kinda shocked

Heart Attack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I hit 7,000 miles with my paxton that i installed @103,000 on the ODO, also a daily driver. I was expecting my tranny to break or something during this time since everyone made it sound like these tranny are super weak and WILL fail. Is there a possibility that in previous ownership of my truck that someone rebuilt the tranny? and how will i know if someone did or not?

First thing you would look for is any changes to the outside of tranny. Check to see if it's been painted or different pan on it. Some shops like to paint their trannys a signature color . Doesn't mean though that if it's not painted or other visible changes are not there that it isn't.

Mine lasted about two years with the Paxton. And that including several passes down the track, on DR's
These trans aren't as bad as many make them sound. They just need to be serviced regularly

Mine lasted about two years with the Paxton. And that including several passes down the track, on DR's
These trans aren't as bad as many make them sound. They just need to be serviced regularly

ok cool. i was worried at first but now ill be just fine

ok cool. i was worried at first but now ill be just fine

U knew I was beating on mine, so I adjusted the bands and changed the filter, every 6 months. Learn how to adjust the bands yourself, it'll save you money and you'll know that it was actually done

take the pan off, if it looks like this then it has been into, the servos will be billet, and this one also has the gm solonoid upgrade

100_2457.jpg

How does it shift? That gives you a good indication too, shift really smooth into gears? Or can you really feel it when it shifts?

So today I hit 7,000 miles with my paxton that i installed @103,000 on the ODO, also a daily driver. I was expecting my tranny to break or something during this time since everyone made it sound like these tranny are super weak and WILL fail. Is there a possibility that in previous ownership of my truck that someone rebuilt the tranny? and how will i know if someone did or not?

I don't know anything about your tranny and this likely may not apply... but I had a stock T5 in my supercharged fox body that lasted about 2 years before 3rd gear would expire (twice). It was always granny shifted since boost but eventually it would go in a dramatic fashion. It was not maintainance but metal fatigue in a tranny rated for half the torque that was thrown at it.

If gear failure due to too much torque is the issue then generally there is no warning. Works great until the day it just decides to go boom!!

Hmmm. I thought all these trucks came with manual trannys. Do some have autos or is that just an "upgrade" some perform.

Hmmm. I thought all these trucks came with manual trannys. Do some have autos or is that just an "upgrade" some perform.

All four doors are auto. All RC's are manual. A couple have converted auto's to manual and vice versa.

How does it shift? That gives you a good indication too, shift really smooth into gears? Or can you really feel it when it shifts?

Its not a smooth shift, i can actually feel the shift in, feels like a manual when it shifts, when i say it feels like manual, you feel that minor whiplash.

Its not a smooth shift, i can actually feel the shift in, feels like a manual when it shifts, when i say it feels like manual, you feel that minor whiplash.

May have a shift kit or valve body done. Which may also mean that it's had other upgrades.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back