Ipod Integration Kit - Old topic, new question

Chingon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but I bought my '05 QC back in October and just ordered the Ipod integration kit for my RB1 head unit. I have Nav., but no sirius. My question pertains to this post:
cold said:
I just finished installing the ipod integration kit. Here are my observations:

2. I have a 2005 RC with the following head unit: RBQ 05091507AE. My ipod is a Nano. I ordered the kit and the 10-10 extension from Wyckoff Chrysler On-Line Parts Department as described in this thread. Service was good and they processed the order quickly.

4. I do not have satillite radio. Performing this install with satillite radio will be a bit trickier, but not impossible. It might require ordering one or two additional. 10-10 extensions. 5191195AA

I will be installing this unit very soon and I now plan to install it with the Amp instead of the glove box. I called the vendor and asked if my application would need any other adapter, specifically this 10-10 extension. He said no.

In short, what is this 10-10 extension and should I order 1(2)?

Thanks for the help and I do plan to take step-by-step pics of the install to create a how-to.:rock:

Chingon said:
I'm new to this site, but I bought my '05 QC back in October and just ordered the Ipod integration kit for my RB1 head unit. I have Nav., but no sirius. My question pertains to this post:

I will be installing this unit very soon and I now plan to install it with the Amp instead of the glove box. I called the vendor and asked if my application would need any other adapter, specifically this 10-10 extension. He said no.

In short, what is this 10-10 extension and should I order 1(2)?

Thanks for the help and I do plan to take step-by-step pics of the install to create a how-to.:rock:

I talked to them and ordered mine yesterday, he said one extension is all that I would need and I might not need that. I'm also installing an RB4 and I already have Sirius. I guess we'll see, I ordered one just to be on the safe side.

So it's just an extension? I will probably need one to put the ipod down near the amp then...

The IPOD integration kit will not work with an RB4, as stated on the kit instructions and several locations on the web. I had to purchase an RB1 just to have the feature of having the IPOD integration. The IPOD kit will come with a big box you have to shoe horn behind the dash. The cable that goes from the IPOD box behind the dash is long enough to go to the glove box or the center console, you have to remove the console and fish it under the carpet, its definatly easier to put the final plug in the glove box. The extension cable will allow you to move the actual IPOD box in some other location than behind the radio. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the extension cable to move the box further away from the radio as its blocking the fan for my RB1 to properly cool. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as I spent some time in the trenches with this setup.

The 10-10 cable is just a extension cable. It allowed me to place the box next to the amp instead of behind the radio. You only need one if you plan to do the same. I really feel that is the best place for it. As far as head unit compatiblity goes: Here is a useful link.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162&page=2

I put the box on the side wall next to the gas pedal...and then routed the extension cable under the carpet to the "Secret Compartment" with the amp so I could put my IPOD there. Just thought I would put that idea out there for future readers!!:)

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. I have the RB1 head unit, so I know it will work. Hopefully I'm not too retarded and I'll be able to make a pretty decent how-to...

So....I'm a huge retard:itsme:

I rarely drive my truck here in Boston, and today I took it for a spin to go buy an 80 gig Ipod for this kit I ordered. I *gasp* actually looked at the head unit and it turns out I have an RB4:mad:

So...I found this comparison website and it says that both units have the same 10 pin harness out back with aux.

I've heard time and time again that RB4's won't work with the ipod kit, so I guess I won't bother...

Now I'm looking at just buying an RB1 unit on Ebay and putting that in. Is it virtually just plug and play? I assume I'll have to order the mounting kit since it seems a little larger DIN. Also, different RMS wattages are listed for the RB1, actually a little less powerful than the RB4 it seems.

New Questions:
1. Is the RB1 plug and play and will I need a dash kit?
2. Will my Uconnect and Nav still work seemlessly with an RB1 unit?

Thanks for all the help again guys. I'm special it seems.:star:

I still plan to do a very detailed how-to on this as my penance for being an idiot.

Cablefed said:
The IPOD integration kit will not work with an RB4, as stated on the kit instructions and several locations on the web. I had to purchase an RB1 just to have the feature of having the IPOD integration. The IPOD kit will come with a big box you have to shoe horn behind the dash. The cable that goes from the IPOD box behind the dash is long enough to go to the glove box or the center console, you have to remove the console and fish it under the carpet, its definatly easier to put the final plug in the glove box. The extension cable will allow you to move the actual IPOD box in some other location than behind the radio. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the extension cable to move the box further away from the radio as its blocking the fan for my RB1 to properly cool. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as I spent some time in the trenches with this setup.

Man, please don't start that "it won't fit" shit...as I've read the various threads it will fit with an RB4, even though it's not listed...if it won't fit I'm fixin to be PO'd...

the ipod will work with both units the rb1 and rb4. i have an rb4 unit and did a test install on it to see if it would work. it did. the rb1 unit works much better in the fact that it will display the song your playing. the rb4 unit will not display the song.

i think all the srt10 will need the 10-10 addaptor. if you have sat then you will need an extra kit 82207779 this kit is a splitter for the ipod unit and the sat unit.

dragon said:
the ipod will work with both units the rb1 and rb4. i have an rb4 unit and did a test install on it to see if it would work. it did. the rb1 unit works much better in the fact that it will display the song your playing. the rb4 unit will not display the song.

i think all the srt10 will need the 10-10 addaptor. if you have sat then you will need an extra kit 82207779 this kit is a splitter for the ipod unit and the sat unit.

WHEW!!!! Thanks for bailing me out here...do you have the splitter for Sirius? I guess I'm gonna need one of them buddies too...I'm also going to try to hook the iPod up to the VES system...any thoughts on that, or do I just need to get a video cable for the iPod and plug it into the VES input jacks? Oh yeah, if it matters, I'm also installing the uConnect system at the same time...

Last edited:
Texas Yellow Fever said:
WHEW!!!! Thanks for bailing me out here...do you have the splitter for Sirius? I guess I'm gonna need one of them buddies too...I'm also going to try to hook the iPod up to the VES system...any thoughts on that, or do I just need to get a video cable for the iPod and plug it into the VES input jacks? Oh yeah, if it matters, I'm also installing the uConnect system at the same time...

yes this kit runs $140.00 shipped. as for the VES not sure but sounds like the input jacks are the way to go. adding the uconnect is also doable vemon10 has done it. im just not sure how it was hooked to the unit.

post some pics and information on the DIY link for other people that are going to do the same thing.

dragon said:
yes this kit runs $140.00 shipped. as for the VES not sure but sounds like the input jacks are the way to go. adding the uconnect is also doable vemon10 has done it. im just not sure how it was hooked to the unit.

post some pics and information on the DIY link for other people that are going to do the same thing.

I will post some info on the DIY thread, that's a good idea. I'll take the $140 kit, how do you want payment?

Still have one question about RBQ and Sirius

I have read all the threads but still not sure of this answer. I have the RBQ radio and I use and love my Sirius radio. Can I install the adapter and still use both the CD's and Siruis with it?

GNXtoWS6 said:
I have read all the threads but still not sure of this answer. I have the RBQ radio and I use and love my Sirius radio. Can I install the adapter and still use both the CD's and Siruis with it?

I'll defer to Patrick and the ohter experts, but based on everything I've seen yes you can.

GNXtoWS6 said:

you should have no problem with the RBQ playing your ipod and cds you may also need splitter kit also.

This blows....I never knew of a 10-10 adapter for this thing. I have the RBQ and couldnt find anywhere to mount the Ipod int box behind my head unit or anywhere close due to the shortness of the harness.I had to trim the plastic shelf just above the head unit and below the actual dash and let the box rest on top of the head unit. There is no room in there with the RBQ head unit at all.Does anyone have the part number for the 10-10 extension cable.This is the cable from the box to the head unit?

Back