Locked-up 5.7hemi-help

bigredv10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and my father went to the stealership today to pick up a new company truck...I drove the new one to his house, about 5 minutes later he calls and said his truck broke down. Literally 10 minutes after driving off the lot his old pick-up locks up on him about 1/2 mile from his house. Towed it over there took the belf off and still wont turn over. It acts like it dropped a valve, engine only turns maybe an inch or so. Anyone one ever had this problem and can someone point me in the right direction. Its a 2002 3/4ton Ram with just over 100k on it. Those vavle covers look like a pain in the you know what to take off! No boroscope either. :argh:

yea the valve covers are a pain to take off...

sorry no help on the problem though

Me and my father went to the stealership today to pick up a new company truck...I drove the new one to his house, about 5 minutes later he calls and said his truck broke down. Literally 10 minutes after driving off the lot his old pick-up locks up on him about 1/2 mile from his house. Towed it over there took the belf off and still wont turn over. It acts like it dropped a valve, engine only turns maybe an inch or so. Anyone one ever had this problem and can someone point me in the right direction. Its a 2002 3/4ton Ram with just over 100k on it. Those vavle covers look like a pain in the you know what to take off! No boroscope either. :argh:

Harbor Freight has a good deal on one I am thinking of buying to see what my cylinder walls look like. Don't remember price, but not much.;)

Maybe flex plate broke? What do it do or sound like when it stopped?

Maybe flex plate broke? What do it do or sound like when it stopped?

Engine instantly died...no knocking. pulled over tried to re-crank, makes a clunck sound as the belt moves about an inch or two then moves back to the position before crank...like its in a bind or something. I'm not a member of any ram forums(besides this one) but I figured a few of you guys have owned a 5.7.

Its dry as a bone here so hydrostatic shouldn't be an issue unless the head cracked the anti-freeze was below the min. but not completely out.

Engine instantly died...no knocking. pulled over tried to re-crank, makes a clunck sound as the belt moves about an inch or two then moves back to the position before crank...like its in a bind or something. I'm not a member of any ram forums(besides this one) but I figured a few of you guys have owned a 5.7.

Its dry as a bone here so hydrostatic shouldn't be an issue unless the head cracked the anti-freeze was below the min. but not completely out.

SUCKS BRO. I SAY TO REMOVE THE VALVE COVER TO SEE IF YOU SEE ANYTHING. IF YOU NEED A BLOCK LET ME KNOW I HAVE ONE THATS NOT LOCKED WITH 88K MILES

blown PCM fuses?

Last edited:
I would remove the belt (seized components will cause issues) pull 1 plug from each hole check then if I will turn over.

Then if not I don't remember if there is an inspection cover on the bellhousing if so pull It and make sure nothing is broken.

After that you will be pulling the valve covers I just did one 2 weeks ago that had a collapsed lifter on #1 intake. The push rod was wedged along the rocker shaft. The heads and intake are easy to pull off, just getting the pushrods to stay on the rockers and not fall out of alignment is a pain.

If you have any questions let me know,I'll see what I cam help you with.

Hydrostatic lock??

thats what i was thinking, my friends truck kinda did same thing, driving and boom stopped running and would try to start only with a thud.

head gasket went up and hydro locked motor. pull plugs may be something very simple :dontknow:

Good news - If it is a 5.7L Hemi, then it's at least a 2003. :eek:

Here is a good forum to try to find some answers:
http://hemitruckclub.infopop.cc/eve

I have a Hemi. Not difficult to remove valve covers or heads. Changing 16 spark plugs is a pain however. Can't really say much more than the others have said already about your issue.

Be careful.. If something is locked up and you keep cranking it, your gonna end up bending all your pushrods.

I own an 03 with 5.7 and recently had a valve spring break. There's a defect with the valve springs on that year hemi. You will have to take the covers off

Thanks for the advice guys..busy at work. Going to drain the oil this weekend and take a few sprark plugs out ect. Yeah bone its a 2003, and moparman after we took the belt off and tried to crank it we havent tried since. im guessing valve train like fireboy said. Ill let you guys know what I find out this weekend. If the spring breaks will the retainer still hold or is it going to drop the valve when this happens?

Last edited:
The valve shouldn't drop... is the 5.7 a zero tolerance motor?? I'm not sure.. Next thing I would do is try to turn the motor over by hand.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back