LED Dome Light Bulb Conundrum

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey lads,

Well I purchased some LED interior dome light bulbs along with some other stuff off eBay. What should have been a very simple task now has me confused. I removed my OEM bulb to double check what the bulb style/part # was to match it up with the replacement. The bulbs are: "212-2". So I purchased "212-2" LED bulbs, straight push in replacement (so I thought), the vendor also confirmed this. Now, here's the catch. I put one in and it won't go on UNLESS the other (OEM) bulb is on. You can turn it on/off as long as the OEM bulb is on. Turn the OEM bulb off and the new LED light won't go on. It comes on with the door open but for some strange reason won't light up on it's own. The only thing I can think of is it requires more wattage than OEM and only the door open sensor/switch and the other light powered on give it enough juice?? F#%k knows lol, I wouldn't have thought so though. Power consumption would be LOW. I thought I'd ask you guys before looking at some new bulbs. For reference, I purchased these bulbs from the eBay store below. Also, the rear bulb is slight different, that has 578 on it, I didn't check as I thought all the interior bulbs would be the same. The 212-2 style seem too "thin", well, the new ones I got are. Yet the vendor below lists these bulbs as 212-2, 578, etc. Go figure......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/42mm...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Cheers,
Carl

!BmOQzYwBWk~$(KGrHqUH-CcEtst!Dgh2BLe3o)ZKjw~~_12.JPG

DomeLightComparison.jpg

:laugh: they work? + even the "expensive ones" are $10 to $14 and the OEM bulbs are probably $2, if that. LOL :D
The other styles were either sold from China or had 12-30 LED which won't fit or set up.

Mine works when the doors open, but don't think I have ever tried to turn them on from clicking the switch....
let me go check

walbert said:
Mine works when the doors open, but don't think I have ever tried to turn them on from clicking the switch....
let me go check
Thanks mate, when you get back, please let me know what style/vendor you used. :)

While we're on this subject, look at this big bastard!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

img.jpg

ok, mine work from the remote unlocking the doors, they work when the doors are open, and they work by pressing the clear plastic lens over the lights to turn them on.
I don't remember who the vendor is, but it was a universal one that then has a board with 6 LED's on the board.
Let me see if I can find out.

Damn, that light is HUGE. wonder if it would fit

Thanks mate, at least I know it's not the draw via the OEM wiring, etc, well, not in your case anyhow. Yeah I know, looks more like an airport landing light than a dome light lol. I think it'd only have a chance fitting on the rear headliner dome light as the bulb is centered in the case. The roof console bulb brackets are real close to the edges. If you can't find it and it's not too much trouble, can you please see if you can find an identical bulb to the one you're using on eBay?

I have an 05 cummins and I put almost identical bulbs in it and it does the same thing... Ive asked a few guys about it and I always get the same answer:
"welcome to the world of dodge electronics and LEDs"...

Mine work fine when the doors open, but not when i click the lens. BUT if you open the glove box, they all turn on lol:dontknow: :mad:

walbert said:
Similar to this but with 6 LED's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-18-White-LED-Car-interior-Room-Dome-Light-T10_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414e0962c7QQitemZ280482112199QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3479wt_802

If I have time I can go by the shop I got them at and find out who makes them and even get you a price for them.
Thanks mate, so you had to do some wiring for yours? :confused:
I thought they'd be like mine, a bulb replacement (clip in). :dontknow:

Carlwalski said:
Thanks mate, so you had to do some wiring for yours? :confused:
I thought they'd be like mine, a bulb replacement (clip in). :dontknow:

Just that adapter that plugs in. When I got them I didn't know what kind of bulb was stock, so I got the "universal" ones so I wouldn't have to go back if I got the wrong thing.
There isn't anything special about them. I will try to find out who makes them and let ya know tomorrow. I will see if the board says anything, but I am pretty sure its going to be some repackaged china crap. I might still have the package. I will look tomorrow. About to head to bed for the night.

BLKSRT said:
I have an 05 cummins and I put almost identical bulbs in it and it does the same thing... Ive asked a few guys about it and I always get the same answer:
"welcome to the world of dodge electronics and LEDs"...

Mine work fine when the doors open, but not when i click the lens. BUT if you open the glove box, they all turn on lol:dontknow: :mad:
LMAO! Holy crap, I had to go and check and mine don't come on when the glovebox is opened :laugh: thank goodness lol. Thanks for the input. :)

walbert said:
Just that adapter that plugs in. When I got them I didn't know what kind of bulb was stock, so I got the "universal" ones so I wouldn't have to go back if I got the wrong thing.
There isn't anything special about them. I will try to find out who makes them and let ya know tomorrow. I will see if the board says anything, but I am pretty sure its going to be some repackaged china crap. I might still have the package. I will look tomorrow. About to head to bed for the night.
No worries mate, I appreciate your help, sleep you need. :)

now I want to go check the glovebox......

HAHAHA!

One last thing Walbert, where/how does that connection, connect to the OEM harness? Is it behind the roof console or IN the light housing?

Carlwalski said:
HAHAHA!

One last thing Walbert, where/how does that connection, connect to the OEM harness? Is it behind the roof console or IN the light housing?

I will get a pic tomorrow. The adapter plugs in where the factory bulb was.
Mine also doesn't come on with the govebox, but honestly I didn't even know there was a light in the glove box. Now I am going to have to go by the place I got the others at and get one for the glove box. :D

yea i really wasnt sure what was going on when my girlfriend opened the glovebox all the lights came on. I tried emailing the company that i bought the bulbs from (superbrightleds.com) but that didnt get me anywhere so I just deal with it lol... I wish I had something more to offer but i hope you get yours worked out!!

I got the same ones. They do the same thing......even with the glove box. They also turn on with the mirror light.

LOL dang, not good news, oh well, at least I know it is due to the bulbs, thanks for chiming in bud. :) I guess what we need to do is try to get guys coming forward who have 100% aftermarket working led bulb set ups. They can then advise which models/part #/vendor they are running and that will give us sort of a "Dome bulb - will work" list, per se.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back