idle spiking....

J.Cunningham

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive got an 05 qc. Just purchased about a month ago so still working out and finding all the bugs. i have just started experiencing short spikes in idle rpm when in park. it usually stays around 750 but will jump to around 1000 randomly for a split second. Anyone else have this issue?

Start by cleaning your t-body and IAC motor and changing your tps sensor. More than likely that's all it is. Both very simple and cheap.

I ended up just changing the Idle air control valve and everything seems fine now.

I cleaned mine and it works for a few days then started doing the spiking thing, especially after it rain and the air was humid it would always get stuck. I changed it with one from autozone which ironically appeared to be the same one I was replacing that previous owner had put in. Its a cheap part, and fixed my issue as well.

Ive since put on a oil breather cap from roe and a catch can from JMB to reduce the oil crude that the TB would suck in which im sure was gumming up the IAC as well.

Of couse the day that I say it's all good it stats acting up again. I have a new IAC and cleaned my throttle body a bit when I got the truck a few month ago. Guess I'll look at my throttle body again, and change tps.

I'm also begging to wonder if the paxton fuel set up on my truck that à prévois owner left when he took off his super charger could be cousing my issues. Just thinking out loud. I'd like to pull that stuff off. Just not sure how involved it would be.

I cleaned mine and it works for a few days then started doing the spiking thing, especially after it rain and the air was humid it would always get stuck. I changed it with one from autozone which ironically appeared to be the same one I was replacing that previous owner had put in. Its a cheap part, and fixed my issue as well.

Ive since put on a oil breather cap from roe and a catch can from JMB to reduce the oil crude that the TB would suck in which im sure was gumming up the IAC as well.

This is troubling me! there shouldn't be much oil and crud getting to the TB. There are baffles in the Rocker Covers.......AND you say, the previous owner had a paxton on it? You should do a compresion test and leakdown test to determine the condition of the pistons/Head gaskets .... just my 2 cents..

I'm also begging to wonder if the paxton fuel set up on my truck that à prévois owner left when he took off his super charger could be cousing my issues. Just thinking out loud. I'd like to pull that stuff off. Just not sure how involved it would be.

Nah it's not the Paxton box. Likely time for a TPS sensor. I can bring ya one by and you can try it and see how it does. If IAC is new, that's what I'd do. These trucks PCM don't seen to respond to out of spec sensors or failing sensors well at all. Do check for any codes stored though in case. Cycle key 3 times from off to on within a few seconds and read codes on odometer.

This is troubling me! there shouldn't be much oil and crud getting to the TB. There are baffles in the Rocker Covers.......AND you say, the previous owner had a paxton on it? You should do a compresion test and leakdown test to determine the condition of the pistons/Head gaskets .... just my 2 cents..

Slither you ate getting mixed up. Mine had a paxton on it. That was another guys post you qouted. Anyways I did change the tps today tue to other issues that came up wile driving. Everything seems fine now. I don't think I have any need to do a compression test. thanks for your penny's Though.

Nah it's not the Paxton box. Likely time for a TPS sensor. I can bring ya one by and you can try it and see how it does. If IAC is new, that's what I'd do. These trucks PCM don't seen to respond to out of spec sensors or failing sensors well at all. Do check for any codes stored though in case. Cycle key 3 times from off to on within a few seconds and read codes on odometer.

Thanks buddy, but I grabbed one at autozone earlier today. Started having worse issues on the road due to the tps. All is good now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back