Interior Paints

Psycho Mythic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used any interior vinal dye or fabric dye on their 06 to darken it or (or any color for that matter)? I love the black interior of the 04-05's and i have seen a buddy of mine use this stuff on his carpet dash and everything else and it looks amazing. They use it at our local custom shop on gauge pod and everything. What do you think?

http://www.autostyles.com/sem.htm

Cody, hit up "CarlWaski". He's died his entire interior of his 06. It looks badass. I want to do it. While I'm usually brake, I just can't gather the nad to take the interior apart and paint/dye it.

Roz-SRT said:
Cody, hit up "CarlWaski". He's died his entire interior of his 06. It looks badass. I want to do it. While I'm usually brake, I just can't gather the nad to take the interior apart and paint/dye it.
Yeah, its a big step, but mine has been in and out so much lately installing the Navi and routing a few other things i figured now would be a good time...

A local used car lot uses this stuff on wear and tear items in a car like door handles, seat fade and steering wheel. It doesn't look bad but it probably also depends on how much time and care you put into the project!

kickinassrt-10 said:
A local used car lot uses this stuff on wear and tear items in a car like door handles, seat fade and steering wheel. It doesn't look bad but it probably also depends on how much time and care you put into the project!
Ive been told by a few of these shops around here that the SEM brand is the same stuff that GM and a few others use on factory vehicles. Im gonna start out small and do some stuff you cant see to test the durabilty. Ill let everybody know how it goes when i get around to it.

Psycho Mythic said:
Ive been told by a few of these shops around here that the SEM brand is the same stuff that GM and a few others use on factory vehicles. Im gonna start out small and do some stuff you cant see to test the durabilty. Ill let everybody know how it goes when i get around to it.

Good idea. Check out Carl Walski's website. ( www.carlwalski.com ) I'd try the high-wear items like the door handle, door pull and console lid. If those items hold up, the rest of the interior should be able to.

Last edited:
Psycho Mythic said:
Yea so you should be good then....like you said, just test an area first:rock:
BTW Roz I can't get that site to open???

kickinassrt-10 said:
Yea so you should be good then....like you said, just test an area first:rock:
BTW Roz I can't get that site to open???

Sorry about that. I goofed up on one letter . . . :D

Maybe Carl will post up on it as well. I would like to hear about it too but I dont think I'll do this, I like the interior the way it is enough not to change it. I have an 04 hemi with charcoal interior, I can sit in that when I want a change.

I've used SEM products with great results. I had an old K5 Blazer that painted all hard surfaces i.e. OEM plastics with SEM and it looked and lasted better than most OEM interiors. As with any paint prep is everything.

Chuck B said:
I've used SEM products with great results. I had an old K5 Blazer that painted all hard surfaces i.e. OEM plastics with SEM and it looked and lasted better than most OEM interiors. As with any paint prep is everything.

Ditto, I used it on a fox body stang. Prep is everything, you'll actually end up using 3 -4 of their products to get the prep and color done.

Yes I have used it, I have been talking to Carl through-out the process. It is sweety however it takes a steady hand and several coats. make sure you you prep and take your time.

i used that sem stuff to paint the factory chrome grill their "trim black"...it does take several thin coats...but durability seems to be great...i'm happy with it...probably been about a year...only problem i have is rock chips....and only 1 or 2 noticeable spots...but i don't car what it was, unless it was black all the way through, it would've chipped anyways....(like the hood:mad:)

Good deal, everything i've heard about these SEM products is top notch. They also sell everything needed to prep for their product. Thanks for all the input guys!!:rock:

Roz-SRT said:

:eek:Carl killed his interior? OHHH HAHAHA Dyed.. My bad..

Hi guys,

Now, I'm not saying it's the "perfect" or the "best" way, you decide, but this is how I did things and I hope it comes in handy to some of you. Some may want to do theirs in leather with custom stitching. I chose paint as I'm not a fan of leather all over the place, seats is fine but I prefer the raw factory panel look myself, more tasteful. I used spray paint, not dye. Carpet can be dyed and is up to you but panels etc IMO are best painted. It's a 3 step process. Once the panels are removed you degrease and clean them, I used a purposely made interior spray can, spray and clean. After it was degreased and dry I used interior spray can primer. I had my door handles covered in leather, a real tight fit as they are the single hardest wearing part (except for the seats and steering wheel). I had a custom black steering wheel made and custom black leather seats made as well. You can decide on the best route to take for your project in terms of the seats and steering wheel. I also had my factory seat belts re-webbed by a professional shop. Down here it's not a procedure done by any shop for insurance and warranty purposes. It's safe to do but not common, I was lucky enough to know the seat belt guy so it was a cash job.

When spraying, give the panels a nice even coat (as you know) and allow them to dry (10-15 minutes in a nice warm area is heaps). You want it just a "tad" wet to allow them to really bond together, similar to spraying a car. Then finally it's time to spray paint. Make sure you use SATIN black. Not flat or gloss. Flat looks grey and gloss makes everything just look cheap and nasty, like shinny plastic or something lol. I knew this going into it but you may or may not and it's worth mentioning. My dash stayed in place and took a while to mask it, it's a RHD custom fiberglass piece that was FAR too risky to remove, I would have removed it if it were a stock plastic LHD unit like you guys have but it worked out well, just took longer and was accompanied by more french words than normal. :D Removing the panels is easy following the manual in most areas to be safe and didn't take too long, but I made sure I took my time and labeled everything (wiring & screws). Anyone can strip an interior quickly, but those guys are the ones who take twice as long to put it back together as someone who took the time to label everything. ;)

The brand of paint I used is called Septone and it's Australian made and really good shit. It's labeled: Vinyl & Plastic Paint. I don't know if you get that particular brand up there but if you go to any reputable auto store and seek their advice on a preferred brand they'll point you in the right direction. You want: degreaser, primer and the color spray (3 different cans). I went through roughly 20+ cans lol. But I did 4-5 coats per panel for that full black effect. I sprayed the back carpet tray panel under the rear window black and it came out great, I recommend the same. The headliner and sun visors were re-done using a similar fabric to the stock pieces but obviously in black. If you need any more help, just ask or visit: www.carlwalski.com/Batram1.html and the links below should also help. Converting all my interior to black was one of the best mods I have done to the truck......hopping in from an all black exterior into a grey/silver interior just didn't feel or look right lol. Best of luck!

Cheers,
Carl aka Carwalski
THE BATRAM

Vinyl & Plastic Interior Spray: http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=&item_number=209&page_num=1

Primer Spray: http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=5&item_number=204&page_num=2

Grease Remover & Cleaner Spray: http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=5&item_number=216&page_num=3

Batram_Interior1.JPG

Batram_Interior2.JPG

Batram_Interior3.JPG

Batram_Interior4.JPG

BatramDashWork4.jpg

BatramDashWork0.jpg

BatramDashWork2.jpg

Batram_Interior02.JPG

BatramInterior1.JPG

Batram_Steering_Wheel.JPG

BATRAM_Interior001.JPG

Console1.JPG

Console2.JPG

MakingThe_Batseats.JPG

Batseats1.JPG

Batseats3.JPG

Door_Handles1.JPG

THE_BATRAM_21.JPG

THE_BATRAM_14.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Carl!!! Thanks a MILLION!!! Your interior is badass my friend. :rock:

Now for the big question. How's it holding up thus far? Also, could (do) you still apply dressing (Armor All etc)??

Roz-SRT said:
Nice Carl!!! Thanks a MILLION!!! Your interior is badass my friend. :rock:

Now for the big question. How's it holding up thus far? Also, could (do) you still apply dressing (Armor All etc)??
Thanks Roz and good questions. :)

As far as holding up, it's fine thus far. I have got a couple of thin "chips" not really chips as such but scuff marks where the top of the door panel meets the interior upper panel, that can't be helped and I think it would have been like that from factory too. Good thing with spray paint is if you do get a decent mark or you damage something, you can pull it into the garage, mask the area and spray it black again within the hour to be in like new condition. But, it would have to be a heavy blow to damage it, at this stage mine is normal and looks the same as when I did it, minor the small imperfection, having said that, I'm an anal bastard so others could easily overlook it, especially not knowing about it. I will re-spray it soon. To be perfectly honest, I would go as far as saying that it won't be as tough as leaving it factory, not "quite" like perhaps 90% as strong, maybe a little less resistant to chips etc but then you weigh that small % up vs. the looks, for me, it's a done deal and a no brainer!!

:rock:

About interior cleaners and polishes, no, I don't use Armor All or Mothers, etc, the dash being a fiberglass piece is quite "rough" in places. I'm not sure what the OEM dash pads are like having never felt or seen one in person, yet. So dust and bits of shit can and do get "stuck" on by catching on certain areas, very fine nothing major. I get around this by using a vacuum cleaner with a soft bristle attachment and lightly cleaning off the dash, works great and only takes a minute or two. In summary, I don't shine it, for me, the colour and interior of my truck doesn't require it, it looks good and has a nice flat finish to it. The only gloss bit I have is the OEM shifter surround panel, that's as close to "bling paint" as my interior gets lol so IMO it doesn't require any aftermarket products to look good and clean. :)

Cheers,
Carl

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back