My new 10 feels SLOW

I remember somebody had a problem once with a lack of power and it turned out to be the throttle cable was not seating properly. (Stinker or some of the other original members might remember this.) Check the cable under the hood. Also check to make sure nothing is in the way in the cab of the gas pedal. It seems silly but DC Performance once talked about how aftermarket mats were stopping the gas pedal from reaching WOT during a dyno run.

In your vids your truck sounds normal to me. If you have a clogged cat, your exhaust manifolds will get really hot and sometimes even red. Do you have an CAI on it or stock? If you have an CAI there is the problem of heat soak. Truck will feel slower when its hot. A DC Perf. stage two flash and lower t stat will eliminate that problem. My truck was a half second slower when hot at the track.

patrick

4to10cyl said:
It seems like everyone is saying the same thing, they all think it has something to do with the exhaust. I've heard of way too many cats getting clogged up. Go fix that!!

I will.

patrick's right... i remember the fella' with throttle cable problem. if its not riding the bracket assembly correctly it won't open fully.:argh:

Greg Z said:
I just picked it up today, never drove one before. It runs smooth and drives perfect but just doesn't seem to have the power it should. If I roll into it hard at 5mph it won't even break them lose. I did a 4k clutch dump just to see and all it did was leave 2 pretty long blackmarks but did not cause a smoke feet by no means at all. Is this normal? How can I tell if my truck is up to par? I will PM my number to anyone who may be able to help me better on the phone rather than in words typed. Thnx, Greg Z

I expect there's nothing wrong with your truck. If you have no interest in modding and/or don't have high value for owning a unique vehicle that will soon trend towards rare, I suggest not keeping it. You can make it fast but they aren't fast initially/stock (versus lots of other vehicles on the road representing much less of an investment).

Lots of folks on the forum can help you if you choose to keep it.

Best to you,
oldguy

my 04 will spin clean thru 1-2-,3 it hits and goes but i got a few mods

Greg Z said:
everything you said sounds good and I will check compression. I'll PM you my number, just call me when you're in from offshore.
Greg Z
I will try to get a vid but not till at least this weekend I won't have a chance to drive her till then with all the hours I have been working latley
on a side note I think that the 04's with the 4:10 gears will spin better due to the fact that once they break loose there is higher wheel speed, the 4:56 trucks will "catch up" to their wheel speed faster. any thoughts??:dontknow:
joe:rock:

oldguysrt10 said:
I expect there's nothing wrong with your truck. If you have no interest in modding and/or don't have high value for owning a unique vehicle that will soon trend towards rare, I suggest not keeping it.

Not trying to be disrespectful here, but my truck ended up dyno'n at 374 to the wheels which is about 435hp aprox to the crank instead of 505, so I would say there is definitly something wrong with the truck.

and as far as my intrest in rare vehicles:confused: have you even remotely glanced at my sig;)

at 374 rwhp you do have something not right ,,i think all r/c will dyno over 400 ,,every dyno i seen with a stock truck is 410 to 425 ,,i never seen a ten dyno below 400 ,,

All right, definitely sounds like something is wrong. Any chance you monitored A:F on the dyno??

Greg Z said:
.... my truck ended up dyno'n at 374 to the wheels which is about 435hp aprox to the crank instead of 505, so I would say there is definitly something wrong with the truck.
;)

That isnt right. Your either not getting WOT or somethings definatly wrong with your truck. If you can return it, you might want to. Lots of others out there for sale.

patrick

Greg have you talked to the guy you got the truck from?

I'd see if you could return it if you don't find out SOON what's wrong.

I took mine out today for the first time in a month and within 1 minute I was scaring the neighbor kids with all the smoke!
No dumping the clutch or reving it up. I just nailed it as soon as clutch was released!

Let me explain my comment in prior post about sounding like a big boat car with single exhaust (should also have said 2 barrel carb.:D )

The boat sound to me is like a slow "whoooooooose"
Normal sounds more throaty and clean. Hard to explain but sure you understand looking at your other cars.:)

Video sound from in cab video did sound OK compared to the first video.

How does it sound to you? Video cams sound are not very accurate.:dontknow:

OPPS... just found Dyno thread.:eek:

Last edited:
GhostR1der said:
so does it run any better? Does it feel fast now?

Yes, it does. I did a repeat of the 4K clutch drop and this time it bounced off the rev limiter twice before taking off. as you can see from the in-cab video it didn't come close to doing that before.

mauiSRT/10 said:
That isnt right. Your either not getting WOT or somethings definatly wrong with your truck. If you can return it, you might want to. Lots of others out there for sale.

patrick

I could have returned it as of yesterday but I re-negiotiated and decided to keep the truck. He is paid in full now so it is my truck, no and, if's, or buts LOL.

Stagethree said:
Greg have you talked to the guy you got the truck from?

I'd see if you could return it if you don't find out SOON what's wrong.

I took mine out today for the first time in a month and within 1 minute I was scaring the neighbor kids with all the smoke!
No dumping the clutch or reving it up. I just nailed it as soon as clutch was released!

Let me explain my comment in prior post about sounding like a big boat car with single exhaust (should also have said 2 barrel carb.:D )

The boat sound to me is like a slow "whoooooooose"
Normal sounds more throaty and clean. Hard to explain but sure you understand looking at your other cars.:)

Video sound from in cab video did sound OK compared to the first video.

How does it sound to you? Video cams sound are not very accurate.:dontknow:

OPPS... just found Dyno thread.:eek:

I do understand what you mean by that sound and I agree it sounded like that. And you ended up being right, the aftermarket cheesy muffler was choking the beast down. heres a link
http://vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28427

Last edited:
All of that was because it wasn't breathing right?!!??

Damn!

Glad you figured it out!

Is it possible to do valve damage because of back-pressure caused by restrictive exhaust?

I wouldn't worry about anything now. I'm glad you got all the extra HP back.

Ironhead said:
at 374 rwhp you do have something not right ,,i think all r/c will dyno over 400 ,,every dyno i seen with a stock truck is 410 to 425 ,,i never seen a ten dyno below 400 ,,
Yep, mine dynoed about 426 bone stock.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back