Leaks!

vipertruckin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've had my SRT-10 for about 9 months now, and have replaced all fluids according to the maintenance schedule myself thus far. Last oil change there was noticeable residue under the truck to the local dodge dealership. Took it back yesterday to have them check where their fluid was coming out and now they tell me that not only is the front crank seal slowly leaking, but there is an issue with the master slave cylinder as well.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Of course Dodge wants a tidy sum to fix these issues and I'm expecting the front crank seal is going to be above my level of comfort to fix. But is the master slave cylinder on our trucks relatively accessible? Has anyone dealt with these problems?

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

To access the slave the transmission must be removed. Tony has a good aftermarket option for a slave system. My opinion is do not replace the slave with another Mopar piece, they are no good. There are some that will say the opposite, so do as you wish.

The front crank seal isnt that hard, but if its past your comfort level then maybe leave it to the dealership.

Where can I find more info on Tony's slave cylinder?

To access the slave the transmission must be removed. Tony has a good aftermarket option for a slave system. My opinion is do not replace the slave with another Mopar piece, they are no good. There are some that will say the opposite, so do as you wish.

The front crank seal isnt that hard, but if its past your comfort level then maybe leave it to the dealership.

JTSVP he is a vendor on here. Not sure if he's started selling the custom master and slave yet, but know he's done some on a couple trucks.
You need to know whether it's the master or the slave cylinder. There is not a " master slave" The Master drives the Slave cylinder. What is your truck doing shifting wise? Leaks are leaks and these trucks have many which aftermarket lines are made to replace. Oil cooler, tranny, PS lines, all are prone to leaking. One leak could very well look like many! It also can be blown around under the truck appearing to look as if one thing is leaking, yet the culprit be closer to the engine.
Is it oil, PS fluid, Tranny fluid leaking? How many miles? :confused::burnout:

Thanks for the help. No real great knowledge of this subject matter. Aside from fluid changes I have only replaced the oil lines. Just started researching about an hour ago. Shifting has been fine though. 40,600 miles. I will update as soon as I get a call back from the dealership.
Thanks again!

JTSVP he is a vendor on here. Not sure if he's started selling the custom master and slave yet, but know he's done some on a couple trucks.
You need to know whether it's the master or the slave cylinder. There is not a " master slave" The Master drives the Slave cylinder. What is your truck doing shifting wise? Leaks are leaks and these trucks have many which aftermarket lines are made to replace. Oil cooler, tranny, PS lines, all are prone to leaking. One leak could very well look like many! It also can be blown around under the truck appearing to look as if one thing is leaking, yet the culprit be closer to the engine.
Is it oil, PS fluid, Tranny fluid leaking? How many miles? :confused::burnout:

Thanks for the help. No real great knowledge of this subject matter. Aside from fluid changes I have only replaced the oil lines. Just started researching about an hour ago. Shifting has been fine though. 40,600 miles. I will update as soon as I get a call back from the dealership.
Thanks again!

If it's shifting fine to you, don't let them touch the tranny or Slave Cylinder nor the Master cylinder (attatched to clutch pedal)!!!!!!

As far as the leaks, go to your local carwash, and degrease the underside as much as possible and go back after a good spirited drive and see if you can better tell where it's leaking.

The stealerships are only in it for the buck! Do they have a Viper Certified Tech? First thing you should ask or they shouldn't even check your oil.;)

Just spoke to the tech, n yes i always make sure the viper tech is there first. But he told me he found clutch fluid leaking onto the input shaft but that you can't see it. He wants to replace the slave cylinder. Advice? Again no problems with shifting.

Rear main seals are notorious for leaking as well. Depending on how extreme the leak is you might as well be prepared to change out the clutch, rear seal, slave , and master at the same time! It is easy once the tranny is out!

i doubt it's your slave... when these oem slaves go out... BOOM they go out out...

i'm on my 3rd;)

front AND rear main seals leaking? seems excessive to me...

i'd clean it up REAL good and do a little self investigating... otherwise, be prepared to spend a few bucks...

The only way to really tell is to pull the tranny, it should be obvious what the problem is with it removed.

Any fluid on the input shaft is bad as eventually it will get on the clutch disk and it will start slipping.

Front main seals can leak if the key in the keyway comes loose and slides back that happened to mine only way to fix it without pulling the motor was to put a speedy sleeve on it. Just something else to check.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back