Laser Eye Surgery

Manic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my eyes tested today and I qualify for the surgery. Who has had laser surgery and what are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Do it. It was worth every penny. Just watch out for the companies that bring you in the day of your appointment and try to upsell you, saying you need the "more expensive" procedure. Many of them try that. Otherwise, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

Only thing they tried to upsell me on was the insurance in case my eyes change and I have to return for another laser treatment. Otherwise, they were very professional and thorough.

Will

I had it done back in October of last year - I couldn't be happier with it. My eyesight was pretty bad, so the 1st thing I did in the morning was put in my contacts, and the last thing I did before bed was take them out. I was completely useless without. 6 months later, I am 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/15 in the right.
Which procedure you need depends on your eye structure - the biggest problem early recipients of the procedure had was halos and glare at night - the custom lasik procedure eliminates this.
I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the surgery to anyone who qualifies

Wow Ratmotor, my eyes are not as bad as yours but I sure would like to get it done before motorcycle season. I can see and read but everything is a bit fuzzy, I think my prescription is 1.5 and 1.75 from what I can remember.

I am hoping the Dr. recommends Lasik procedure, the other choice takes 3-5 days with daily visits and at this time I just don't have that much time to heal.

Question, did they offer you guys insurance and if they did, did you take it?

Will

Mine were 4.5 and 4.75:thumpdown:

No insurance here, lifetime "updates" were included, if needed.

My eyes only took few hours to recover decently. Had the surgery Fri morning, drove myself to my checkup the next morning - then following checkups at one week, one month, two months, etc. What's the other choice you mentioned?

Do it! I had Lasik in Mar 06 and a revision done in June due to excessive astigmatism. Went to work the next day. It is great to see the alarm in the AM without fumbling for glasses. No regrets! Good Luck!

Never had it done but if I needed to I would surely get busy doing research on the best possible doctor. I know a lot of people that have had the laser eye surgery and 100% success rate for my friends. The odds seem very good and I would go for it if I was you.

Brad

I have had my eyes done for almost two years now....my eyes were -3.5 and -3.75 (or something like that)....and now I still see 20/15 today....I would definitely do it :rock: .....Just make sure to investigate the dr. who is doing it. Remember, you only have one set of eyes......Let us know how it turns out..

my brother had it done and was happy with it, he still cant drive for shit but he can see a lot better.

RatMotor said:
What's the other choice you mentioned?

There was 3 suggested:

Lasik, PRK and the most expensive but least intrusive they say is Zyoptix.

PRK takes 3-5 days of daily visits to the Dr. after the procedure which isn't a possibility for me at this moment. The procedure is used on thinner than average corneas.

Lasik seems to be the most popular at this moment. Less after surgery visits and time to heal.

Zyoptix is a newer procedure available in Canada and Germany using a faster more accurate laser, shorter treatment times and removes 20-30% less cornea tissue. Not too mention costs 80% more.

Hopefully, I will hear back from the Dr. by Thursday. I will still have to reschedule the surgery but I think I will follow through.

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it!

Will

MRXSRT said:
Do it! I had Lasik in Mar 06 and a revision done in June due to excessive astigmatism. Went to work the next day. It is great to see the alarm in the AM without fumbling for glasses. No regrets! Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum MXRSRT!

I also have an astigmatism, they say they will do correct surgery within 3 months, when did you notice that they would have to do a revision? Did you get the insurance?

Thanks for posting,

Will

PS, lets hear more about you and your truck, don't listen to the rest, Silver is still the fastest...

bikertat said:
I have had my eyes done for almost two years now....my eyes were -3.5 and -3.75 (or something like that)....and now I still see 20/15 today....I would definitely do it :rock: .....Just make sure to investigate the dr. who is doing it. Remember, you only have one set of eyes......Let us know how it turns out..

Thanks Bikertat, I definately will let you guys know. I am taking my time thinking about this. I so agree that they are the only set of eyes I have and I am fortunate that I can see, although everything is kinda fuzzy without my glasses.

What type of surgery did you have and have you had any issues riding?

Will

SrtBrad said:
Never had it done but if I needed to I would surely get busy doing research on the best possible doctor. I know a lot of people that have had the laser eye surgery and 100% success rate for my friends. The odds seem very good and I would go for it if I was you.

Brad

Thanks for your input Brad, I have had some friends that have had it too. They are very happy also.

Will

Manic said:
Thanks Bikertat, I definately will let you guys know. I am taking my time thinking about this. I so agree that they are the only set of eyes I have and I am fortunate that I can see, although everything is kinda fuzzy without my glasses.

What type of surgery did you have and have you had any issues riding?

Will

I had LASIK done.....I used to wear contacts---I had bad habits like never taking them out, and I'm talking about 6-8 months without ever taking them out......I haven't had any issues, but right after the surgery I could see rings around lights at night, but those eventually went away. Nothing that bothered me tho....they will tell you about some issue that you may experience. Some will actually scare you alittle, but to me, it was worth every penny.

One of the things you have to watch out for money wise is get the deal were everything is included in one price instead of a cheap initial visit and having to pay for every check up. I would like to do it also but have never researched it too much. My eye doctor said it would be good for me because my vision has not changed in a long time.

i'm sure age is an issue, but do you think i could do it at 52? i am nearsighted.

SANCHOBA said:
i'm sure age is an issue, but do you think i could do it at 52? i am nearsighted.

Good question Scot.

I am 37 and wear glasses. They say around 42 I will need reading glasses. Not as bad as wearing glasses 100% of the time but still sucks.

Will

My wife had to feel around for her glasses in the morning...had laser surgery and the next morning was glasses free...and has been for 15 years now...

Changed her life...

Will,

This is the first time I saw this thread, so I don't know if you did it yet or not. It's probably the best thing I have ever done! :rock: I've had thick glasses since I was 7. I was 32 when I had my Lasik surgery. I was actually a case study for the Virginia Eye Institute because my prescription was -11.5 and -11.75. If I tried to read without my glasses, the paper would actually touch my nose as the print came into focus. The edges of my glasses were literally 1/4" thick (Talk about NERD factor). :D My vision is not perfect now, I still have some slight glare problems if the light is in front of me, but if the light is behind me, my vision is excellent. My surgery was 9 years ago and the technology is much improved from what I understand. You should have no problems as long as you choose a reputable surgeon.

Go for it! You'll love it. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back