Magnaflows wont fit 2006 without mod

PDR-GUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing my new magnaflow exhaust last week the mounts on the muffler didnt line up so I looked in the books at work today and dicovered the frame is different on the 06.:dontknow:

It will work but you have to get some steel round stock and bend it to go in the rubber hanger on the frame and then weld it to the mufflers exsiting hangers.

Gene

PDR-GUY said:
When installing my new magnaflow exhaust last week the mounts on the muffler didnt line up so I looked in the books at work today and dicovered the frame is different on the 06.:dontknow:

It will work but you have to get some steel round stock and bend it to go in the rubber hanger on the frame and then weld it to the mufflers exsiting hangers.

Gene

That was my understanding as well and is why the 2006 QC kits didn't fit for another QC owner who reported the problem a few months ago on the other board.

Swingshiftworker said:
Do they have kits to fit the longer bed 2006 QC's yet? A guy on the old board said that he couldn't get a kit to fit his and that Magnaflow was working on the problem. Said they needed a 2006QC to make appropriate measurements. That was several months ago. What's the situation now? Please advise. Thanks!!

Boomer's reply:

dude, they are all the same. the QC uses the same mid pipes and catback, the qc just has 2 extensions pipes between the mids and catback to allow for the extra length. we have put magnaflows on '06's with no problem.

In another thread ("Magnaflows - $468") Boomer reported that Magnaflow kits were now available for SRT10's. In response to that posting, above was the reply I got from Boomer when I asked if the kits fit the 2006 QC. Also asked him for pics of a 2006 QC install, but didn't get a response to that.

I've been putting off buying the Magnaflow until someone could confirm that the 2006 QC kits were an exact fit. Apparently, they still aren't, so I'm going to continue to hold off until I get "proof" to the contrary.

Mine is an RC.
It looks to me that the muffler mounts have been relocated to the rear section of the frame crossmember instead of the front?
(I am assuming the 04 05's mounts were on the front)
And we all know what happens when you assume!!
Can you say ass-u-me

If the mounts were on the back of the muffler and 6" longer instead of the middle they would work.

Swingshiftworker said:
That was my understanding as well and is why the 2006 QC kits didn't fit for another QC owner who reported the problem a few months ago on the other board.

In another thread ("Magnaflows - $468") Boomer reported that Magnaflow kits were now available for SRT10's. In response to that posting, above was the reply I got from Boomer when I asked if the kits fit the 2006 QC. Also asked him for pics of a 2006 QC install, but didn't get a response to that.

I've been putting off buying the Magnaflow until someone could confirm that the 2006 QC kits were an exact fit. Apparently, they still aren't, so I'm going to continue to hold off until I get "proof" to the contrary.
Its not a big deal to go to the muffler shop and have it welded to fit the mount. Its going to leak if you don't have the mid pipes welded anyway. I don't think they make a change at this point being production is over for srt-10's.

I have already fixed the hangers (I weld at work, autobody) and I wont weld the midpipes (no cats) in case I have to go in for warranty work I can put the stock midpipes back on.
Only have 900 miles on her.

PDR-GUY said:
I have already fixed the hangers (I weld at work, autobody) and I wont weld the midpipes (no cats) in case I have to go in for warranty work I can put the stock midpipes back on.

OOoooh, SMART man, you are!!! :rock: :D :D :dancing:

PDR-GUY said:
Yeah I didn't weld mine either. In another year she'll have to go in for a smog test.... she'll never pass without the cats in place.
Stock we sit-on 196.5/emmisions, the chart only goes to 2.01, we would be about 225.0 without the cats.

Quick

I was the one that reported that Magnaflows did not fit 06 models. In my talks with Magnaflow, they found that the 06s that they test fitted from Dodge fit, but the production models for some reason changed.

I have been dealing with Mike Williams, one of their tech support. It been nearly 7 months now, and they still dont have a fix, so they are sending me new hangers, and reimbursing me for the expense at a exhaust shop to have them rework it.

sleeper said:
Its not a big deal to go to the muffler shop and have it welded to fit the mount. Its going to leak if you don't have the mid pipes welded anyway. I don't think they make a change at this point being production is over for srt-10's.

As I recall, in the software industry, they call a "fix" to make something in a program that isn't designed properly work in the program anyway, despite the design flaw, a "kludge." Well, whether that is the proper term or not, I'm not interested in "kludging" an exhaust system into my QC. My QC is not a backyard junker and I would NEVER consider doing that.

Frankly, I like the QC exactly the way it is and have no pressing need to modify it at all. However, I was interested in "improving" its exhaust note, but I'll only do that if the cat back can be installed (and removed) without any further modification to the vehicle. Welding a mid pipe "kludge" into the exhaust system would not meet this requirement.

My understanding is that Borla may make a cat back system that properly fits the 2006 QC. So, I'm going to check into that and, if I like it, will buy that in lieu of the apparently improperly designed (at least as applies to the 2006 QC) Magnaflow exhaust system.

Swingshiftworker said:
As I recall, in the software industry, they call a "fix" to make something in a program that isn't designed properly work in the program anyway, despite the design flaw, a "kludge." Well, whether that is the proper term or not, I'm not interested in "kludging" an exhaust system into my QC. My QC is not a backyard junker and I would NEVER consider doing that.

Frankly, I like the QC exactly the way it is and have no pressing need to modify it at all. However, I was interested in "improving" its exhaust note, but I'll only do that if the cat back can be installed (and removed) without any further modification to the vehicle. Welding a mid pipe "kludge" into the exhaust system would not meet this requirement.

My understanding is that Borla may make a cat back system that properly fits the 2006 QC. So, I'm going to check into that and, if I like it, will buy that in lieu of the apparently improperly designed (at least as applies to the 2006 QC) Magnaflow exhaust system.

Actually the only problem with the Magnaflows was the location of the hangers, it all fits good, just not all the hangers line up properly, so the only welding that would take place would be welding hangers on the magnaflow so they will line up with the rubber boots on the frame

azpyroguy said:
Actually the only problem with the Magnaflows was the location of the hangers, it all fits good, just not all the hangers line up properly, so the only welding that would take place would be welding hangers on the magnaflow so they will line up with the rubber boots on the frame

Sooo. It fits good, it just doesn't "fit"? :dontknow: :confused:

:D :D :D

Black1 said:
Sooo. It fits good, it just doesn't "fit"? :dontknow: :confused:
:D :D :D

What I was trying to say was in contrary to what "swingshiftworker" said that he thought you had to put in "new" mid pipes or pipe extensions in order to make it work, this is not the case.

The only thing that did not work properly was the locations of 3 of the 5 hangers had to be moved, DCX moved the hanger mounting locations on the 06 frame, but nothing else changed, so I only had to cut off the hangers on the Magnaflow that did not line up, and re-weld hangers in the right locations so they would match the locations on the frame, no modifications or welding to the truck were required.

Does that help?

azpyroguy said:
What I was trying to say was in contrary to what "swingshiftworker" said that he thought you had to put in "new" mid pipes or pipe extensions in order to make it work, this is not the case.

The only thing that did not work properly was the locations of 3 of the 5 hangers had to be moved, DCX moved the hanger mounting locations on the 06 frame, but nothing else changed, so I only had to cut off the hangers on the Magnaflow that did not line up, and re-weld hangers in the right locations so they would match the locations on the frame, no modifications or welding to the truck were required.

Does that help?

Azpyroguy:

FWIW, I don't care if it's the midpipes or hangers that have to be cut or welded.

If I'm going to pay $468 plus tax (if applicable), shipping and labor (because I usually don't do my own work anymore) and spend the associated time in order to get the product installed my QC, I don't want to have to modify ("kludge") it to make it work.

The product should fit and function without any need for modification. If it doesn't, I won't buy it and, if I find it doesn't fit, I'd return it.

So, the questions I now have are:

1) If the fix on your QC was so EASY, why couldn't Magnaflow handle that for you when you first posted about your problem on the "other" board?; and,

2) More importantly (to me and other 2006 QC owners who are thinking about buying the Magnaflow kit), have they changed the hanger locations on their current 2006 QC kits so that they line up correctly, or are the hangers still located improperly?

Please advise. Thanks!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back