Latest mo: Smaller pulley, XMetal TB, and New ROE Tune

blackviper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck after the install and all I can say is wow. The smaller pulley is boosting 9.5 to 10 lbs. The new tune from Roe accelerates much smoother, no flat spots and the TB is extremely responsive. I will be tunning it some more tomorrow. I heard a slight ping right at 4800 RPM. Will log a run from the VEC3 tomorrow and email it to Sean. I hope the pistons hold up until I replace them. Should I replace the rods too? My last mod will be ported heads.

blackviper said:
Drove the truck after the install and all I can say is wow. The smaller pulley is boosting 9.5 to 10 lbs. The new tune from Roe accelerates much smoother, no flat spots and the TB is extremely responsive. I will be tunning it some more tomorrow. I heard a slight ping right at 4800 RPM. Will log a run from the VEC3 tomorrow and email it to Sean. I hope the pistons hold up until I replace them. Should I replace the rods too? My last mod will be ported heads.
sounds good George! glad you like everything, and thank you!
, sounds like a good package!

Hey Gary, disconnecting the battery did the trick. Truck idles perfect. Thanks!

blackviper said:
Hey Gary, disconnecting the battery did the trick. Truck idles perfect. Thanks!
right on brotha. how do you like the door sills? between those and your X-Metal throttle body, you should be rockin!:D

blackviper said:

Gonna have to keep an eye on this!! 10 lbs of boost on the stocker, hope she holds for ya bro!! I guess since your planning on building it anyway it won't matter, unless it blows something threw the block!!:rock: :p

Hopefully Sean can either add more fuel or methanol. I'd hate to retard the timing being that it would only decrease the power. But if thats the only way to get rid of the pinging so be it. At least for now.

I urge you with every fiber in my body: You must put the forged pistons in immediately along with the forged rods.

That amount of boost on stock internals will yield huge problems very rapidly.

I must shout: YES! FORGED PISTONS AND FORGED RODS....NOW!

Congrats on the build. :rock: Do you have any dyno numbers yet? Based on my experience with increased boost on the Roe blower, I would have thought that you would be running lean at wot since you have not yet increased the injector size and stock fuel pump. I agree with Roy, you should upgrade the pistons and rods immediately, (and injector size and fuel pump) before you have a problem! Have fun.

Prof said:
I urge you with every fiber in my body: You must put the forged pistons in immediately along with the forged rods.

That amount of boost on stock internals will yield huge problems very rapidly.

I must shout: YES! FORGED PISTONS AND FORGED RODS....NOW!

Aw, don't listen to Prof. You oughta be good for a 200 shot on top of 10psi of boost on stock internals.:D

Should make for a good show anyway.:rock:

Ram From Hell said:
Aw, don't listen to Prof. You oughta be good for a 200 shot on top of 10psi of boost on stock internals.:D

Should make for a good show anyway.:rock:
hopefully a good show....with the video camera running:D

My run this afternoon was brief. What I did notice is that the methanol light comes on much sooner. Maybe the meth is compensating for the fuel or lack there of. When I spoke to Sean a while back, we discussed the possibility of adding Nitrous to my build on stock internals. He said that a 50 to 70hp shot on stock internals would probably be the max before kaboom. He said it would be on the ragged edge. Some motors will take it and some won't. So I had a pulley made with the goal of adding 2.5 to 3.0 lbs of boost. What I saw today was right at 9.5 lbs or just a tad under 10.0. Hopefully after he sees the data log, he can make some adjustments.

As far as dyno numbers, I have not had it dyno'd yet. Sean said tuning it under real driving conditions would be far better than doing it on a dyno.

WIll see what we come up with tomorrow.

just run it on the fat side you will be alright. im running 8.5 psi abd all is well.

avmech said:
just run it on the fat side you will be alright. im running 8.5 psi abd all is well.
Your intercooled 8.5 is a lot easier on pistons then 10psi non-intercooled.

On his 10# Twin Screw.....Water/Meth is the only thing keeping it alive w/ stock internals and pump gas. ;)

Im running 12# with forged and w/m, and still pulling timing back on pump to keep it safe.

Wow man your just asking for a beating aren't you.. lol. I blew my engine at 5.5psi, i don't think she'll hold out much longer at 9 or 10......... unless you baby it. I drove mine hard so the spun bearing didn't surprise me too much.

blackviper said:
My run this afternoon was brief. What I did notice is that the methanol light comes on much sooner. Maybe the meth is compensating for the fuel or lack there of. When I spoke to Sean a while back, we discussed the possibility of adding Nitrous to my build on stock internals. He said that a 50 to 70hp shot on stock internals would probably be the max before kaboom. He said it would be on the ragged edge. Some motors will take it and some won't. So I had a pulley made with the goal of adding 2.5 to 3.0 lbs of boost. What I saw today was right at 9.5 lbs or just a tad under 10.0. Hopefully after he sees the data log, he can make some adjustments.

As far as dyno numbers, I have not had it dyno'd yet. Sean said tuning it under real driving conditions would be far better than doing it on a dyno.

WIll see what we come up with tomorrow.
Well hang in there...been waiting to see where the "Edge" is with these. Been peak'n right at 8psi in full boost with mine....and I get the warn light from the boost gauge...as the meth is dumping...;) :burnout:
Pretty rich there though.
I need to send in my card's to Sean, and have him load them again. Have not had the truck out in a month.
Thanks for the post, the tune is everything. Good luck

Ken, got my new cards from Sean yesterday...waited until late last night, but rain was coming so I went out to get a couple of test runs before the streets got wet...

I don't think the new cards are just seat of the pants improvements.

I got the shit scared out of me...never got on it in 1st or 2nd...just jumped hard on it in 3rd, and took it to 5600. My heart was in my throat!

When I hit 4th, I let off for a moment...then decided...what the hell...and pushed to the firewall...I had to get out of it in about four seconds...too scared to go any faster.

Sean has something with the new tunes...got to get back on the dyno...

Roy

avmech said:
I didnt realize that the ROE was not intercooled, learn something new everyday.

Where did you think they were hiding the intercooler???:confused:

Ain't nothin' but TB, TB mount, compressor, and intake manifold.

Unless you cooled the air prior to the TB, you'd have to raise the compressor and mount a heat exchanger between it and the intake. Course it wouldn't fit under the hood anymore. Although it might look kinda sweet with a blower scoop covering the TB and sticking through the hood!:D

Ram From Hell said:
Where did you think they were hiding the intercooler???:confused:

Ain't nothin' but TB, TB mount, compressor, and intake manifold.

Unless you cooled the air prior to the TB, you'd have to raise the compressor and mount a heat exchanger between it and the intake. Course it wouldn't fit under the hood anymore. Although it might look kinda sweet with a blower scoop covering the TB and sticking through the hood!:D
it could be done.................look at some of the ones used on chevys etc. they use a small water cooled intercooler between the blower and intake.
i am experimenting with a whipple style now that is intercooled. i might have something this winter for the Gen3 guys.

BOOMER said:
it could be done.................look at some of the ones used on chevys etc. they use a small water cooled intercooler between the blower and intake.
i am experimenting with a whipple style now that is intercooled. i might have something this winter for the Gen3 guys.

The rub is in the height change. If the Whipple is shorter than the Roe, it might just work. Most of the intercoolers for positive displacement compressors I've seen are 3-4" tall. I haven't seen them used on anything but marine applications yet, but I suppose it would work with a large enough radiator and reservoir.

Unless you're talking about a blower with an integrated heat exchanger...:D

It might also be interesting to explore a modified throttle body mount that integrates a heat exchanger for pre-cooling.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back