Magnaflows wont fit 2006 without mod

This whole catback for '06 QC and RC has been bantied about in a few forums. This is what I know:

=========================================
Mopar cat backs have been made by Borla but Mopar does not have an 06 version and I doubt they will - the 04 and 05 Mopar cat backs are "no stock" nationally - they do not fit 06's anyway. 06 beds are longer than 04/05 and are actually 3/4 ton beds.

Borla part number is 140188 for 06 RC and QC SRT-10 - its a new part and currently starting production. Lead time to ship it 4-6 weeks. Price at Borla is $1,100.00 but you can probably do a little better at a discount supply - if you can get them to do the legwork for price and delivery -- my local guy says $1,175 installed out the door.

I was asked if the Borla 140188 is '06 specific and direct bolt on. My reply:

I called Borla directly and asked that very question -- they are specific for '06 SRT-10 - and are direct bolt on -- the hangers for 04' and '05 are different, the frame for '06 is different and the '06 beds are from 3500 rams not 1500 rams - I would bet the frame is too then.

There are no manufacturers at the moment that make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06 SRTs - at least that is my understanding and I spent a lot of time checkin

Anyway - just a headsup

ciao and stay safe

Swingshiftworker said:
Azpyroguy:

The product should fit and function without any need for modification. If it doesn't, I won't buy it and, if I find it doesn't fit, I'd return it.

Believe me.. I could not agree with you more!! However, I found this problem out after I was 3 hours into the install, had the stock system off (which was a PITA).

Swingshiftworker said:
1) If the fix on your QC was so EASY, why couldn't Magnaflow handle that for you when you first posted about your problem on the "other" board?; and,

Again, agree with your statement, they told me they were having difficulty in getting a 06 in to setup a system on, they even offered up a free exhaust to anyone with a 06 in the Cali area or who wanted to drive over and let them have their truck for couple of days, and no one took them up on the offer.

Swingshiftworker said:
2) More importantly (to me and other 2006 QC owners who are thinking about buying the Magnaflow kit), have they changed the hanger locations on their current 2006 QC kits so that they line up correctly, or are the hangers still located improperly?

As far as I am aware, there are "some" 06s that the system fits on.. they are working with DCX to try and find out what mfg date the change happened on.

BTW - I did not mean to offend you, if I did. My reply was not meant in that manner... thats the largest problem with typing a message is getting a message across and having that person assume that tone being used.

GriMacE 06QuadSRT10 said:
I was asked if the Borla 140188 is '06 specific and direct bolt on. My reply:

I called Borla directly and asked that very question -- they are specific for '06 SRT-10 - and are direct bolt on -- the hangers for 04' and '05 are different, the frame for '06 is different and the '06 beds are from 3500 rams not 1500 rams - I would bet the frame is too then.

There are no manufacturers at the moment that make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06 SRTs - at least that is my understanding and I spent a lot of time checkin

Anyway - just a headsup

ciao and stay safe

Say, GriMacE:

There seems to be a contradiction in what you said.

First, you say that Borla says that their kit is a direct bolt on for a 2006QC, but then you say the there are "no manufacturers at the moment that make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06SRTs". Did you mean to say "no manufacturers other than Borla"?

BTW, I don't like the rectangular collector that Borla uses (or at least pictures) on the tailpipe for their SRT10 exhaust. Can that be replaced w/dual tips or are you stuck w/the collector? Also, did Borla happen to say why their kit is worth $1100? Just curious.

Please advise. Thanks!

Swingshiftworker said:
Say, GriMacE:

There seems to be a contradiction in what you said.

First, you say that Borla says that their kit is a direct bolt on for a 2006QC, but then you say the there are "no manufacturers at the moment that make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06SRTs". Did you mean to say "no manufacturers other than Borla"?

BTW, I don't like the rectangular collector that Borla uses (or at least pictures) on the tailpipe for their SRT10 exhaust. Can that be replaced w/dual tips or are you stuck w/the collector? Also, did Borla happen to say why their kit is worth $1100? Just curious.

Please advise. Thanks!

Ooops my bad -- no manufacturers at the moment make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06SRTs - Other than Borla who should be shipping in about a month - Ditto on the rectangular collector. Only one available from them unless they decide to make the '06 version duals like stock - but I didn't ask the dude I talked to. Borla systems have always been expensive - be it the gauge of stainless steel, lifetime warranty or the like - but some of the other manufacturer cat backs are less but not much - except Magnaflow...

GriMacE 06QuadSRT10 said:
Ooops my bad -- no manufacturers at the moment make direct bolt on cat-backs for '06SRTs - Other than Borla who should be shipping in about a month - Ditto on the rectangular collector. Only one available from them unless they decide to make the '06 version duals like stock - but I didn't ask the dude I talked to. Borla systems have always been expensive - be it the gauge of stainless steel, lifetime warranty or the like - but some of the other manufacturer cat backs are less but not much - except Magnaflow...

I talked to Bassani, they said they have a bolt on kit for 06's, but I did not like the look of it.

They have 2 different versions:

1. Dual Forward exit, just ahead of the passenger rear tire.
2. Rear Exit, but it uses the stock tailpipe/tips

The price was high I though, around 900-1000 for what you were getting.

See pictures...

Attachments

• basanni1.jpg
    basanni1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 29
  • bassani2.jpg
    bassani2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 26
I have magnaflow for my 2006 RC and the stock system was held up by 7 hangers the maganflow 3.

azpyroguy said:
I talked to Bassani, they said they have a bolt on kit for 06's, but I did not like the look of it.

See pictures...

Interesting since I asked them if they were sure the '06 was bolt on since the part number they use is the same for '04, '05 and '06 and the guy said "no, I'm not sure" -- Even Borla said their '04 and '05 cat backs will not fit '06's which was a DUH anyway since they are only now going into production for their '06 version - bolt on --

from what I've read in the forum, There are apparently different configurations for '06 SRT's which may fuel the issue -- mine was built in 2/06 and does have the longer 3500 bed who knows in the end.

azpyroguy said:
Believe me.. I could not agree with you more!! However, I found this problem out after I was 3 hours into the install, had the stock system off (which was a PITA).

Understood. Knowing that nothing's perfect, if I was going to have it installed at a muffler shop, I probably would have measured it (and/or lined up the pieces) to make sure it looked like a proper fit, before giving it to them to install. But, that's just me. ;)

azpyroguy said:
Again, agree with your statement, they told me they were having difficulty in getting a 06 in to setup a system on, they even offered up a free exhaust to anyone with a 06 in the Cali area or who wanted to drive over and let them have their truck for couple of days, and no one took them up on the offer.

I was interested in doing that and sent the guy at Magnaflow an email about it, but he never did (nor did I) follow up on it. If they're still willing to give an exhaust system away in order to use my car as a template, I'm willing to drive down there for that purpose. Do you know if they still are or not?

azpyroguy said:
BTW - I did not mean to offend you, if I did. My reply was not meant in that manner... thats the largest problem with typing a message is getting a message across and having that person assume that tone being used.

No offense taken. Sorry if it sounded that way. :eek:

Last edited:
Swingshiftworker said:
I was interested in doing that and sent the guy at Magnaflow an email about it, but he never did (nor did I) follow up on it. If they're still willing to give an exhaust system away in order to use my car as a template, I'm willing to drive down there for that purpose. Do you know if they still are or not?

No offense taken. Sorry if it sounded that way. :eek:

You might want to call him, thats is how I found the best way to get ahold of him - Mike Willams, Magnaflow - 1-800-824-8664, ask for Mike Williams in Tech Support, dont leave him a VM, get him to talk to you! :)

azpyroguy said:

See pictures...

That looks a WHOLE LOT like the Ford Lightning exhaust... :dontknow: :hmmmm2:

attachment.php

azpyroguy said:
You might want to call him, thats is how I found the best way to get ahold of him - Mike Willams, Magnaflow - 1-800-824-8664, ask for Mike Williams in Tech Support, dont leave him a VM, get him to talk to you! :)

Ok, so, I called Mike Williams at Magnaflow this morning. He told me that they are looking for a 2006 QC for a prototype and he referred me to the "free exhaust" link on the company's home page to sign up, which I did.

I can see why most people wouldn't qualify or wouldn't want to sign up to use their car or truck as a prototype. The vehicle has to be "completely or nearly stock" (which rules most of the QC's on this board out) AND you have to be willing to give them your vehicle for a MINIMUM of 5 days to do measurements and to install the system.

However, they indicate that they will give you a free rental car as part of the bargain. So, I can drive down there, have a mini vacation (food and lodging only) in and around SoCal, NVand AZ, and then drive home w/a free exhaust system.

I'm in for that!!! Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. :rock:

Back