Looking to buy a Used WRX...

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
About to hire a full time live-in housekeeper/companion. This person will work five hours a day seven days a week (split shift) with every other weekend off.

She does not have a car and we are thinking about getting a used car for her to get to and from school, take the ninety year old MIL to the doctor, go to the market, beauty shop...etc.

I have always liked the WRX and think this would be a good opportunity to acquire one...it would be good in the winter with the four wheel drive, it would be fun to mod (lots of after market stuff available) and I have heard really good reports on them...

Who knows the WRX and what should I be looking for?

Go to the WRX forums and look around their "For Sale" sections. The boxer-4cyl is a great motor, but there are some things that have to be done to not have issues. I've seen a few motors go south, and when they do, chances are almost nil that they can be rebuilt (parts fusing to the block, cylinders going out of round, etc).

Great cars! But, make sure whomever had it before you took good care of it. :)

One poor WRX owner at Bonneville tossed a rod or had some similar catastrophic failure. :(

I didn't get to speak to him after, but he, like me, had driven what he was racing "run what ya brung" Can't imagine the tow bill. :(

So, look for one that hasn't been tuned yet!:dontknow:

Black1 said:
Go to the WRX forums and look around their "For Sale" sections. The boxer-4cyl is a great motor, but there are some things that have to be done to not have issues. I've seen a few motors go south, and when they do, chances are almost nil that they can be rebuilt (parts fusing to the block, cylinders going out of round, etc).

Great cars! But, make sure whomever had it before you took good care of it. :)

HaroldD said:
One poor WRX owner at Bonneville tossed a rod or had some similar catastrophic failure. :(

I didn't get to speak to him after, but he, like me, had driven what he was racing "run what ya brung" Can't imagine the tow bill. :(

So, look for one that hasn't been tuned yet!:dontknow:

Yep, stock would be best... but, there isn't many (used) stock ones out there.... :eek:

i would avoid the wrx. they are not know to be good winter cars, tires are too wide.
a baja would be best, same engine, and look kinda cool.
i came close to wrx, not sure if you care, but insurance is sky high on those.

Why not look at a Mitsubishi Evolution?... Way better platform and almost identical in specs, just stronger......

whats the job pay and details Roy lol any perks like a weekend with your truck ??:D
FYI: I am not a 100% but I thought Randy (Avmec)built one of these not sure but worth a try I think it was him but cant be sure.

Last edited:
OnceBitten said:
I think he's hiring her to be a companion for the MIL "Mother-in-law"
TNVIPER said:
Yes, of course..................:D

Hehehehe - you go Roy :rock: :rock: :rock: The old companion for the MIL trick :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :D ;)

TNVIPER said:
What did you do with your wife Roy???:confused:

OnceBitten said:
I think he's hiring her to be a companion for the MIL "Mother-in-law"
TNVIPER said:
Yes, of course..................:D

Hehehehe - you go Roy :rock: :rock: :rock: The old companion for the MIL trick, works every time :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :D ;)

I would go with the Mitsubishi Evolution over the WRX, Hands down....

I thought about a used Evo, but we have long winters here and I just felt the WRX would be a better winter choice...

We hired the applicant last night...she will start on July 1. She is going to buy a car...can only afford about $3k so I will try to help her find something for that price...I have a feeling...hmmmm...maybe a Neon sleeper??? That would be fun!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back