Looking at a high mileage 3500 Cummins...

Black1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has 225,000 miles. What is a normal life span on the Cummins? It's a real nice truck, and it's coming from a dealer that has a great rep for selling solid, clean trucks.... and it's a good price (I think). But, just wondering how far away a major teardown is going to be.... Thoughts?

c482c90b404638720125ee4917dcd5c8.jpg

BurntRubber said:
major teardown is 500k on a cummins

What about transmissions tho... I think they are a version of what is in the SRT-10, aren't they??? Not sure if I'm too keen on that or not. :eek: ;) :eek:

They want $13k for it.... so, it's a lot of truck for the money, I think. Looking to trade in the speed bump (RX-8).

trans might go, but you could upgrade everything you need off the bat for probably $1000-1200.

I would say the trans would be the only weak point but a very clean looking truck for having 225k+ miles.

dragon said:
I would say the trans would be the only weak point but a very clean looking truck for having 225k+ miles.

What should I look for as tell-tale signs on trans issues when I look at it and drive it, Patrick?

Just make sure it shifts solid and dont make any noise. Chances are its either been rebuilt or replaced with that many miles on it. I would also take it up to highway speeds to check for shifting through all the gears 1-4. Theres always a chance that the previous owner has already done some upgrades on the trans.

dragon said:
Just make sure it shifts solid and dont make any noise. Chances are its either been rebuilt or replaced with that many miles on it. I would also take it up to highway speeds to check for shifting through all the gears 1-4. Theres always a chance that the previous owner has already done some upgrades on the trans.

Sounds good. Thanks. :) I'm planning on going up and checking it out this weekend.

Could have been used as a "HOT SHOT" truck to with that many miles:dontknow: I had an uncle that did that and put 100k on one in less than 2 years. He pulled around 10-20k with it all the time so....:) Not that it's hurt just food for thought.:D

There is tow trucks around here with over 200,000 and they still run strong and those are mostly city miles .. i have a 09 and love it

kyle's srt10 said:
Could have been used as a "HOT SHOT" truck to with that many miles:dontknow: I had an uncle that did that and put 100k on one in less than 2 years. He pulled around 10-20k with it all the time so....:) Not that it's hurt just food for thought.:D

Yeah, lot's of companies down here that transport RV's and Campers. That's kinda what I was thinking too....

looks like a 03, 04, look at the trans fluid, is it clean smell burnt, just remember the motor should last forever as long as the oil has been changed, they biuld up alot of soot. 4x4 front hubs have problems, just remember the whole truck has 200,000 miles, the seats, window motors, ect. any power adders on it. Hitch in the bed, some of the tel-tel signs of the life it has lived.

sstdusty said:
looks like a 03, 04, look at the trans fluid, is it clean smell burnt, just remember the motor should last forever as long as the oil has been changed, they biuld up alot of soot. 4x4 front hubs have problems, just remember the whole truck has 200,000 miles, the seats, window motors, ect. any power adders on it. Hitch in the bed, some of the tel-tel signs of the life it has lived.

All good points, Dusty. It's a 2004.

Here's the carfax report:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=3D7MU48CX4G245973&zipCode=

Jake,

If you purchase it, you can have a paint it black party... BYOB - Bring your own brush... :)

Wil

Manic said:
Jake,

If you purchase it, you can have a paint it black party... BYOB - Bring your own brush... :)

Wil

Nah... I would leave it white. I'd put black wheels on it and black out the tail lights tho.

..... all my really FAST toys have been white. :D ;) :burnout:

Black1 said:
Nah... I would leave it white. I'd put black wheels on it and black out the tail lights tho.

..... all my really FAST toys have been white. :D ;) :burnout:

Personally, I really like it. But, this is a person that drives a truck with 390,000 kms. (240,000 miles):burnout:

My suggestion would be to try to contact the previous owner and see if they have the service records.

I had the pan dropped on the transmission and had the bands tightened on my truck and made a world of a difference.

Thats pretty much all I got for you. :)

Wil

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back