IS this a crock of BS or what?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put the truck to work, like a hooker on a corner in the hood. I had it towing a light single car hauler trailer and '79 fully race built Vette. Total combined weight of 5,400lbs for 1200 miles. About half way through the trip I we stopped and I was smelling a burnt smell, I thought it could be from the recent oil change I had done. Stopped again for gas and smelt it again plus a rattling sound from below the truck where the engine meets the transmission. I checked the trans oil and to my surprise it was brown and burnt, no hint of red. I bought lucas transmission supplement because I was still 600+ miles from home and needed something to lubricate the inside of the transmission.
I was in fear the rattling was something worse in the engine. I realized if this was true then I would have that sound while criving and while idling, however this rattle sound only happened in P and N, when it's under load or in gear there is no rattle.

Today I called the shop who built my transmission recently in the last 2 months and he is telling me it doesn't make sense that the oil would just burn. He was saying it's dependant upon somehitng else like if the engine gets too hot or if I have a restricted cat convertor, blah blah blah. All sounded like BS to me. He proceeds to tell me that the transmission oil is cooled through the radiator (which I know the is a trans oil cooler) and he is saying it can't handle towing. I said that's BS it comes from factory with a trailer hitch installed and can tow easily 7500lbs, 1 ton more than what I was towing.

Has anyone else had an issue towing similar to what I did? I'm thinking crappy parts or faulty part in the transmission is the issue here. Also the knocking rattling sound went away when I added the Lucas Trans Oil.

Your tranny guys feeding you a bunch of BS. Can you pull up the code thats on the SCT and see what it tells you

I've only had one code since I pulled the cats and it's P0158 the O2 sensor code that always comes up. The idiot is even trying to tell me that the code from the cat can have something to do with the transmission problem. Everytime I call this guy he has some kind of rebuttal or dumbass answer that I'm shocked he's even trying to argue his point.

Taking it in tomorrow, can't wait to see what he has to say. I also told him I used Lucas Transmission oil and he says oh that stuff makes your oil brown. It's loaded with petroleum jelly's and alcohol. I was shocked at that reply. I honestly think if it wasn't for the Lucas Trans Oil I would have been screwed and the transmission would have fried up with the brown oil it had, with a viscosity like water.

well a clogged cat/cats would only make performance be none.

that happened to a friend of mine, cat was all jacked up. we even did a trans drain. his oil was not even bad, so I know thats not true.

he took the car to a place, they did coil packs, fuel filter, oil change, injector cleaning. you name it.

the dealer found it was the cat, so sawzall and it was fixed. But I remember we did a filter&drain on his trans. the fluid was fine.

I know about an inline check valve in the tranny line that goes to trans cooler that needs to be replaced whenever you do a rebuild. It gets clogged and doesnt let tranny fluid to cooler, sounds like that could have caused your problem, especially if the fluid was brown and smelled burnt.

I know about an inline check valve in the tranny line that goes to trans cooler that needs to be replaced whenever you do a rebuild. It gets clogged and doesnt let tranny fluid to cooler, sounds like that could have caused your problem, especially if the fluid was brown and smelled burnt.

These truck have a check valve to the cooler ????? Do you have a pic of this and the exact location ???

These truck have a check valve to the cooler ?????

Yes, its the line next to the frame rail with the connector. I would assume they flushed the line when they rebuilt his tranny. By his description of their response to his problems, I would probably say they didnt know about check valve, and normal driving he was fine, but that heavy towing got him.

The check valve is there to prevent drain back if parked for long periods of time.

Yes, its the line next to the frame rail with the connector. I would assume they flushed the line when they rebuilt his tranny. By his description of their response to his problems, I would probably say they didnt know about check valve, and normal driving he was fine, but that heavy towing got him.

Yes I understand it's purpose ,,, I just didn't know there was one on the trucks ... Makes me wonder if this valve is causing problems with the 48RE's ... Maybe clogging up, sticking and restricting flow ....

Yes I understand it's purpose ,,, I just didn't know there was one on the trucks ... Makes me wonder if this valve is causing problems with the 48RE's ... Maybe clogging up, sticking and restricting flow ....

It does, especially with some shops that don't know about it. I'm curious to find out if that shop replaced it or not.

It does, especially with some shops that don't know about it. I'm curious to find out if that shop replaced it or not.

Yea I wonder that myself ... I also wonder if it should be replace as a regular maintenance item....

bumpy

Valve is in the line that goes to the tranny cooler. You can't see it. I took off my stock lines and had some made by Tony which dont have the valve. Do you have a temp gauge for your tranny so u could have kept an eye on the temp? That would have told you if you had a problem with over heating the tranny,

Yea I wonder that myself ... I also wonder if it should be replace as a regular maintenance item....

I replace mine everytime I do tranny service if I find excessive clutch material in the pan. I do drive mine different than most others though, lol.:D

I replace mine everytime I do tranny service if I find excessive clutch material in the pan. I do drive mine different than most others though, lol.:D

I'm about due for my 2nd trans service .... Think I will change it anyway or maybe replace the lines and eliminate it like jfireboy did .... :dontknow:

I would eliminate it as well, I think the damage it causes slowly outweighs the benefits, just been busy fighting bigger shifting demons with the crappy valvebody to bother removing mine. Back to the original question, I would probably ask questions regarding warranty when I took my truck back and verify if they even know about that check valve. What kind of shape was the tranny in when you took it for rebuild KICKINASSSRT?

VIPR PWR said:
I'm about due for my 2nd trans service .... Think I will change it anyway or maybe replace the lines and eliminate it like jfireboy did .... :dontknow:

The only thing you gotta do is when u turn on the truck you put it into nuetral and let it idle for about 20-30 seconds before putting it into drive or reverse. You only gotta do that if the trucks been sitting for a couple of days though. All that does is allow the fluid to circulate and build line pressure otherwise when u put it into drive or reverse it won't move. Some of the diesel guys who removed there's also gotta do the same. That reason is that valve that's no longer there basically keeps the tranny so called primed for when u start up the motor the next time. Like I said you only gotta do that if it's been sitting for a couple of days.

My brother owns a couple of AAMCO Transmission stores, " Heat and Friction " cause Tranny fluid to go brown. He said it may have been a bad build? a couple of galleries may have been blocked because they may not have a cooker to completely bake the old clutch out of the casing prior to rebuild. " I would certainly ask if they have one" either way she was slipping the whole time you towed by the sound of it? It sounds like your getting hosed?:mad:

My 02

thewelshm

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back