Miss Fire (P0304)

What The!!!
Computer kept saying P0304 and the plug on 4 was find. However i found this one on 9 just today.

Looks like oil. Hard to tell from the pic but is that stuff gooey or is it hard like a rock ?

That much in only 3 weeks ? Most likely has something more significant than a valve seal.

--CC

So i took it in and mechanic found 12% leak on all cylinders. 3 of them being filled with carbon. He said he needs to pull the heads off to further diagnose and would cost me around 2k depending on what all needs to be done to the heads. Worst case scenario he would have to rebuild the motor and that would be a 7k bill :(

did he pull the valve covers & inspect???

bore scope help any in trouble shootin.

i'm sort of old school here, 12% good/bad??? what is spec on leak down test???

didn't ya say ya ran a comp. test??? what were the numbers on that???

did he pull the valve covers & inspect???

bore scope help any in trouble shootin.

i'm sort of old school here, 12% good/bad??? what is spec on leak down test???

didn't ya say ya ran a comp. test??? what were the numbers on that???

According to him 8-12% is good. So i guess im right at the line. He did pull the valve cover off and didnt find anything. Compression test came out good (the one he did) last one i did was 185. I didnt ask for his comp. numbers :)shot:) he did use a bore scope but could not really see much because the bad cylinders were covered in carbon.

Unfortunately that's exactly how my #10 plug looked when I melted the piston. Less black goop but my new plug only went around the block not 1,000 miles. Compression test showed 0 on #10cyl.

Unfortunately that's exactly how my #10 plug looked when I melted the piston. Less black goop but my new plug only went around the block not 1,000 miles. Compression test showed 0 on #10cyl.

since the comp. runs 185 p.s.i. & leak down is in specs. rules out holey piston.

ya still runnin stock crank case breather system???

to me its leanin towards the rings:(

Yes, the motor is completely stock. Well one way to find out. Im going to give him the ok to proceed and remove the heads tomorrow. I guess i never specified the millage...80,000

Sooo.. when i pulled of the valve cover off... i only pulled one off because the code sain it was on cylinder 4. Weeeeell...since im taking the heads of myself, i started to take of the valve cover off on the other side and this is what i found!!!

Attachments

• 20140911_211521.jpg
    20140911_211521.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 20140911_211446.jpg
    20140911_211446.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Sooo.. when i pulled of the valve cover off... i only pulled one off because the code sain it was on cylinder 4. Weeeeell...since im taking the heads of myself, i started to take of the valve cover off on the other side and this is what i found!!!

Ouch! Someone's been in there before. No sealant used on our engines :(
I have stock pushrods and rockers if you need. Lemme know

Ouch! Someone's been in there before. No sealant used on our engines :(
I have stock pushrods and rockers if you need. Lemme know

Well i ended up getting the 3/8 push rods from Roe Racing along with the pedestal. He is looking to see if he has a spare rocker laying around that i may use. If he don't I'll let you know, Thanks!

Last edited:
I hope pistons and bearings are ok especially if metal shaving got into the oil :(. I will be taking the heads off today after work.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back