Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by rottenronnie, Mar 17, 2021.

1. caveman

caveman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What is "SFA"?

Hard to imagine a straight taper intake runner, especially in an NA application like a '10, would result in less than optimal cylinder pressure. Did you calculate current intake volume per cylinder? I realize this number is static. But, because it is a critical input when calculating actual volume, it may be useful when analyzing any changes and determining potential modifications in the future.

2. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SFA= Sweet Fuck All (the result of putting headers on my truck with my current combination).

Our OEM intake runners are essentially without taper.

Straight (non-tapered runners) rely on kinetic energy which is what I'm trying to promote with a straight runner.
    The longer (no tapered runner) should "tune" in the 2800 to 4000 rpm range which is where the increased of 50 or so lbs. ft. of torque is created. That is the result of using a Gen II Intake on a Gen III engine with NO increase in peak horsepower and is what I'm trying to emulate.

Tapered runners rely more on velocity to the point where the necked down area becomes a restriction and can no longer flow air at the higher rpms.

These are general statements that don't take into considerations like phases of the moon nor planetary alignment.

It is definitely a divided camp between "To Taper or Not to Taper".

Airflow can be a funny thing and I DO know that you have to be very careful manipulating a naturally aspirated engine.
    As a sidebar I also know that continuing to increase cylinder head flow does NOT continue to increase engine power.

Plenum volume will be (at least) doubled which should support the additional runner length.

A small amount of runner taper will be introduced as well.

The Intake is the last area to be modified as everything else has been tweaked (so far)

I'm not an Airflow Engineer but even they cant seem to agree on whether runner taper is the answer or not.

Unless I try things for myself, I wont know the result(s) AND every combination is different so a definitive answer may or may not be true with another combination.

Cheers.

Wifey likes this.
  3. Kiwi SRT10

Kiwi SRT10 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Meanwhile back in New Zealand...Covid who?
    It's so last year
    Apparently the greens in NZ are going to solve global warming all by themselves.
    They want to shut down the last industry here and import everything. (clever bunch)
    Ride bicycles wear sandals and sing Kum-by-yah

Wifey, AMS3 and rottenronnie like this.
  4. rottenronnie

I was asked the other day how I really felt about working in an industry that contributed to global warming.

I said great thanks, nice and warm.

Wifey, AMS3 and Srt10650 like this.
  5. Kiwi SRT10

Kiwi SRT10 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just found out they are putting a cycle track in to go from Timaru to Fairlie.
    So the same people who are pannicking about climate change are going to drive for 2 hours in their SUV's with bicycles all over them. Get out and huff and puff shit loads of CO2 on this cycle track all day then drive all the way back to Christchurch and feel all green and virtuous with their 4 children....shouldn't be breeding either

Wifey, AMS3 and rottenronnie like this.
  6. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

BWAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Wifey likes this.
  7. yellow446

yellow446 Full Access Member

Hey bud . If you still need intake manifold let me know . I’m going to Calgary next weekend and I have extra one

8. rottenronnie

I was able to locate an Intake and wheels but thanks for the offer!