Itch's Race fuel Q thread #2 "Toluene" $$$?

The Itch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here mix their own race fuel? :dontknow:

So far, it appears to me, paying retail at the track is cheaper than mixing my own...
Xylene is running 14.00 a gallon here at the paint stores and Lowes...:confused:
+
Where to find Toluene??? I ve been looking and have not found 1 OZ of this stuff locally...:dontknow:

Is it worth the attempt or should I not bother?:dontknow:

Toluene is a grossly addictive substance. For years it was the principle ingredient in airplane glue, the choice of glue sniffers worldwide.....

It's not a banned substance, but it's right up there on the list of "off the shelf" inhalant no-no's.

It's a good thing it's hard to find..... That shit'll wipe out your brain cells....

That is, if you have any............... ;) j/k..

D

The Itch said:
Does anyone here mix their own race fuel? :dontknow:

So far, it appears to me, paying retail at the track is cheaper than mixing my own...
Xylene is running 14.00 a gallon here at the paint stores and Lowes...:confused:
+
Where to find Toluene??? I ve been looking and have not found 1 OZ of this stuff locally...:dontknow:

Is it worth the attempt or should I not bother?:dontknow:

The last time I made my own, the price came to about 4.50 a gallon.

I purchaced a 55gallon drum of toluene, and it was much less than 1 or 5 gallon containers.

I bought it through a high performance parts store that sold regular race fuel and n2o.

If you buy it in 55 gallon drums,it might be cost effective.

I mixed a few batches of the "Rocket Fuel" recipe (thread ,posts,and a link is here somewhere) with xylene,toluene,Marvel Mystery oil,and some mineral spirits (120 octane I think)

In small quantities,it was way higher $$$$$$$$ than race fuel ,but worked pretty well

I use acetone for smoother running and better mpg :rock:

HOT RAM said:
I use acetone for smoother running and better mpg :rock:

I used to use Acetone as well BUT...

If you use it, make sure it is pure acetone. I heard Walgreens and other stores were selling it cut with something else to screw up the druggies using it for their purposes... Try to find 98+% pure. The stuff from the hair salons has some kind of fragrance, so as you are killing millions of brain cells, at least it smells good...:)

Acetone dried out the check ball in the filler for my gas tank; and it would only trickle gas in VERY S L O W L Y. So I quit using it.
That and it isn't paint friendly...

Rotten

Last edited:
Stinker said:
yeah , its got two small wheels and a bitch seat:D and fits in a hotel room:p

Now that's funny chitt right there !!!Waite a minute,he should know all about that bitch seat shouldn't he ?? :D :D :D

supercar1of1 said:

The last time I made my own, the price came to about 4.50 a gallon.

The cost and control were the main reasons I was looking at mixing my own. That and the fact that I'm kind of known as an eccentric nerd around here. :dontknow:
However It looks as though the prices aren't worth the trouble.

I really only want to bump the 93 octane up a couple to maybe 95-98. But I want to experiment to see which octane is the best on the track.
I asked Sean Roe to send me a more aggressive tune to see just how much I can squeeze out of a basically stock engine. He's da man! I have no intention of blowing the engine, otherwise I would have added the happy gas like a few people I know...:eviltongue:

As far as another race car goes... The LS1 is probably going to get a few upgrades... :cool:Sorry Stinky I know how much you love the LS1...:thefinger:
Toluene appeared to be the easiest way, from what I've read, to bump the octane in a controlled manner. I just can't find it.
D, Like Cliff Claven said, " The slower and weaker brain cells are the first to go... It will leave only the strong and faster cells behind, right?":slug: :eek:

Last edited:
6pakattack said:
Now that's funny chitt right there !!!Waite a minute,he should know all about that bitch seat shouldn't he ?? :D :D :D

Bunch of scooter haters!!!:eviltongue:

:thefinger: :p

The Itch said:
The cost and control were the main reasons I was looking at mixing my own. That and the fact that I'm kind of known as an eccentric nerd around here. :dontknow:
However It looks as though the prices aren't worth the trouble.

I really only want to bump the 93 octane up a couple to maybe 95-98. But I want to experiment to see which octane is the best on the track.
I asked Sean Roe to send me a more aggressive tune to see just how much I can squeeze out of a basically stock engine. He's da man! I have no intention of blowing the engine, otherwise I would have added the happy gas like a few people I know...:eviltongue:

As far as another race car goes... The LS1 is probably going to get a few upgrades... :cool:Sorry Stinky I know how much you love the LS1...:thefinger:
Toluene appeared to be the easiest way, from what I've read, to bump the octane in a controlled manner. I just can't find it.
D, Like Cliff Claven said, " The slower and weaker brain cells are the first to go... It will leave only the strong and faster cells behind, right?":slug: :eek:

You may have to search around for a chemical supply house, but the fomula is 4gallons of Toluene + 1gallon of Mineral spirits + 16oz Marvel Mistery oil.

I was running 75%93octane/ 25% Toluene fuel mix.

Do not operate the car inside without VERY GOOD ventilation!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back