I talked to Shawn tonight

Silverback

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We discussed a lot of things, and then the state of the forum came. I told him if he wanted to discuss it fine, but that was not why I called. I called him because I love the man, and missed him. And regardless of what he decides I will continue to stay in touch with him.

He also asked me to clear up a few things for him. We discussed this some more, and I have to say I feel honored to know that he trusts me enough to do this.

Bill (BEGOOD) was correct. The majority of his issue is related to the link that Bill posted. The issues have not changed.

However there were a couple more things that we discussed. They both have to do with the First Amendment that I posted to the Proposed Rules thread. Racial terms. I was surprised by the number of original members that have left due to that issue. I knew they were gone, just not as to why.

The second issue was the lack of respect shown to the moderators/administrators at times. I can understand this. Here you think you are friends with someone, and when they do something and they have to step in, the people turn on them. This is not a job I would want, and when you consider the time that is put into this and it's not a paying job, the least we can do is respect them. Also some of us original members should be helping them out. We know what is right and what's wrong. If someone is getting out of hand, then we should step in and help out.

Well I'm getting tired of typing, and I sure that more than a few of you are tired of hearing what I have to say. Well to F*cking bad. I want to see this place get back to the family I know and love.

And yes, I still sober, damnit.:mad:

This crap is cutting into my beer drinking time.

The racial tensions have had me really upset at times where I wanted to leave as well.

Growing up in South Africa was enough racial tension to last me 20 lifetimes. I wish people could treat other people as they want to be treated. I would love to have Shawn come back. I would like to talk to him if I could persuade him to return.

Racial slurs no matter how they are intended cause problems. Some use them without malice and many of us understand them and know the spirit in which they are used...we understand that they can even be intended as a term to indicate closeness and familiarity...BUT, not everyone takes them that way.

Mikey and I had a short talk about this aspect of his rants...I told him that he had never hurt my feelings with his references to my ethnic background and I meant it. I seldom take offense to those kind of words. But I did tell him that if he had said some of those things in front of my son, that he would have had a physical confrontation on his hands...I think Mikey would have survived very well...but even if my son knows someone very well, he reacts with uncharacteristic rage at even innocent racial slurs.

To me the bottom line is that we all know, if we think about it, that there are those who are upset by racial epitaphs...and out of respect for those people, in a civilized and mature society we constrain our comments to language that does not incite racial strife.

You can call me whatever you want and I won't bristle, but that new guy with 14 posts may not know you as well as I do...and that 14 post count may never get to 15. We want this site to grow, and we want to have diversity of opinion and experience. Shawn and others have expressed their dis-satisfaction with racial slurs, no matter what the intent. I can't imagine why we could not continue without those terms that cast aspersions on someone due to race, religion or national origin.

Just a "minority" opinion...

I too do not get too offended with racial slurs. Infact me an Mikey were just talking about it earlier tonight. I have only blown up once with a racial slur. But it can be a very dicey subject to some people. It is just best not do it at all. Once I made a racial slur to a good friend and he took it to heart and I lost a friend because of it. It is just so hard to tell how someone will react and take it the wrong way.

Then there will be the person that it is not directed too and take offense to it. That is the unseen outcome of such a thing.

Silverback said:

He also asked me to clear up a few things for him. We discussed this some more, and I have to say I feel honored to know that he trusts me enough to do this.

Bill (BEGOOD) was correct. The majority of his issue is related to the link that Bill posted. The issues have not changed.

Then I am VERY curious as to why certain people were saying (that) they talked to Shawn, and MIKEY was to blame for his departure. :mad: :dontknow:

I'm getting real sick of the Power-Brokering being used around here by some, and rumor spreading when the parties involved aren't here to stick up for themselves.

I'm glad Shawn is talking... I've tried (from several different people) to get his phone number over the last week, or so.... Could you please PM it to me, John? :confused: I lost it when I changed phones. :(

Thanks for the update. I hope he can find it in his heart to come back and give us another chance.

Jake dont pansy around with the names;) , I do not power broke, I was just going on what Shawn actually told me, this is why I have tried to stay outta situations.

I dont lie Jake, not one bit:mad: I am saying basically the same thing as Silver, silver is putting it one way, and I am blunt.

Mike was banned for a reason, Shawn left for a reason, I have talked to Shawn the last few days personally, actually 3 minutes ago.

I basically stated that mike IS part of the reason.

Stinker said:
Jake dont pansy around with the names;) , I do not power broke, I was just going on what Shawn actually told me, this is why I have tried to stay outta situations.

I dont lie Jake, not one bit:mad: I am saying basically the same thing as Silver, silver is putting it one way, and I am blunt.

Mike was banned for a reason, Shawn left for a reason, I have talked to Shawn the last few days personally, actually 3 minutes ago.

You have PM... And I just got yours... Mine should answer it. Thanks for the number, I appreciate it... I couldn't remember the last two fckn numbers! :eek:

The racial slurs don't bother me either but honestly if I didn't know you guys, I would probably be pretty pissed sometimes as well.
Try using some of em here in Miami :D

X3 :rock: :rock: :rock:

Stinker said:

Shawn and I talked about this specific item Stinker, so let me see if I can set the record straight.

Shawn did not leave because of Mikey. Shawn was upset, no, that's not right. Shawn was disappointed in something that Mikey did. Not mad, not upset, but disappointed. But he was not a factor in Shawn's departure.

Now before you and I go toe to toe over this, I need to explain something else. In talking to Shawn I can see where you may have taken what he said to mean that. It would have been easy to do. However when taken in context with the entire discussion, along with other points that he made, it was clear that Mikey did not play a part in this.

Hope that makes sense my friend.

Hmm..This just gets more convoluted every day..I dont understand really what went on..Mikey gets a vacation, Shawn leaves, Jack and Patrick are virtually mute about the whole thing, Everyone says let it go, but it doesnt happen..Supposedly people are dropping off the face of the earth due to all of this, and wont be back..There were racial slurs, disrespect, and general ill will somewhere, sometime on here..Some think this is a huge problem, some dont see it as such..
We bitch and moan about things people post. Some post stuff for attention, some post to share their experiences, some post to give information. Whatever the reason, we are here because we choose to be..If this place causes so much turmoil in your life that you actually get mad, or upset, then maybe you need to take a break..read a book, take a dump, go buy more beer..whatever.
Will some of these people return, probably..Will some not return, probably..Will the forum be the same if they dont, probably, except we have lost that persons veiwpoint.
I guess I am just trying to make sense of a senseless situation. There are too many things to ponder here, and too much behind the scenes..
Lets move on..next problem please..Lifes too short...

(Dont mean to perpetuate the ongoing drama here..Just adding my .02 which really doesnt mean squat..)

It appears Riff has hit what I am thinking on the head. But he is not the only one making sense here. I think everyone that has offered input thus far on this matter speaks from the heart. The heart.. I always felt that was what this place was about. It’s not just trucks that bind us here. Funny as it may sound (especially since so many of us hadn’t personally met) it’s about friendship. Until now I didn’t realize this whole situation had to do with racial slurs or Shawn being disappointed for something about Mikey OR WHATEVER. That is because many times (and recently) I did what Riff proposed; it really works. I stepped away from the forum to take a breather before getting bent out of shape over the things other members say.. And I underscore SAY because it’s all just words here that we are reading. If you don’t like what someone posted then move on to another thread. There are plenty other threads around here to read and respond to. If that’s an undoable solution then leave for a while. As someone said somewhere on another thread, take a walk, look at a mountain, look at the blue skies above your head or a majestic tree and just KNOW that whatever tribulations that transpire here are insignificant.

If this post upsets anyone I apologize many times over. It's not like I am used to members paying attention to what I say anyway. I’m just troubled with what I am seeing here and I’m exercising my opinion that we all have. None of us are children on this forum. Like what was mentioned earlier I would just like to see this place revert back to being the great informative and entertaining getaway as it always has been before without the unnecessary drama caused by opinions and silly slurs. We can’t control what people think or say so why waste our precious time boiling over about it?
:dontknow:

I think a lot has been said here lately, and most of it makes perfect sense.

I guess i am very lucky, because I was raised by parents that are not racial in any way. They taught me to live like MLK said, judge people by there character, not there skin color. I have been very lucky in my life to meet and know some wonderful people of all races. This truck brought all of us together, and even though some of us no longer own their truck, they are still our family. We must put aside petty differences, and move on.
Hell I can't stand Hillary Clinton, but I will defend Roy's right to support her, because in the end things like that are not what really matter.
While this site is fun, it truly is the GTGs that are the best, when you get to meet the people and spend time with them you really cherish what this place does for all of us.

OK, I have rambled on long enough, I hope I was able to get my meaning across properly.

Bill.

Venom Power said:
If this post upsets anyone I apologize many times over. It's not like I am used to members paying attention to what I say anyway. :dontknow:

Did you say something?:dontknow: ;) :p :D

If it makes you feel better, I pay attention. :rock:

Silverback said:
Shawn and I talked about this specific item Stinker, so let me see if I can set the record straight.

Shawn did not leave because of Mikey. Shawn was upset, no, that's not right. Shawn was disappointed in something that Mikey did. Not mad, not upset, but disappointed. But he was not a factor in Shawn's departure.

Now before you and I go toe to toe over this, I need to explain something else. In talking to Shawn I can see where you may have taken what he said to mean that. It would have been easy to do. However when taken in context with the entire discussion, along with other points that he made, it was clear that Mikey did not play a part in this.

Hope that makes sense my friend.

In respect my hairy buddy, I will say this and then nothing else on the subject, for that matter , not another contraversial subject, its jsut too tiring.

I was talkin with Shawn when it was posted, and everyone interprites everything differently, But this is the just of what Shawn spoke, and he give me the ok to quote him
Mikey gets started on a subject, then others follow, then it gets worse, he has many "followers" so as the subject gets heated he goes deeper and deeper, and the others folllow, so therein lies the problem, he gets it started, aggs it on, so where would be the root of the problem?
There are other problems that lef my big bud to take off also, one being overworked on the forum, another with a admin, but in my converstations with him , it keeps comming back to one person, and the fact that others "feed" off that person.
Now we can all take that , twist it, interprit that anyway you would like,I am not against Mike whatsoever, i jsut think he needs to tone things down a tad in some instances, and that being the other case, Shawn had had conversations with him before and asked him to tone it down a little, and for awhile it worked, then when it came to a head as of late, Shawn jsut got tired of being a hypocrite.

Take it as you may

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back