Lost all confidence in my tyres

Cablefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I was driving home in the early hours and had a clear road and some nice turns to play with on my ride home and encountered a slide out going through what I condsider an easy turn, but was able to recover without any physical incident, just some skid marks in my pants and a heart rate thats faster than a rabbits.

To date I have slid out three times in my truck. Twice was due to moisture on the road and was going slower than most of the traffic on the road in both cases. This past time it was due to just pure traction.

I'm still sporting stock P's and still have some tread left on them before needing some replacements, but after this past weekend I want to order new tires.

I have lowered my ride with Stinks kit and added swaybar adjustments to compliment the lower stance. The truck does corner better, but at the end of the day the tires keep the truck on the road and I gotta say these stock tires make me nerveous as hell. I am almost at the point of getting rid of this truck just cause I'm against the grain to take it out in the rain. I have raced cars in the SCCA for years doing solo 2 events and track days so my confidence and skill are what I consider above average, but when dealing with a vechicle that is twice the weight and poopy tires to boot something has to give and its usually the part that has contact with the road.

I spent a few hours searching tire threads on VTCOA and found that changing to a 305/45/22 could help the ride and also traction in the rain. I am opting for the Continentials UHP for my daily tires in the 305/45 setup instead of the stock 305/40 setup.

I know everyone has different tastes and needs out of their trucks. I just want to know when I drive my truck in the rain I can go the same speed as the rest of traffic with confidence and without issues of traction with normal driving behavior.

For those sporting the Continential UHP tires what are your experiences with them in the rain? Good traction? Before I go and dump more money into this beast I want to know I'm making a good decisions with tires. Any and all input on these suckers is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

i ran them for about 1000 miles before i started my tear down and rebuild...currently still on there.....i didnt notice any difference than the stocker perrelis...but i never fish tailed...on accident that is:p . i think the main thing is that when going around any turns you really got to be carefull....lota tq at low rpms's bro....

did this start on after the lowering kit or before and after...

maybe you kinda got unlucky and hit an oil spot or a bit of gravel...

but i think the CONT's are good tires and i havent had any trouble with them

The P's suck!!

There is alot of better choices out there!!

Go have a burnout party to have an excuse to buy something better!!:rock:

I think the P's get hard after a few burnouts and they tend not to stick very well.

Be careful brother!

I have the Conties and love them..Great traction all around IMO. Only got caught once in the rain with them and was very happy how they hooked on wet roads considering all the ponies and torque our trucks pack. For the $ you will be very happy with them I think. Now go burn those stockers off and be done with those damn things. :D

venom 1 said:
I have the Conties and love them..Great traction all around IMO. Only got caught once in the rain with them and was very happy how they hooked on wet roads considering all the ponies and torque our trucks pack. For the $ you will be very happy with them I think. Now go burn those stockers off and be done with those damn things. :D

(with pics and video of course:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :rock: )

Yep, you discovered one of the major problematic OEM components. I switched to the Toyo Proxy IIs. Significantly improved dry traction and little to no improvement in wet traction. I had about 10K miles on these and they were wearing very well. I was expecting at least 40k out of these tires, maybe more.

I have about 21K miles on my tires... still my original tires from 1/05, and haven't had problems with them... except rain.

...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Driving in the rain???? What's that all about:dontknow: :dontknow:

Does my truck even have wipers.....

hhhhmmmmmmm.... gonna have to check that

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I still have the P's second set...but I never drive in wet conditions...while there may be different tires that perform better...there is no doubt that this vehicle is not outstanding in wet weather...there are lots of people with all kinds of tires that have supported this fact...be very careful friends...even in dry conditions this truck is no toy.

RIP Woody...

xlrashn said:

You are reading my mind!

xlrashn said:

She's never even seen a water-hose! :marchmellow:

But I am ready for NEW tires... 25,645/miles on the OEM's. :slug:
Seems to be plenty to choose from...:dontknow: we'll see what Dan says....keep you posted.

Quick

Last edited:
I'm running the continental 305/45's and really like them so far! It does ride better with the taller sidewall.

I just put the Nitos on my ride, took the stock P's off and put em in the garbage with about 30% left on em...they suck in all driving conditions. The Nitos have much better traction in all driving condition. This morning driving to work in alot of rain and had no problems with traction when taking off and driving 70 on the 820!!:rock:

Yokohama Prada Spec X. Great in snow and rain, also Highest speed rating for that size tire and there pretty cheap I found em for 148 each. Like you said just my opinion, but the weather here is a little worse so these tires have proven themselves to me anyway, oh and they fill the whell well in good too.:D

Prof said:
I still have the P's second set...but I never drive in wet conditions...while there may be different tires that perform better...there is no doubt that this vehicle is not outstanding in wet weather...there are lots of people with all kinds of tires that have supported this fact...be very careful friends...even in dry conditions this truck is no toy.

RIP Woody...

..:dito:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back