Key question for 06

err76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06qc with a huge key that has the remote on it and hate it. Will the 04/05 remote work that is seperate from the key?

Not sure on that one. But, if you have a local dealer worth a grain of salt you may want to ask them.

No it will not work, but if you want to use the key from the 04/05 it will work

Can't the 06 guys take the chip out of the key an hide it in the column and then use the "viper" key? I thought I remember someone doing this, but don't remember the year. :dontknow:
Thus disabing the anti-theft?

Yeah, I had an '06 3500 and I had a key made a Wal Mart for the doors and it started the truck but it wouldn't stay running unless I left the big key laying on the column. Like they said you can take the chip out and hide it inside the plastic under the steering wheel and use a regular key.

I took apart an extra key and put it's guts in the column next to ignition switch. I then cut the blade off another key and used a GenIII Viper Key. It worked like a charm!!!

DSCN2198.jpg

What is cool now is when I had an '08 Challenger SRT it only had to be in the car. I wonder if the keyless stuff could be adapted to the '06? My vette is that way also (key fob in your pocket) you walk up to the car and just open the door and get in hit the start button and go. The Challenger didn't have the auto unlock feature though so you have to dig your fob (which is the size of RI) out of your pocket to unlock.

The problem I had was the keyring loop was busted. I took it to the dealer and he told me it would cost 180$ to replace but he also kinda hooked me up. He gave me a fried key from a Nitro and told me to change the guts. The problem was the key was already cut for the Nitro so this obviously would not work.

The solution: I found a place on Ebay that sells just the shell's with a blank key attached. So I should only have to change the guts and get the key cut at Home Depot to fix my problem.

I will post the results and let everyone know how I made out after I have received the new housings.

Quick update, I just received 2 brand new remote housings with uncut keys on them. I just need to take them to home depot to get cut and swap the guts once that is done. If anyone needs to do this I went through Vista Remotes on ebay.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back