kicker l7's or l3's

vipertruckin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the truck today and the seller included a custom box to fit behind the seats for two 12" kicker l7s... I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the kicker subs that could tell whether there's much difference. The stock sub is out or else I would probably not be doing this. Just wondering if anyone has anymore info than their website...

http://www.kicker.com/Subwoofers

opinions as well as tech info are welcome and appreciated!

Main difference in the 2 are power that the L7 will take over the L3.
Box size differs a little bit, but not by much. Any idea the size of the box? What kind of amp do you have?

I haven't chosen one yet... I have an infinity 4 channel reference series amp that I took out of my old car. Still in great condition and should work with either I believe. Only problem is that it won't fit the outlined box behind the passenger seat. I'm sure I could find a way to mount it but am thinking about selling it and getting one that would fit... I'm not into rap or anything so I'm thinking a l3 would do the job?

What kind of price did you get on the L3's? The L7's can be had for just under $200 each I believe.

I haven't chosen one yet... I have an infinity 4 channel reference series amp that I took out of my old car. Still in great condition and should work with either I believe. Only problem is that it won't fit the outlined box behind the passenger seat. I'm sure I could find a way to mount it but am thinking about selling it and getting one that would fit... I'm not into rap or anything so I'm thinking a l3 would do the job?

Is the box sealed or ported????

thats a big factor.

whats the cubic feet of the box. Yes sell the 4 chan and get a good class D mono amp, what ohm coils also are your subs.....let's of things to factor in.

Watch the ohm load on your amp cause if the amps not stable under say 2 ohms you could start clipping or have magic smoke :)

thats a big factor.

whats the cubic feet of the box. Yes sell the 4 chan and get a good class D mono amp, what ohm coils also are your subs.....let's of things to factor in.

Watch the ohm load on your amp cause if the amps not stable under say 2 ohms you could start clipping or have magic smoke :)

The specs on the L3's and the L7's are pretty close. Both sealed and ported. Both lists 2 or 4 ohm DVC.

magic smoke.... we use to call it, letting the genie out

I went to the audio store in town (great reviews and personal references). but they didn't have any in stock and told me to call tomorrow to get pricing when their providers are available. So im thinking they are gonna sell new msrp, (l3 $250, l7 $500) but I will know for sure tomorrow

i wish I had the dimensions of the box... I will pm the seller and ask if he has any info... i have a picture of it with packaging all over it but it may be able to give you an idea of size and such...

Thanks I really appreciate the help... I'm not the best with audio systems. my knowledge of them is limited to a high school application i installed and had to seek an install from a shop after 2 weeks :confused:

but im learning

thats a big factor.

attached are some pics... :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
Ahhh some dei amps/directed. same as the older orion amps.

Did you already buy the box?? cause you can get some serious street beating with a single 10 inch sub.

If you want to install mids let me know I have some diamond audio 5.25 brand new, I bought 3 sets for my truck but never used any of them.

Go on to soundpressure.com there is alot of good info on the forum there, I am a member there also. Good guys who will give you straight answers with brands and specs.

ya demon8 gave me the box the previous owner had made custom with the sale of the truck. I think I'm going to hold off on the mids for now, although it would be nice... just gotta get everything where i want it first... still looking into an sct from torrie too.

ill definitely keep the mids in mind if the audio quality is lacking in the truck... (i cant even drive it yet cuz of a broken fibula haha) thanks for the info on the forum... gonna look into it

Ahhh some dei amps/directed. same as the older orion amps.

Did you already buy the box?? cause you can get some serious street beating with a single 10 inch sub.

If you want to install mids let me know I have some diamond audio 5.25 brand new, I bought 3 sets for my truck but never used any of them.

Go on to soundpressure.com there is alot of good info on the forum there, I am a member there also. Good guys who will give you straight answers with brands and specs.

Jon
I never opened the packaging on the sub box. If Derek were to see your pics he would attest. As I said I fell in love with the sound of the truck and never took the time to do the stereo.

K so the private seller told me the sub box he had received from the 1st owner and gave to me was custom made for 2 12" kicker l7s. I was wondering though, I took the box to a well recommended audio store and they told me the box was for 10"s. When I asked them if the measurements were taken from corner to corner (top to bottom or side to side) or corner to corner (diagonally) they tried to tell me it didn't matter and that it would be the same length. Trying to be polite but letting them know that was not the case, I told the diagonal (hypotenuse) would be the square root of both lengths squared n added together.

Anyways, whether they are for 10"s or 12"s i dont care, I just dont want to order the wrong ones and have to deal with an online return... The dimensions are top to bottom and side to side just over 9" and diagonally corner to corner about exactly 13".

Anyone have any idea how kicker measure the size of their square shaped subs??? I can't find anything online about this...

THe cutout size for the L712 is 11 1/16 inches. So basically can you fit an 11 1/2 (about) square on the flat part where the sub goes?

OR

is the hole for a square sub already cut? If so, how big is the hole?

yes the hole is already cut out... that was what the dimensions were... are you saying 11 1/2 side to side and up and down or diagonal corner to corner?

sorry, I'm just confused...
THe cutout size for the L712 is 11 1/16 inches. So basically can you fit an 11 1/2 (about) square on the flat part where the sub goes?

OR

is the hole for a square sub already cut? If so, how big is the hole?

yes the hole is already cut out... that was what the dimensions were... are you saying 11 1/2 side to side and up and down or diagonal corner to corner?

sorry, I'm just confused...

What is the size of the hole that is already cut? Is it square or round? The 9 side to side?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back