issues with my baby

srtruss16

Reaction score
ok so I bought this truck a few months ago, at first I was a bit concerned with a light ticking sound under the hood, but then I popped the hood of my srt neon (I know its not nearly the same) but I know that has LOUD injectors, and it was the exact same sound so I left er alone, today I was driving home from work and everything was great, I pull in to my drive way and its idling REALLY low, almost to a stall, so I drive it around the block to see if anything changes and I have noooooo power I hit the gas and I get a clunk or two from the from end and still idles really low, I go back home (30-40 yards) pop the hood and touch the throttle to see if I can hear the clunk, I can hear it (sounds like the cat but I could be wrong) buuuuuuuuut its making an extremely loud clicking sound now, I don't want to jynx it and say lifter knock but I hit the throttle the knock speeds up and it revs a bit (after I let the throttle go) then drops. checked the oil and it seems normal, haven't checked the coolant yet.........any ideas? someone gimme some ideas lol

Make sure everything under the hood looks good. Then Pull the valve covers and inspect everything well looking for broken springs lose rockers bent rods. If all seems good do a leak down test and see if any are passing.

JUST turned the truck on to see how it sounded now that its cool and after 5 seconds of running the check engine light came on, doing the trusty 3 on off thing that I remembered from my neon srt I got code p0132 (o2 circuit) well now this makes total sense engine clicking like a mother trucker and my o2 sensor needs replacing......clearly the clicking isn't from that but possibly might fix the no power, pop under throttle and low idle....then to tackle to clicking .....may just get some nice pretty ported heads and all do valvetrain lol how to do this leak down test???

Check for an exhaust leak near manifolds, will sound like like a ticking and will speed up with engine revs.

Wheres Scott when you need him lol, Hope its something simple bro. Im sure it is.

going to pull the valve covers tomorrow, check all that stuff out, replace the o2 sensor, I will also check for these leaks (may even remove exhaust from manifold to see how it runs without the cat on there, perhaps that's clogged to hell) hopefully she will be back to her peppy self tomorrow night, will keep everyone updated.

going to pull the valve covers tomorrow, check all that stuff out, replace the o2 sensor, I will also check for these leaks (may even remove exhaust from manifold to see how it runs without the cat on there, perhaps that's clogged to hell) hopefully she will be back to her peppy self tomorrow night, will keep everyone updated.

Sounds like you know how to troubleshoot, maybe you need to read some of these threads and give YOUR advise to the guys having issues. Also, welcome to the club, nice to have somebody who isnt scared to take things apart and find the issue. Keep us posted

is she an '04, '05 or '06???

RC or QC???

mileage???

mods???

I'm guessing a 2006 QC... Night Runner 62k+ miles and a K&N Air Filter

JUST turned the truck on to see how it sounded now that its cool and after 5 seconds of running the check engine light came on, doing the trusty 3 on off thing that I remembered from my neon srt I got code p0132 (o2 circuit) well now this makes total sense engine clicking like a mother trucker and my o2 sensor needs replacing......clearly the clicking isn't from that but possibly might fix the no power, pop under throttle and low idle....then to tackle to clicking .....may just get some nice pretty ported heads and all do valvetrain lol how to do this leak down test???

Leak down test is done with an air compresser and leak down gauge. You take out the spark plug screw the nozzle into the spark plug hole pump it up with air then watch the gauge to see how much air is leaving the cylinder.

haha yeah 06 qc night runner, nothing done yet except the k&n filter (which was in when I bought it) big plans for er....ok so heres the update, truck sounds NASTY with no exhaust lol valve covers off and I have a messed up spring and a bent rod......now I know I could probably fix JUST the problem however will replace all the springs, lifters, rods, valves and machine the heads (they are out no point in wasting them)...not sure what cylinder numbers are but its the second from the front on the drivers side and 3rd valve I assume that's cylinder 3 exhaust valve??

looks like head rebuild and porting is in order.....yaaaay an excuse to spend big money on it without the wife being able to get mad.....MORE POWER!!!!!!! never look at the negatives they never tell the whole story!!!!!

you can sort of see the bend in the rod, definitely can see the spring being coiled like its dyslexic

Attachments

• ram valve.jpg
    ram valve.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
and that lifter moves completely freely, the other lifters have light play be only side to side not up and down (valves closed) this valve is clearly stuck open smacking my precious piston.....may also be time for a piston and ring replacement ....any recommendations???

anyone a diagram of the valves, which one is intake and which is exhaust, may just try replacing the one damaged valve,spring,rod and rocker.....just to confirm that there is no other issues prior to spending the big bucks

the exhaust port should line up with the valve/valve spring.

we don't have any ports that run together.

so it would be ex/in, ex/in,ex/in, ex/in, ex/in.

or visey versy

if the valve has kissed the piston, should be an exhaust

Last edited:
so then

firewall
in
ex
in
ex
in
ex
in