In Frame Head and Cam Swap Possible?

I've heard of it being done, but honestly, in my opinion it would be easier to just lift the cab off the frame if you don't want to pull the engine.

Prof said:
I've heard of it being done, but honestly, in my opinion it would be easier to just lift the cab off the frame if you don't want to pull the engine.
Thats an innovative idea. It eliminates the need for an engine stand.

I believe to pull the cam you just take the radiator and condensor out then you can pull the cam out the front. You should be able to do it with the motor in the truck.

it can be done easily, the head and cam swap is sraight forward,

but the entire front end must be removed to get the cam out, the radiator,

front frame, then front cover, and oil pan dropped down.

taliban dan swapped my cam out in frame on my QC he was reasonable too. he used to be on here.

I did my own 2005 QC and, as mentioned on the Gen IIIs you have to drop the pan enough (and raise the engine to be able to do that) to disconnect the oil pickup tube that is bolted to the bottom of the block as it 90s and press-fits into the bottom of the oil pump/timing chain cover.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
I did my 2005 QC and, as mentioned on the Gen IIIs you have to drop the pan (and raise the engine to be able to do that). After that, you have to disconnect the oil pickup tube that is bolted to the bottom of the block as it 90s and press-fits into the bottom of the oil pump/timing chain cover.

yup i forgot about tube ,,:congrats:

prof said:
I've heard of it being done, but honestly, in my opinion it would be easier to just lift the cab off the frame if you don't want to pull the engine..
They did this same method at the ford deal when my diesel blew it's head gasket......
left the frame on the floor and the cab was hoisted via the lift

Yes, just like Stinker said. Can be done in a day. Don't need to pull engine.

Radiator is the biggest pain to get out of the way.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back