Installed t-stat today

SCRAMBLER13

Reaction score
I installed my B&G PCM a couple of months ago and decided to install my 170 T-stat today. I installed it in about 45 minutes thanks to that shitty lower left bolt. I them added watter wetter and topped off the radiator. I was hoping that the watter wetter would decrease the temps a little. I took her out for a run and it ran just as hot as ever. NO DIFFERENCE. I may try an extra fan next. It runs 200-215 in town. If any better suggestions please tell me.

Wade

SCRAMBLER13 said:
I installed my B&G PCM a couple of months ago and decided to install my 170 T-stat today. I installed it in about 45 minutes thanks to that shitty lower left bolt. I them added watter wetter and topped off the radiator. I was hoping that the watter wetter would decrease the temps a little. I took her out for a run and it ran just as hot as ever. NO DIFFERENCE. I may try an extra fan next. It runs 200-215 in town. If any better suggestions please tell me.

Wade

Wade,
I'm installing my thermostat today, and I've ordered one of Boomer's aux fan kits. Once I get all that on I can let you know if it collectively helped.

scrambler13

Great, I would like to get the temps down a little. Any help or info. would be nice.

Wade

SCRAMBLER13 said:
Great, I would like to get the temps down a little. Any help or info. would be nice.

Wade

I'm on a mission to get the temps down. It gets really hot around here in the summer time and I don't like sitting in rush hour traffic worrying about having the A/C on and the engine temp climbing. I really think the electric fan will solve the problem, as well as make the A/C perform better at low speeds, but we'll see soon enough I guess. Boomer supposedly shipped the fan kit this week, so I may be able to get it on sometime next week.

SCRAMBLER13 said:

Wade

Don't know where you're located or what the outside temps are, but did you get on the highway, put it in 6th, and cruise for a while? That type of driving should bring the temps down some (assuming it's not too hot outside). Though, once you hammer on it or get back in town (start/stop driving), the engine temps will go right back up to 200.

Temps

I have seen many people change to the 170 t-stat,why all the flash people have you switch is beyond me?,they know it will not change the temp,electric fans,maybe help,,does anyone have their truck running 170-180?,the SRT-ENGINEERS,say there is no problem running 200-220,I know we would have better performance if it was cooler,I know the only low ET'S have been run in real cool weather,
SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER ?
Bill

in my experience the truck cools down quicker with the lower temp t-stat (when you get off the throttle or are just crusing) it is in the mid nineties here and i rarely see it at 210*, mostly runs at 200*.

Hamrhead said:
Don't know where you're located or what the outside temps are, but did you get on the highway, put it in 6th, and cruise for a while? That type of driving should bring the temps down some (assuming it's not too hot outside). Though, once you hammer on it or get back in town (start/stop driving), the engine temps will go right back up to 200.
On the highway I see 165-180 depending on weather.The hottest so far has been 80 -82 and I ran 180 on the highway and 195-200 around town.

It will be interesting when it gets 90+ what the temps run.I would expect no change.Once my sponsor gets the new flash software to reprogram the PCM we`ll turn on the fan sooner and make some other changes.

ROKTMAN said:
On the highway I see 165-180 depending on weather.The hottest so far has been 80 -82 and I ran 180 on the highway and 195-200 around town.

It will be interesting when it gets 90+ what the temps run.I would expect no change.Once my sponsor gets the new flash software to reprogram the PCM we`ll turn on the fan sooner and make some other changes.

What did you do to get your temps down? Mine has run 200-210 since day one.

scrambler13

It is 82 here today. It ran up to 215 in town and out on the road in 6th gear it would drop down to about 190 maybe, but closer to 195. I would have loved to see it down to 180. I guess I will try something else.

Wade

As of this morning I did a little creative wiring and after 2 diodes, a resistor and a relay I have tapped into the factory wiring to the stock cooling fan. I now have manual control over the cooling fan without setting any check enigne lights. The stock fan on full speed sure moves a lot of air!

Most people think that by running a lower temp stat you'll lower your operating temps. Not necessarily so.
The T-stats purpose is to stop the flow of water so the water can cool in the radiator.
If your engine normally runs in the 200 range then the stat will be staying open all the time(it opens at 170 right?)thus giving the water no time to cool in the rad. If enough air is not moving across the rad at slow speeds the water will not have given off enough heat before its returned to the block.
Big problem I see with the V-10 trucks is that the Rad is stacked up behind the A/c condensor,p/s cooler,& trans cooler(some).
I dont know what the normal factory stat is set at, but if you run a 190 stat without any additional cooling fans the temps should hover around the 190-195 range. Running a 170 with a modified fan setting would be the best way to go.
Another thing to look at is where the temp sending unit is located. a cylinder head will always read hotter than any other spot on the engine.

I had the same issue after installing the T-Stat. Temps did not not drop in stop and go traffic. Installed one of Boomers push fans and controller and now I average about 195 degrees in town. Dropped about 6 degrees. I have another one of his fans on the way to help drop it even more. It also helps with the AC cooling, I did notice a colder output. We have been around 100 degrees here for about two weeks now, we will be around a predicted 110 in a week or so. The true test is coming.

Last edited:
scrambler13

Stingray said:
As of this morning I did a little creative wiring and after 2 diodes, a resistor and a relay I have tapped into the factory wiring to the stock cooling fan. I now have manual control over the cooling fan without setting any check enigne lights. The stock fan on full speed sure moves a lot of air!

I would really like to see some instructions for that. Maybe even some pics. That sounds like the way to go for cooling these beasts down. Thanks for the input.

Wade

SCRAMBLER13 said:
I would really like to see some instructions for that. Maybe even some pics. That sounds like the way to go for cooling these beasts down. Thanks for the input.

Wade
I would like to give this a little more time to see if everything works out fine.

I had chris @ DC performance program my PCM to 170 and I installed a 170 t-stat. Mine wont go over 170 even if I try! My oil and my temp stays @ 170.

Rice Eater said:
What is the trick to getting at the lower left bolt on the T stat housing...I am going to install mine tonight!

The right length extension or nut driver. It's not that hard really, you just can't see it, and if you don't have the correct length tool, the fan gets in the way.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back