Intake Air Question

rreinicherr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it better to have more air or faster air flow into the intake? I have always wondered what the rule of thumb is????

THANKS!

Superchargers and Turbos work by compressing the air (PSI). When air is compressed, more of it fits in a given space.

The speed of the air flow is important only in that it keeps up with the demand. Speed also helps to influence the compression.

I think....

rreinicherr said:
Is it better to have more air or faster air flow into the intake? I have always wondered what the rule of thumb is????

THANKS!

In the early 70s when auto manufacturers didn't know how to produce power AND meet emissions, the aftermarket stepped in with some small port (high velocity) intake manifolds. Edelbrock had one called an SP2P. They operated well up to a certain r.p.m. and then became a restriction for w.o.t. use. They were supposed to be more for low(er) end torque instead of high r.p.m. horsepower (popular in the truck market). Offenhauser had their Dual-Port "360" manifold which had small "primary" passages and bigger "secondary" passages cast into the same manifold, which tried to have the best of both worlds.
Larger ports, slower movement, small, faster..you get the picture...

Sorry, no easy answer here; I guess it depends on what someone is after.

Last edited:
Well,all I can say is that once my New Hood goes on Saturday,there should be a lot more Cold air for the Intake to scavenge from !!!!We shall see if there's any improvement !!! :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back