Lost Key Gong Show

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I lost my keys and am battling trying to get new ones.

1. Ordered two Viper keys, one key fob, and a normal key to perform a SKIM programming, then was going to cut out the chip and insert it near the immobilizer.

2. GO to dealership and pickup the keys that were cut to my VIN. Go to the truck and the key doesnt work in the ignition or the door.

3. Was told to remove the ignition cylinder and bring it in so they could get the key pattern and cut the key. Well, the cylinder cannot be removed without the key so I removed the entire steering column and set it on there counter.

4. He calls back and says he cannot figure out the key pattern and must take to the local locksmith. The local locksmith makes a key and it works great.

5. Dealership calls back and says there is something wrong with the cylinder because there is no start position, I inform him there is a push button to start.

6. I go to the dealership to pickup the column and the cut key so I now can reinstall it in the truck. When picking up the column now they inform me that I need to replace the clock spring due to the possibility of the air bag being deployed. Now they want another $120 for a clock spring.

7. So now I get to go home, install the column and was told DO NOT connect any wires to the column. Get the truck on my trailer, take it to the dealership, they will replace the clock spring and program the SKIM.

Question: This clock spring/air bag b.s., is this true and something that I need to worry about?

Also a moral to this story DON'T LOOSE YOUR FRIGGEN KEYS. It is a pain in the ass.

NOT TRUE! I have pulled mulitple columns off and reinstalled including my Rams when i changed out the complete dash wiring harness recently

NOT TRUE! I have pulled mulitple columns off and reinstalled including my Rams when i changed out the complete dash wiring harness recently

They said that because the column went to a outside source for the key to be cut it would be impossible to tell if the clock spring is properly timed.

I also have had this same column out prior before when I did the wiring tuck, when it was removed I remember turning it from lock to lock to find the center position before I installed it. The air bag never went off afterwards.

NOT TRUE!!! Only reason the clockspring would be broken or out of sync is if the steering column DOES NOT LOCK when key removed. If the wheel was spun more than half a turn either way or a complete turn the airbag will not deply correctly as well as having an AIRBAG WARNING LAMP on.:D:burnout:

They should be able to cut a key based on the vin then they need the truck to program it... Shouldn't be this big of a deal

They either did it wrong or someone changed all the locks?

Its very frustrating, our summers are short as you know Joe and I have been waiting for a key for some time now.

I appreciate the info fellas, the column does lock with no problems although it is not locked in the center, it is turned slightly (1/4 turn maybe) to the right.

If I remember correctly they said if the cylinder was removed and the wheel turned it throws it out of whack, therefore since the locksmith did this they cannot guarantee it is in the correct position. (Remember I said "if I remember correctly")

It should be a simple procedure to cut to the VIN, but either they cut them to the wrong VIN or someone changed everything. I will never know as I did buy the truck 2nd hand.

You had to pull the friggin column to get keys cut...and by a locksmith too? The dealer couldn't cut them based on the VIN? I thought the dealer would be able, capable, competent (going out on a limb here...) to do this without having to pull the column. I assume you endured this pain as you only had one key to begin with. Sorry to hear about the torture.

For some reason the VIN info didnt match, I will assume the components were changed before my ownership (doubtful though) and the dealership did there part correctly. Ill give them the benefit of the doubt.

I pulled the column as it takes about 5 minutes to do so, I would have taken the entire truck but the dang wheels were locked slighty turned and I couldnt load it on the trailer.

All I wanted was to get the column unlocked, load it, take it to town and have the SKIM done. Now just curious about the clock spring deal.

So two weeks and $480 later I now have two viper keys, one fob, one standard chipped key. Then today the wife finds the missing key on top of the ****ing fridge.

Last edited:
So two weeks and $480 later I now have two viper keys, one fob, one standard chipped key. Then today the wife finds the missing key on top of the ****ing fridge.

& life is good???:D

Looooooooose them again..... in your safe.......

Good you got it all straightened out and you found your key :D Never fails though on the other one showing up! So how does that truck go??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back