Loss of oil?

Sithor

Reaction score
Well I had to go on a 300 mile trip for Thanks giving and decided maybe I should check the truck over even though it only has 17,300 miles. Well the air pressures were fine but the oil was below the hash marks on the dipstick. I changed the oil at 15,000 miles with 10w-30 Quaker State Full Syn. I know it calls for 0w-40 but that stuff is just hard to find at times. The '04 SRT's only required 10w-30 so I figured it couldn't hurt. Anyways it took me two qts. just to get near the top of the hash marks. I called my buddy who is a service manager at a CJD dealership and he's scared that Chrysler may try to screw me over since I do my own oil changes. The bad part is I never checked this problem before and I've always noticed a ticking noise that sounded like the valves, but was told it was normal. Everytime I do a fresh oil change the noise goes away for awhile. Once again I put the oil back to level and after only 600 miles the sound is back. Is anyone else losing oil like this?

Uhhhhhh.....sounds like bad Ju-Ju bro! Usually when they say a specific oil, I think its best to stick with it. I hope and pray you dont get screwed!!!!

i have 9000 miles on my truck just got the oil change done and it also has that tick i think you talking about. dont worry about that. im more concereded we your service manager friend not wanting to help you out. is your truck under warranty and what major mods have you done to it?

gl

your friend the service manager didnt tell you chrysler says "a qt of oil every 800-1000 miles is normal consumption"? and you should use 0w-40 mobil 1. every local dodge, chrysler, jeep dealer has it.

Dont worry bout it man. There nothin that states if you do your own oil changes that your screwed. I believe the quaker you put in there meets the specs for the viper engine( nothin special, just an 8L pushrod motor) As far as your oil consumption goes, a quart for every 3k miles seem acceptable especially if you get on it (I do:D )

bucke77 said:
your friend the service manager didnt tell you chrysler says "a qt of oil every 800-1000 miles is normal consumption"? and you should use 0w-40 mobil 1. every local dodge, chrysler, jeep dealer has it.

Bmw states the same thing, kind of extreme, no?

Yeah he did mention that loss of oil was normal but I mean a little over 2 qts. seems a bit much within 2,500 miles. To answer one of your questions, the truck is completely stock.

Sithor said:
Yeah he did mention that loss of oil was normal but I mean a little over 2 qts. seems a bit much within 2,500 miles. To answer one of your questions, the truck is completely stock.

well till your motor has about 10k-15k miles, the consumption should go down. Just needs some time for rings to seat..

You can change your own oil, but I would recommend keeping your sales receipts for the oil and filter just in case.
I would not be happy if mine was using 2 qts in less than 3,000 miles. I have changed my oil twice and have not used ANY between changes. :dontknow:

Depending on your driving habits, these beasts are natorious for using oil. Mostly blow by due to poor design on the crank case ventilation.

As long as your not seeing blue smoke under normal driving contitions I wouldn't worry about it.

I use 10W-40 Syn in mine. But I am in Florida where it's warm. A very reputable Viper Tuner told me this the only oil they use in there vehicles in this climate!!

Anyway, fill her back up and spank her somemore!!:D :p

if your truck is bone stock and you are in warranty then your service manager friend should have told you to bring it in. its under warranty get that fixed. thats alot of oil to be using in such a short amount of time. do you know where the oil is going?

dragon said:
if your truck is bone stock and you are in warranty then your service manager friend should have told you to bring it in. its under warranty get that fixed. thats alot of oil to be using in such a short amount of time. do you know where the oil is going?

got to agree with you...2qt in 2k miles is a lot of burning if you have no leaks....

Well I brought it in today and they found some oil lines leaking. This is the third oil leak I've had. First were the oil cooler lines, second was the main seal, and now this was just some other oil lines. It will be fixed tomorrow, but damn am I getting sick of bringing this thing in for warranty.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back