K&N cold air kit

rottenronnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the numbers from my dyno pulls comparing the K&N cold air kit to the stock box if anyone is interested.

Ron

wow....is there any cai that can improve performance and horsepower?? it seems that all cai are made only for lose horsepower...instead of increase hp

rottenronnie said:
Lost 13 lbs. torque and
Lost 9 horsepower

with the cold air kit.

Ron

What were the conditions ?? My theory is that in warmer temps most CAI's lose HP and in colder temps you might gain a little.

mmmmtorque said:
What were the conditions ?? My theory is that in warmer temps most CAI's lose HP and in colder temps you might gain a little.

Altitude 3600 feet (4200 corrected)
Temp: 68F.
Humidity: 58 %

Dont throw away your k&n just yet guys...when you do comparisons like that you dont get accurate dyno nums right away when you place a mod on there. It usually takes some miles to allow the pcm to compensate for the new mod. For example if you been running with the stock filter and box since it was new, the pcm has adjusted the fuel trim to the correct amount of a/f ratio for its state. however when you intially bolt up ur new CAI, you dramitically flow more air than stock. Intially this causes the motor to run a lean for a while until the pcm compensates with fuel for the extra airflow. It isnt until then that the engine is able to make more power.

FerrariTruck said:
Dont throw away your k&n just yet guys...when you do comparisons like that you dont get accurate dyno nums right away when you place a mod on there. It usually takes some miles to allow the pcm to compensate for the new mod. For example if you been running with the stock filter and box since it was new, the pcm has adjusted the fuel trim to the correct amount of a/f ratio for its state. however when you intially bolt up ur new CAI, you dramitically flow more air than stock. Intially this causes the motor to run a lean for a while until the pcm compensates with fuel for the extra airflow. It isnt until then that the engine is able to make more power.
Another consideration is that on the dyno you CANNOT get the same airflow into the front of the truck or into the CAI that you get when you are actually driving the vehicle. So a dyno is not the best place to do a performance comparison for a CAI.;)

VP2933 is completely right. There is many real world variables which have too be taken in to account before ruling out the cai. There is really no way I can think of to simulate 70mph air flow into a cai on a chassis dyno.:burnout:

mosrt10 said:
VP2933 is completely right. There is many real world variables which have too be taken in to account before ruling out the cai. There is really no way I can think of to simulate 70mph air flow into a cai on a chassis dyno.:burnout:

I'm thinking Stinker with gas may do the trick.

It's been said many times, CAI is great for sound and looks. The difference (positive or negative) in horsepower is negligible and certainly not going to make any difference in beating or not beating an "L" or another SRT 10 for that matter. The driver variables are much more significant than the hp at the numbers we are talking about. If you like the sound and the looks go for it! We will all support you. If you prefer to go with a drop-in K&N, go for it. We will all support you. If you trust DC and their engineers leave it stock (and schedule a visit with a psychiatrist). We will all still support you through your entire therapy regiment.

But if you want the bling, want the sound, and want the hp gain...call Sean Roe and ask about the Top Mount Twin Screw!

well guys at my dyno shop they have two huge industrial fans that blow infront of the vehicle if thats not close to running up to 100 then i dont know what is, most dynos have some sort of fan.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back