MISFIRE/SURGE with ROE SC, IC,ROE camshaft & meth

Stupuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as in my previous thread i stated that i had changed my spark plugs to that e3 garbage. After the plugs broke, i had "spi" in oakville ontario repair the damage.

They replaced all my intake valves, re-seated, installed the ROE racing cam and some high grade plug wires.

after having the truck delivered back, (i live 400km away from "spi") i noticed problems right away....

the truck surges hard under load and a bit of boost...i've got the 14psi kit with every performance part i could get from ROE...

after a couple surges i noticed i had nothing on my vacuum/boost gauge.

got under the hood and realized that i blew off a vacuum line. i repaired it and it is still misfireing/surging...

My main question is that i cam across a piece of metal with the SMALLEST hole through it inside the vacuum line that goes to the vec3 computer... is that supposed it be there? is to blocking the boost from getting to the vec3 and causing fuel conditions to go lean?

PLZ HELP i've only had this truck a year and out of that year it hasn't worked properly yet...

VEC2 computer vacuum line blockage

was looking at the vacuum lines to my VEC2 and noticed that there is a piece of metal in the vacuum line with a VERY small hole through it. Is this piece supposed to be there to protect the VEC2 from boost? Or is it blocking boost pressure from the VEC2 causing all my problems????

PLZ HELP, the truck runs like a pile right now...

any HELP would be appreciated...bought a truck last year that doesn't run properly....

Last edited by a moderator:
yup. they dont have a clue whats wrong. originally they thought the vec had moisture on the circuis cuz i was gettign a red light when inserting cards... swapped the vec and the red light went away but the issue was never resolved.

bought the truck from "LoveThisTruck" was running perfect when i flew down to see it...
not so much on delivery...

co-insodence or not... unhappy about the situation and runnign low on ideas.

i had the headers unbolted last night to verify that my highflow cats aren't plugged. they're not...

Is there anyone else that has a piece of brass with a small hole inside the vacuum line ahead of thier vec?

i'm scared to take it out... what if its there to protect the vec somehow... i dunno, hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation

If I were in your shoes, I would

1. Get the truck back to the shop that just did the work.
2. Talk to Roe about that piece you found. Also might talk to them about upgrading to the VEC3. From what I remember, there was quite a few people that had issues with the 2.

i have to wait to talk to either of them. kinda hoping its jsut something that they missed or didn't check... if i needed to goto vec3 they could have gone ahead. they had the truck for 5months and basically put everything they felt was needed.

thanks anyways tho

Start by changing the picture in your signature line. It's confusing to read about a Roe, then see a stock engine.

Also, post up pics (video would be even better) of the brass peice you are talking about. If you do video, showing us the surge wouldn't hurt either.

The VEC 2 and VEC 3 are pretty much the same although the VEC 3 can adjust fuel for IAT increases. Probably not a VEC issue unless the unit is bad. If the instructions don't mention the piece of metal then It's probably not ment to be there.

If there is no rattles or banging when the engine is running then it is tune related. Did Roe get you a vec base tune? where did the tune come from? bring it to a tuner.

was looking at the vacuum lines to my VEC2 and noticed that there is a piece of metal in the vacuum line with a VERY small hole through it. Is this piece supposed to be there to protect the VEC2 from boost? Or is it blocking boost pressure from the VEC2 causing all my problems????

PLZ HELP, the truck runs like a pile right now...

The VEC needs an accurate reading of boost in order to compensate with fuel/timing. If you changed the cam then your tune will be off. The VEC has it's limitations especially when it's used to control three things like the cam,injectors, and blower. Two things at once is fine..injectors/blower. I've discussed this with Sean and he told me the SCT does a better job of controlling all three. Did the shop do any tuning? Hopefully they degreed the cam properly.

Hate that you're having these problems man. I never experienced anything like what you're describing:dontknow:

the shop says that they tuned the vec for the cam and everything... i'm going to pull that little piece of what ever out of the vacuum line now. i'll take a picture of it and post it.

The engine runs fine at idle. even makes about 3-5psi of boost. thats where it starts bucking and banging...

its all good brad, just looking for answers/help

With all the work done the stock timing and fuel maps need to reconfigured. I think they don't have the tune right at all! Do you have any other tunes you can try? If changing the tune doesn't help then there is something wrong mechanically. Get the shop to figure it out did it run good when you picked it up?

they told me that they programmed my vec to accept the cam and they had it at 698hp on the dyno. my mother picked the truck up and drove it to her house (i was in the field). even she said it was running funny...

as for the piece of metal in the vacuum line ahead of my vec, it looks like a broken off barb fitting...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...606051815_514721814_12516394_1921853272_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403519_10150993606206815_831596526_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...3605941815_514721814_12516393_598077041_n.jpg

So, after i removed this plugged barb fitting. it seems to be better but not fixed... it develops more boost (11 or 12psi) now and more power. but its not getting to max boost (14spi) and it seems sluggish. significantly less misfires & surges tho...

One thing that i'm noticing is that who ever wired in the vec did a terrible job.. but it doesn't make a difference if i wiggle the wiring and none of the connections are loose or corroded. the vec's four dignostic lights are not showing any issues.

Im trying to rig up my go-pro so i can get a clear shot of all my gauges for a drive so u guys can see...

Thanx for all the help!

Last edited:
Thats a broken hose barb. Post a picture of where you found it. Where does they line start and where does it go.

The truck didn't run right when your mom picked it up from the shop, but made 698 on their dyno, is this correct?

yes it does look like that.
i found it 6 inches from the vec and about 24 inches from the engine

and yes according to the shop the rebuilt the engine...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back