interesting coincidence.... 6sp trans

Chuck B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original owner of my 05 RC now with140k. I installed a B&M shifter when they were first offered them back in 06. Much better than stock. Truck sat hardly used the last few yrs but started driving it almost daily last fall. I began to notice the shifter would fall out of its position with a little pressure. Trans shifted fine and never slipped out of gear. I assumed the shifter itself was worn...detent slots? Anyways, a couple months later it got much worse...handle would flob all around but again shifting was perfect and never slipped out of gear. It was bad enough that I was considering throwing the stock shifter back in to verify it was the shifter and not the trans itself.

Before I got around to it my slave unit gave up. Luckily leaving me stranded at home. A call to JMB had a new viper upgrade mstr and slave at my door a few days later. I'm no auto mechanic but know my way with tools. I assumed it would be an easy swap...I didn't realize the trans would have to come out to replace the slave. Undeterred, the dog and I got it done the other morning. Me doing the work and him supervising lol. Trans came out easy but took me a bit longer to get it back in....3hrs total.

I used a speed bleeder and got a firm peddle. Started the truck and success! However, my previously floppy shift lever felt brand new. Even a firm pull while in gear it would not come out of position. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how the issues are related. Can anyone offer a logical correlation? THIA

BTW...driving it reconfirmed my love for the truck and so i stopped by my dealer for some up grades; lower ball joints, upper arms, wheel bearing hubs, spark plugs, new coils, wires, fuel injectors then for some bling JMB catless mids with Billy Boat exhaust. Here's to another 140k!!

Was the slave not allowing the clutch to completely release which allowed the shifter to come out of gear easier? When you pulled the trans was there a groove worn in the pressure plate potentially showing signs of that? I am grasping at straws with this because I can't see the two being linked together otherwise.

I think the 2 bolts that hold the shifter handle to the shifter were loose?.....maybe...or the shifter base bolts were loose

I experienced a problem like that about a week or so after installing my JTSVP Gen II shifter. Luckily I only tolerated that for a few miles.

The 2 bolts that hold the shifter arms together became loose. Put a dab of blue Loctite and no more sloppy shifting. It's like having a hinge on the shifter and would give you the impression of sloppy shifting. Even though the tranny is perfectly fine.

I think you should have tightened every bolt related to the shifter, before pulling the transmission. I cant see anything inside the transmission being related to: gears staying in fine, and a floppy shifter....Bad synchros? Completely worn shift fork pads? :dontknow:

Sometimes we make much more work for ourselves than is really necessary.

2 cents...

Was the slave not allowing the clutch to completely release which allowed the shifter to come out of gear easier? When you pulled the trans was there a groove worn in the pressure plate potentially showing signs of that? I am grasping at straws with this because I can't see the two being linked together otherwise.

That was my line of reasoning. No groove found. I attempted to inspect the plates to determine if that or clutch packed needed to be replaced while the tranny was out. Fact is if I had realized sooner I'd be pulling the tranny I'd have installed a new clutch pack as well.

I think the 2 bolts that hold the shifter handle to the shifter were loose?.....maybe...or the shifter base bolts were loose

Never touched the shifter...prior or after.

Last edited:
howdy Chuck:rock:

good to see ya

You had to remove the shifter base bolts to pull the trans didn't you?

Not necessarily.

When I installed my tranny, I bolted the shifter base onto the tranny before I installed it.

Just made things easier.

Not necessarily.

When I installed my tranny, I bolted the shifter base onto the tranny before I installed it.

Just made things easier.

The several times I have had these transmissions in and out I have always removed the shifter base.

I didn't remove it. Unscrewed the knob and removed the base cover only.

I'm not following, you removed the shifter base and stick as a whole or you left the shifter minus the knob in the transmission?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back