Illinois Emission Tests

viperchamp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unfortunate living in one of the few parts of IL where they make you test a vehicle reading the OBC for emission compliance. I can't pass or ever will because my SRT isn't driven enough; or due to disconnecting the battery terminal; or trickle charging the battery. All these factors contribute to never allowing a "ready" light for them.:mad:
I use my truck riding to either car shows or 'cruise outings', which I've only put 2300 miles of actual and total miles on. I know I'm bad for not getting her out more, but I use her for show. Unless the weather is perfect, I don't take her out. She's garage kept and in heated conditions during the winter. Yes, I'll get her exercised in between the other times, but not enough to pass the state EPA test. I drove all last year using one of my buddies dealership plates, since my plates couldn't be renewed. He doesn't have his dealership anymore, so I can't go that route again.
My dilemma is that I applied for a "emission waiver, for show car status", and received their reply back saying, 'they're declining my request'. I sent them all necessary papers, insurance, and pictures to hear their closing comment that to them, 'they see this as a pleasure vehicle'.:(
This truck is s/c'd and tuned accordingly. One can see from the "partial list of mods", I use this ride for shows.
The question now is, does anyone know what would make the EPA accept the waiver or another recourse? I don't want to re-title the truck to someone I'm not sure of, in another county either. I'm sure that someone from our club had to experience this same situation before. What other options are there?:confused:

Lost in Disneyland!

it doesnt take much to run the monitors. It can usually be done by driving 30 minutes on highway and 30 minutes around town after a cold start.

viperchamp said:
I'm unfortunate living in one of the few parts of IL where they make you test a vehicle reading the OBC for emission compliance. I can't pass or ever will because my SRT isn't driven enough; or due to disconnecting the battery terminal; or trickle charging the battery. All these factors contribute to never allowing a "ready" light for them.:mad:
I use my truck riding to either car shows or 'cruise outings', which I've only put 2300 miles of actual and total miles on. I know I'm bad for not getting her out more, but I use her for show. Unless the weather is perfect, I don't take her out. She's garage kept and in heated conditions during the winter. Yes, I'll get her exercised in between the other times, but not enough to pass the state EPA test. I drove all last year using one of my buddies dealership plates, since my plates couldn't be renewed. He doesn't have his dealership anymore, so I can't go that route again.
My dilemma is that I applied for a "emission waiver, for show car status", and received their reply back saying, 'they're declining my request'. I sent them all necessary papers, insurance, and pictures to hear their closing comment that to them, 'they see this as a pleasure vehicle'.:(
This truck is s/c'd and tuned accordingly. One can see from the "partial list of mods", I use this ride for shows.
The question now is, does anyone know what would make the EPA accept the waiver or another recourse? I don't want to re-title the truck to someone I'm not sure of, in another county either. I'm sure that someone from our club had to experience this same situation before. What other options are there?:confused:

Lost in Disneyland!

I think you have a mis-conception about the testing...but I could be wrong.

I too live in Illinois (Lake County) and I passed the emission test last fall.

The test they conducted is simply an OBDII read. If you have driven 30 to 40 miles since your CPM has been cold booted and if you are not throwing a CEL code you will pass. There is no visual check, and no sniff test.

I have a more radically modified truck than you...it also is a garage queen.

Bring it by, I'll check it for codes and we can take it to the testing site here and you should be good to go. Seriously, I was very worried about it (no cats at all) and it sounds heavily modified...but I had no problem what so ever...

If you have further questions pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk...PM me either way...I need to add you to my spring GTG list!

Roy

Prof said:
Bring it by, I'll check it for codes and we can take it to the testing site here and you should be good to go. Seriously, I was very worried about it (no cats at all) and it sounds heavily modified...but I had no problem what so ever...
Can your scanner read the I/M readiness tests/status? That will give us an idea of what system is failing.

Its my perception that he is not failing just not taking it to the test station after checking for the CEL and putting 30 to 40 miles on it to reboot the computer...

But I am often wrong...lets see what he says...

another tip to know if your monitors have completed. Turn your key to the on run position but do not start, wait 10 seconds, if the check engine light flashes one or more of the monitors are not complete or if the light stays on solid all the monitors are complete

TheMoparConnection said:
another tip to know if your monitors have completed. Turn your key to the on run position but do not start, wait 10 seconds, if the check engine light flashes one or more of the monitors are not complete or if the light stays on solid all the monitors are complete

DAMN you da man :rock:

The "Evaporative Control System" & Heated Oxygen Senor" say NOT READY. The secondary air system; a/c refrigerant; EGR flow; & heated catalyst reports say NOT SUPPORTED! The other 5 tests said READY.
In reply to Mopar Connection, I turned the key on and waited. The 'check engine light' flashed about 6-8 times and then stayed on steady. Course it went off after starting the engine.
True, I never drove more than 30 miles prior to the test. I will contact the Prof and make the arrangements for his experience. Thanks everyone, "guess there is light at the end of a tunnel".
I only went through the EPA test this one and only time once. Since all I've drove are diesels for the last twenty years, I'm not familiar with the emission testing seen. But once again, this forum proves its value when you can communicate with friends that have the same ride. You guys are great!

V/C

Your drive up here will resolve the monitor issues...we will scan for codes and get you to the test station next week. I think we can have you with license plates and an emission "pass" in short order.

Weather is finally clearing, so you need to be able to ride!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back