Loud Whistle, HELP

Gustafsson64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRT-10 Ram, and when I punch it or start to accelerate this loud whistle comes, it is really loud. You could actually mistake it for chirping of the tires or a crazy loud supercharger. Thoughts? it idles perfect, no other issues that I am aware of that can be related to this. I am not a mechanic minded person just need to know some ideas on what to do or get done.

Greatly appreciate any help

Are you located in the US or elsewhere ?

Is the sound coming from your engine bay ?
Tried to turn off the radio ? (No joking) sometimes the alternator can create sounds which sound like a whistle thru your loudspeakers.

It could also be a tube came loose, but start with the easy things first.

Performance, oil pressure, temps etc ok, right ?

All the best

Arne

Could be a vacume leak. Was in a 70 Road Runner 383 that got pulled over leaving a car show for "chirping" the tires. The motor did have a bad vac leak but the cop was not buying it. Check for an intake leak or bad vac hose.

Thanks everyone, all guages are perfect, noise is def coming from engine bay area. Its really odd will this kill my motor?

Auto? Could be the tranny complaining? Otherwise I agree with belt slippage or idler or tensioner pulley. Pull belt and start truck and see if noise exists. Spin each pulley and see if you can locate the problem. Don't see it being your engine itself internally so I wouldn't sweat.

Does the noise get louder with increase of rpm? Can you hear it while it's idling with hood open to give us a general idea of where on engine it's coming from?
I would guess vac or a pulley (tensioner and idlers are prone to going) can you take a vid and post it up?

It is coming from the passenger side of engine, IT does not do it while in neutral, or park even as you rev the engine. It only does it when you are driving and then punch it. You hear the engine roar and the same time this loud whistle noise is created. If I take it from 0- whatever mph in a normal pace it does not make the noise. I hope this helps, I am trying to be as accurate as possible

Do you have a K&N oil filter?

Definitely try the idle tensioner pulley.. Had mine make that loud whistling noise for two weeks but couldn't figure out what it was until it froze up and caused my serpentine belt to explode everywhere.

Try spraying a little water directly on the serp belt. If that's it the noise will change

I think my truck actually started doing the same thing. I have just writen it off as something to do with my intake. But im not totally possitive about that. I had a buddy listen while driving next to me and he said it sounded like it was coming from the intake. Only does it for a split second as I begin to give it gas real quick. And only when I am already moving.

Don't drive it till it's investigated! Think I had this with my truck and melted a piston shortly thereafter. Take some carb cleaner spray around the intake and see if it sucked into the engine changing the RPM. Check ALL vac hoses. O yea carb cleaner is flammable. Not 100% sure it was related but don't take a chance

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back