just bought a 6 thousand dollar moter that is junk.

why are you paying "a few thousand" to install it?

don't take this the wrong way but that seems terribly high to me... hell, for "a few thousand" i'll come up and do it myself!

to answer your question, MOST used items, or hell, even new items themselves are covered for instances like this but DO NOT include labor...

if i install a sliding door in your house, whether new or used, and the track breaks... you get a replacement door, would you expect me to come out and install another one for nothing?

Did I buy the sliding door from you? Or did I have you install one, that I bought from someone else? Just askin
But I'd much rather have french doors. Can you install those?

I am sure you are stuck! you took a chance with a used motor . They will replace the engine but you are still responsible for the mechanic's work. get your mechanic to checkout the new one before installing it. Do a compression check at least! Use a borescope through the plug holes and take another chance. Or you rip out the one you have and get it overhauled!! These trucks are not cheap or for the faint at heart!

I just can't understand how horrid you are at spelling... It makes me wanna kick-u-in-the-nuts.

Unless you have a contract stating that it is a good motor you just have to eat it. If you do have something saying its a good motor then you have a case.

That just sux period I probably wouldn't of tested it ether but I will if I ever have to do somthing like that sorry bro

I just can't understand how horrid you are at spelling... It makes me wanna kick-u-in-the-nuts.

BWahahahahaha!! Didn't wanna point that out......but since you did:D
Unless you have a contract stating that it is a good motor you just have to eat it. If you do have something saying its a good motor then you have a case.

I'm thinking X2 just gave him the one most likely damaged? I wouldn't think a place like them that charges an arm and a leg for parts would sell an engine without going through some basic "condition of engine" checklist of some sort? Was there even oil in it? Should have been rotated, inspected, and checked in some way to ensure someone wouldn't install it and have issues. :dontknow:

The way shops work is like this, if you bring your parts engine etc they will do the install but since you provided the parts they cannot give you any guarantee that the engine will run.. If the mechanic took the job to purchase the motor himself and installed it and it was bad then its on him to do the replacement etc. No part supplier will cover your mechanic bill it sucks but thats the way it is. Thats why whenever you getting work done by your mechanic let them get the parts!!

Btw what happened to your motor? would you be interested in selling it? where are you located

The way shops work is like this, if you bring your parts engine etc they will do the install but since you provided the parts they cannot give you any guarantee that the engine will run.. If the mechanic took the job to purchase the motor himself and installed it and it was bad then its on him to do the replacement etc. No part supplier will cover your mechanic bill it sucks but thats the way it is. Thats why whenever you getting work done by your mechanic let them get the parts!!

That is not a get out of jail free card if the mechanic got the parts. If the customer opts for used parts regardless of whether or not we supplied them, there is no labor warranty. We make it abundantly clear that it is a roll of the dice going with used parts and in some cases, like this one, you lose.

I'm thinking X2 just gave him the one most likely damaged? I wouldn't think a place like them that charges an arm and a leg for parts would sell an engine without going through some basic "condition of engine" checklist of some sort? Was there even oil in it? Should have been rotated, inspected, and checked in some way to ensure someone wouldn't install it and have issues. :dontknow:

I agree that he's up **** creek when it comes to the labor portion, but sometimes on parts like that, you buy in good faith. Especially if it's a well known vendor. I agree with Venomous that some type of basic inspection by X2 would be expected on a motor costing $6k.

I agree that he's up **** creek when it comes to the labor portion, but sometimes on parts like that, you buy in good faith. Especially if it's a well known vendor. I agree with Venomous that some type of basic inspection by X2 would be expected on a motor costing $6k.

False. You buy an engine from a pick-&-pull, they send it to you exactly how it came out of the vehicle. Not saying that is right or wrong, that is just how it is.

the motor has a warranty... 30 days! they said they were going to replace it, i thought?

it was just he's out for the labor... and he want's x2 to pay for it...

i don't think they should, and i don't think the mechanic should eat it either...

now... if the mechanic wants to do him a favor and cut him a break that's one thing... i would...

still haven't answered the question of why it's "several thousand" to r&r the motor in the first place... that seems excessive to me...

False. You buy an engine from a pick-&-pull, they send it to you exactly how it came out of the vehicle. Not saying that is right or wrong, that is just how it is.

Yeah, but this isn't pick n pull. Usually you are going to check the engine before having it pulled or pulling yourself! This is a company selling engines as a reputable " Rebuilder" and to give anyone a Viper Engine without them doing a leakdown, compression check and overall inspection of the engine is pretty crappy of them.:dontknow:

Yeah, but this isn't pick n pull. Usually you are going to check the engine before having it pulled or pulling yourself! This is a company selling engines as a reputable " Rebuilder" and to give anyone a Viper Engine without them doing a leakdown, compression check and overall inspection of the engine is pretty crappy of them.:dontknow:

I'm not familiar with X2. But, if they are primarily a rebuilder then I would expect them to build a problem free engine. If I bought a used engine from them, I would expect that it was sold "as is". The fact that they offer a 30 day warranty is pretty generous, actually. And it sounds like they are going to honor that warranty 100%.

still haven't answered the question of why it's "several thousand" to r&r the motor in the first place... that seems excessive to me...

How many hours does the book allow for R&R on our trucks engines?

i don't know what the book says...

i'm about to take mine out this weekend, so i'll let you know how long it takes...

even if it was a full day to take it out and a full day to put it back, 16 hours at $60/hr. is only $720...

i'm about to take mine out this weekend, so i'll let you know how long it takes...

even if it was a full day to take it out and a full day to put it back, 16 hours at $60/hr. is only $720...

Not fair if you use the Plasma Cutter Dan! :D

Most shops charge double your hourly rate bro ;)
So make that $1440 plus all fluids, beer, bandaids, sammiches, and oil dry.:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back