Meguiars Scratch & Swirl Remover

CRexSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the paint on my truck looks great, but after 84k miles the swirls are beginning to really show themselves in direct sunlight. Bought some of the Meguiars scratch and swirl remover and was wondering if anyone has used it and whether it is worth using?:dontknow:

So the paint on my truck looks great, but after 84k miles the swirls are beginning to really show themselves in direct sunlight. Bought some of the Meguiars scratch and swirl remover and was wondering if anyone has used it and whether it is worth using?:dontknow:

I wouldn't use it on a Black Truck, talk to a professional detailer or a paint shop. You may do more harm than good.

Depending on how bad the scratches are you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Ultimate Polish, UP being the lighter of the two. They can both be used by hand. However your hands will hate you if you are actually serious about making the entire truck look good. Lol
A dual action polisher would be your best friend in this case however they're a couple hundred bucks.
Might just want to find a good detailer in your area (some are even mobile and will come to you) and let them take care of it.

Depending on how bad the scratches are you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Ultimate Polish, UP being the lighter of the two. They can both be used by hand. However your hands will hate you if you are actually serious about making the entire truck look good. Lol
A dual action polisher would be your best friend in this case however they're a couple hundred bucks.
Might just want to find a good detailer in your area (some are even mobile and will come to you) and let them take care of it.

It looks like dual action polishers are the safest way to go now. I've considered buying one but I know black is tough to do. The only problem I have with some of these local shops is I haven't seem any of their work. I'm half way relentless to let anyone touch it because I'm afraid if they mess up the finish I'll have to kill them, but I'm afraid if I screw up the finish I'll kill myself.:confused::dontknow: Im considering buying a dual action polisher. From what I read they seem pretty safe if you learn how to properly use them.

DA polishers can be used by a kid. It's pretty much impossible to burn the paint with them. Yeah the bad thing about retailers is they may talk a big game and then leave rotary trails all down the side of your truck.
I have a Porter Cable 7424xp.

DA polishers can be used by a kid. It's pretty much impossible to burn the paint with them. Yeah the bad thing about retailers is they may talk a big game and then leave rotary trails all down the side of your truck.
I have a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Sounds like you're pretty confident in them.. I'm really considering buying one. I've been watching some videos of guys using them. What kind of polishing compounds do you use with the polisher?

Re: Meguiars Scratch & Swirl Remover

I have the same porter cable dual action polisher with various backing pads and all sorts of foam pads. All have their own job to do. Best investment I've ever made.

Side note, do you own both a crx and srt-10? Your handle seems to suggest that. I do! 90 si and 04 srt-10. I baby the crx:) 100 percent stock, near showroom condition, first car I ever owned!

Side note, do you own both a crx and srt-10? Your handle seems to suggest that. I do! 90 si and 04 srt-10. I baby the crx:) 100 percent stock, near showroom condition, first car I ever owned!

No, I do know a little about the cars but my first name starts with a C and my last name is Rex. Sounds like a sweet car you have though!

I did a bit of painting/sanding/polishing in my previous life. I only use 3M products and no I never used a DA to polish. I use an old school 8" spinning pneumatic.

Depending on the condition determines what polishing product I use and more importantly what disk I use....several types of foam, wool or synthetic. Best advice I can give you is always start with the least abrasive product. For simple swirl marks 3M makes a product just for black paint (though regular Finesse II works well) and my foam pad set on medium speed makes short work of swirls. Always best to work first on another vehicle. Back in the day we'd start the newbies on spare doors/fenders etc and let them practice on those.

Sounds like a good idea. We've got an older Tundra that could use a good going over so I figured I'd give it a good practice before considering touching my 10.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back