idle hangs a little

Reaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my idle is hanging a little around 1500rpm. It just started and its not all the time. If I goose the gas it will drop right down to normal. I searched on here and I read this maybe a couple things with my BBK throttle body..1) clean throttle body with cleaner 2) replace TPS.

So I ordered my TPS from Dodge and plan on getting a cleaner from parts store. My question is can I spray the TB clean while bolted to intake or do I need to remove it from truck.. Be nice to just remove my CAI

thanks

You can spray throttle body cleaner while its on, I honestly would recommend using seafoam though. There is absolutely no way it can hurt anything in any engine. As for the TPS, Im on my 3rd one and get them at autozone for 20 bucks. What did dodge charge you? Mine go out so often that I just ride around with a spare lol.

Thanks,, Dodge wants $75.. I may need to take trip to autozone instead.. Sounds like the TPS goes out pretty regularly on our trucks

Think it has to do with water getting to that sensor being in top and being a rotating sensor (potentiometer):)

Think it has to do with water getting to that sensor being in top and being a rotating sensor (potentiometer):)

Im new to these trucks.. So what does this mean ? Can you take one off thats acting up and dry it out ? Can used one be fix ?

Im new to these trucks.. So what does this mean ? Can you take one off thats acting up and dry it out ? Can used one be fix ?

No sir it's internal. Imagine how much this sensor moves while you drive, changing positions constantly! They wear and I think the internals corrode on the contacts of sweeping pickups that move and loose touch with the corresponding contact points. Clean your idle air control valve below TPS as well.

well damn.,, I cleaned my BBK throttle body and replaced the TPS with a new OEM TPS.. Truck idle is still sticking.. If I wire the throttle cable correctly, over the top it sticks at 2500rpm.. if I relax the cable off the arch peice on TB idle sticks at 1500 rpm...WTH..!

my TB and intake inlet had some gummy stuff, very little.. So it was cleaned well, along with lower sensor on intake.(not sure name of that sensor )

any ideas ? is it possible my BBK throttle body is causing this ? I also added a spring for more tension to bring truck back to idle and that only made my gas peddle more stiff

You can adjust the idle screw on the TB to see if that helps. If it still hangs it may be the TB butterflies are gummed up and need a good cleaning. Some older TB butterflies needed a little fine tuning with some sandpaper to free them up.

You can adjust the idle screw on the TB to see if that helps. If it still hangs it may be the TB butterflies are gummed up and need a good cleaning. Some older TB butterflies needed a little fine tuning with some sandpaper to free them up.

Idle screw is set where it belongs and is not in way.. I cleaned it really good today and still sticking.. Ill need to look into the sanding part you mentioned.. Thanks for input

If i goose the gas peddle the idle comes down most of times to what it should be

I nearly went nuts with mine hanging up. Chris Jensen data logged and then tuned the issue out, as we drove around in my truck.

Yeah I have the same issue. Mine isn't neary as bad thou. I was thinking that is the cable that is sticking cause a tap to the gas usually drops my rpm. Just a theory thou

I can actually see the throttle on the TB sticking and not completely touching the set screw when my truck is running. A quick tap of the gas pedal usually corrects it then. If the truck is off, throttle snaps back completely everytime, flush against the set or idle screw

mines been hanging ever since I changed my tune, I tried to put back my old tune and its still hanging.. WTF..its not the tb..it was working fine before the tune..torrie said he has no control over the tps in the tune

mines been hanging ever since I changed my tune, I tried to put back my old tune and its still hanging.. WTF..its not the tb..it was working fine before the tune..torrie said he has no control over the tps in the tune

Chris does. He fixed it with me in the truck.:)

wondering if you guys responding on my thread all have a BBK TB ? it seems alot of us have same issue

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back