a 703 RWHP Srt10.

yeah, i'm not making this truck my money pit, my trans-am is the black hole.

SrtBrad said:

Well, I can only agree about 50% with that, brother Vlad... Did it say that he has 700 at the tire or at the crank...?

My truck was 595rwhp which translates to about 700 at the crank and I had zero problems. I was informed by the experienced members of this forum including Mike Brady and others that 600rwhp was about the stopping point for a stock lower end....

Has that figure been lowered since then.....:confused:

D

Django said:
Well, I can only agree about 50% with that, brother Vlad... Did it say that he has 700 at the tire or at the crank...?

My truck was 595rwhp which translates to about 700 at the crank and I had zero problems. I was informed by the experienced members of this forum including Mike Brady and others that 600rwhp was about the stopping point for a stock lower end....

Has that figure been lowered since then.....:confused:

D

Flchub got under 10K miles on his 703 RWHP truck before the #3 and #5 let go. The lower end of our engines will take 600 RWHP but our pistons between the 1st ring land to the dome of the piston are very brittle with anything over stock RWHP. With any hint of detonation hairline cracks or worse might result due to the close proximity of the first ring land to the dome of the piston.

We have had members including Prof who were inches away from complete failure due to this problem listed above. Your truck might have the same condition as prof if you were to take the engine apart.:dontknow:

I will be taking my NA engine apart that has over 42K hard miles with a bleeding edge tune and hundreds of runs down the 1/4 mile track apart soon. It will be interesting to find out what the condition of the pistons are.

If my memory serves me right the following info is true for our trucks:
1. Anything over stock RWHP with any kind of detonation is very risky on factory pistons.
2. Our rods are good for 700 RWHP max.
3. Our blocks are good to 1500HP without block modification.
4. Our auto trans are good till 650RWHP before risk of failure.
5. Our crank is good till 1000 HP.
6. Our manual trans are good till _____ HP(Fill in the blank).
7. Oil starvation issues occur over 5500 RPM's of which #3 is the first bearing to let go including my engine on a factory oil pump.

Someone please add and/or modify this list so we have a clear understanding of the realistic capabilities of this truck.

quick FYI, if your going to buy the truck...the engine failure is due to the weight of the vehicle and people not knowing how to drive a boosted car with an aggresive tune.
Scott (azpyroguy) got plenty of miles out of his paxton'd SRT10.
plus there has never been an issue with a viper blowing the engine with a paxton...they run 700rwhp.

tune + knowing when to get on it = plenty of happy miles

BurntRubber said:
quick FYI, if your going to buy the truck...the engine failure is due to the weight of the vehicle and people not knowing how to drive a boosted car with an aggresive tune.
Scott (azpyroguy) got plenty of miles out of his paxton'd SRT10.
plus there has never been an issue with a viper blowing the engine with a paxton...they run 700rwhp.

tune + knowing when to get on it = plenty of happy miles

i think i'm going to pass on getting a built truck unless its from the original owner. Like I said before this will be my DD and the trans-am will be my fast car. SRT's are expensive to build and at 20, I don't need two headaches. I have an LT1 for crying out loud, it takes 5 hours to change spark plugs!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ansmission=Manual&max_price=26000&cardist=960

SrtBrad said:
Flchub got under 10K miles on his 703 RWHP truck before the #3 and #5 let go. The lower end of our engines will take 600 RWHP but our pistons between the 1st ring land to the dome of the piston are very brittle with anything over stock RWHP. With any hint of detonation hairline cracks or worse might result due to the close proximity of the first ring land to the dome of the piston.

We have had members including Prof who were inches away from complete failure due to this problem listed above. Your truck might have the same condition as prof if you were to take the engine apart.:dontknow:

I will be taking my NA engine apart that has over 42K hard miles with a bleeding edge tune and hundreds of runs down the 1/4 mile track apart soon. It will be interesting to find out what the condition of the pistons are.

1. Anything over stock RWHP with any kind of detonation is very risky on factory pistons.
5. Our crank is good till 1200 hp:) :) .
7. Oil starvation issues occur over 5500 RPM's of which #3 is the first bearing to let go including my engine on a factory oil pump.

Someone please add and/or modify this list so we have a clear understanding of the realistic capabilities of this truck.
had to change a lil bit for you

SrtBrad said:

5. Our crank is good till 1000 HP.

I too think the crank is good for more than 1000 hp. But your observations are in my mind pretty much dead on. You said I was inches away from blowing...I would say one or two revs over 3000 or fractions of an inch away from destruction...

Start a thread and see if you can get the owners to make your Max Mods post a sticky!

Prof said:
I too think the crank is good for more than 1000 hp. But your observations are in my mind pretty much dead on. You said I was inches away from blowing...I would say one or two revs over 3000 or fractions of an inch away from destruction...

Start a thread and see if you can get the owners to make your Max Mods post a sticky!

Prof I would prefer that you start the thread. You highlighted the piston issues with the cracks and the reasons for it. This thread would be right in line with your findings.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back