Increasing Octane

ramsrt711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys where I live I can only get 91 octane. I would like to raise octane to see if I can increase power. I just dont know if octane boosters actually work. Maybe mixing a small amount of racing fuel with full or 3/4 of a tank of gas. This would be mainly for the track. Any ideas guys or recomendations. Thanks.

Most boosters are misleading. They say will raise your octane 3 points leading you to think 91 goes to 94....actually they only raise it to 91.3.....points = tenths......number = whole............two boosters proved by 3rd party testing to raise octane numbers are Lucas and Torco.......Lucas can get close to 99 octane...Torco 100+............both are the only boosters recommended by Kenne Bell for use with their superchargers tuned for high octane..........

Lucas can be found in most parts stores.....I have only found Torco online......I have used both with 100 octane tunes by Torrie with no detonation detected....

I just wanted to raise it a little say 94 or a little higher. Whats the highest we can go without a tune. Im going to evenually get motor built and tuned but wanted to experiment with a couple of upgrades for now. I will look into Lucas and Torco. Thanks TNViper. Im trying to get the most out of those slicks.

Octane boost

We have been using Devils own injection with a 50% Water to Methanol mix
it cools the intake charge and increases octane. The unit can be set for either boost or vacuum and can increase up to 10 to 15 octane points. I am planing on trying one on my QC this spring.

We have been using Devils own injection with a 50% Water to Methanol mix
it cools the intake charge and increases octane. The unit can be set for either boost or vacuum and can increase up to 10 to 15 octane points. I am planing on trying one on my QC this spring.

Let me know how it goes. Thats a possibility. What does the kit cost and do you have to tune afterwards.

Water Meth

On the turbo cars we have added it before the final tune on the dyno and got great improvements, but on the SRT10 not sureI will ask
Torrie tomorrow when I call about the SCT tuner I just got from him. The owner of Devils own said he did not believe i would need one.

raising your octane bo is dangerous, one without tuning your doing nothing but slinging money out the window,
but if you do tune for the higher octane, you must allways carry some with you, unless you use the sct and have a tune especially for the higher octane.

but meth does help , but again, its a bandaid way of making hp, it does work, but if you tune for it, and happen to run out, well there ya are, needing more octane.

but I would stick with those that originated the meth systems, snow performance has the most reliable systems, wtih the best warranties

Thanks Tony. What if I raised it to what some of ya are getting at the tank. I dont know if it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks Tony. What if I raised it to what some of ya are getting at the tank. I dont know if it would be worth the trouble.

for a couple ponies? honestly? not really, actually most of the 93 octane pumps are really putting out about between 91-93, so your not going to gain anything

if you really want to gain in the hp department and make the most of what you have "now" at this moment, it would be better spent getting a dyno tune, for your area and the fuel you normally run, that way what you have at the moment can be optimized

I have been wanting to get a tune real bad just nobody near by does Vipers and I would not trust just anybody touching my truck. Working as a Directional Driller you are always on call. I might have to just find someone and drive the distance.

I have been wanting to get a tune real bad just nobody near by does Vipers and I would not trust just anybody touching my truck. Working as a Directional Driller you are always on call. I might have to just find someone and drive the distance.

I knwo this is a long shot, but try to make it to panama with iron head and get torrie to tune it there bo

I proably have a better chance waiting to Torrie to go to Houston like he did a while back. If I know in advance I can ask for a day or two off. And that is still a maybe.

The last two vacations I took were to go to see my 2 daughters graduate in Florida. One one yr and the other the next yr. So its my wifes turn.

Octane rating has NOTHING to do with the power output of an engine.

If you put a 93 Octane fuel in a vehicle designed for 89 octane you will not damage anything other than the amount of money in your pocket.

The only reason there are different octane ratings is to allow a higher compression ratios, and thus higher temperatures and pressures. The higher compression ratio’s is what translates to higher power output.

You will however damage an engine if you run 89 octane in an engine that specifies 93 octane as the fuel will ignite through the pressure and not the spark.

OK guys where I live I can only get 91 octane. I would like to raise octane to see if I can increase power. I just dont know if octane boosters actually work. Maybe mixing a small amount of racing fuel with full or 3/4 of a tank of gas. This would be mainly for the track. Any ideas guys or recomendations. Thanks.

if your motor is not pinging, leave the octane alone. to make the most power, you want the lowest octane that doesn't make the motor ping!!!
octane=harder to burn

Octane rating has NOTHING to do with the power output of an engine.

If you put a 93 Octane fuel in a vehicle designed for 89 octane you will not damage anything other than the amount of money in your pocket.

The only reason there are different octane ratings is to allow a higher compression ratios, and thus higher temperatures and pressures. The higher compression ratio’s is what translates to higher power output.

You will however damage an engine if you run 89 octane in an engine that specifies 93 octane as the fuel will ignite through the pressure and not the spark.

unless you tune for it. I got torrie to make a fuel economy tune for my truck for the winter. Got better mpg and im able to put 89 octane in the truck and im not having any issues.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back