My Rim/Drag Slick combo I will be testing this week at the track...Pics!!

Can you chime-in here "FSTJACK" and tell them what's going to happen to a set-up like this....... I think you've been down this alley.

Quick

he may under perfect conditions run out of gear,, yata yata, but again maybe not, have at it bro, and let us know.

The only real tire option I found was M and H drag radial, a slick with grooves, that is 390/40R17
rim 12 inch
tread 12.1 inch
sec. 14.8 inch
diameter 29.5 inch

or nitto drag radial P305/45-R18
Rim 9.5-11.5
sec/wheel 12.1 on 10
diameter 28.8

hope this helps

Stinker said:
he may under perfect conditions run out of gear,, yata yata, but again maybe not, have at it bro, and let us know.

The only real tire option I found was M and H drag radial, a slick with grooves, that is 390/40R17
rim 12 inch
tread 12.1 inch
sec. 14.8 inch
diameter 29.5 inch

or nitto drag radial P305/45-R18
Rim 9.5-11.5
sec/wheel 12.1 on 10
diameter 28.8

hope this helps

The M&H sticks out to far and the nitto just doesn't grab enough.....:(

QUICKSILVER said:
Can you chime-in here "FSTJACK" and tell them what's going to happen to a set-up like this....... I think you've been down this alley.

Quick

The short drag tire will help on the launch beacuse it is a soft compound "drag slick".

It is however too short to really hook as well as a 31"+ tire would work on a really agressive launch.

The contact patch is too short to put enough rubber on the ground. The difference in circumferance is 17", 83" vs 100" stock.

We knew that we could get a 17" rim on the 04 truck over 2.5 years ago but then as now tires are the problem. There is not a 17" drag radial or drag slick that is tall enough to work. The tire manufacturers tell me that they want a taller side wall on a wide drag tire.

This will work in a lightly modded 04 with a 4.10 gear not a 05 with 4.56's as all the 05's and up have.
A boosted or nitroused 04 will have to shift into 5th.
05's and 06's with 4.56"s will have to shift into 5th with any engine combination.
6000RPM in 04's with this tire will be 113MPH
6000RPM in 05's with 4.56 is only 101MPH

This tire/wheel will help but is not the real answer. The rear brakes need to be changed out to allow a 15" rim to be used.
With 15's your choices are very broad as to what tire you want to run.

There just are no good inexpensive ways to get traction with the Ram SRT-10.

FSTJACK said:
The short drag tire will help on the launch beacuse it is a soft compound "drag slick".

It is however too short to really hook as well as a 31"+ tire would work on a really agressive launch.

The contact patch is too short to put enough rubber on the ground. The difference in circumferance is 17", 83" vs 100" stock.

We knew that we could get a 17" rim on the 04 truck over 2.5 years ago but then as now tires are the problem. There is not a 17" drag radial or drag slick that is tall enough to work. The tire manufacturers tell me that they want a taller side wall on a wide drag tire.

This will work in a lightly modded 04 with a 4.10 gear not a 05 with 4.56's as all the 05's and up have.
A boosted or nitroused 04 will have to shift into 5th.
05's and 06's with 4.56"s will have to shift into 5th with any engine combination.
6000RPM in 04's with this tire will be 113MPH
6000RPM in 05's with 4.56 is only 101MPH

This tire/wheel will help but is not the real answer. The rear brakes need to be changed out to allow a 15" rim to be used.
With 15's your choices are very broad as to what tire you want to run.

There just are no good inexpensive ways to get traction with the Ram SRT-10.

and that is the complete and final answer......for now.....Patrick is talking to a couple of Brake companies...If we get 15 people to commit perhaps they will make a kit for us and then we can beat L's consistantly....:D

Nowwhat said:
and that is the complete and final answer......for now.....Patrick is talking to a couple of Brake companies...If we get 15 people to commit perhaps they will make a kit for us and then we can beat L's consistantly....:D

Put me down for 1 of the 15!!!!! Can you grind the calipers enough to make 15's fit or only 16's? How are the tire choices for 16's?

Rice Eater said:
Put me down for 1 of the 15!!!!! Can you grind the calipers enough to make 15's fit or only 16's? How are the tire choices for 16's?

The M&H cheater slick I have now is great in 16".....30.3" tall but it "grows" 1 inch at speed so gearing is fine....

15" won't fit no matter how much grinding you do....

AND NOW FOR THE RESULTS...........................................................

"FASTJACK HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOSE!! ARE YOU A GREAT SWAMI!!??:rock: "

I'll get straight to the numbers:

May 31st Set up: Centerforce/Fidenza, removed air filter from stock box, took off tail gate. 83 degrees
60' 2.291
1/8th 9.023 MPH 80.89
1000' 11.605
1/4 13.799 MPH 102.76

Last Night's Set up: Centerforce/Fidenza, K&N air charger, 26'' tall MT ET streets at 23psi, no spare tire, no tail gate.

60' 2.084 "Dumping the clutch at 3,500 RPM"
1/8th 8.949 MPH 81.75
1000' 11.566
1/4 13.742 MPH 104.44 4th gear approx 5,300RPM

And now for some commentary:
Truck definately feels like it has 5:13 gears...very torquey! I was not able to master the power brake yet with manual...I am going to practice that more in a pkg lot. But doing a good rolling burnout was ok to get the tires a little sticky and fun to know your not roasting your scorps. Next time out I hope to have the power brake down and air the tires down to 18psi and see what happens at a 4,00 or 4,500 RPM lauch.

One run I missed 3rd and still ran a 13.8 and a couple of runs I brokem loose off the line from launching too high.

My questions are this: Why did I drop 3 tenths in the fist 60 and increase 2 MPH at the traps and not even loose a full tenth on my ET? The only thing I can think is that either I wasn't shifting as fast or the time it takes to shift :driver: into forth happens sooner now rather than right at the line. Anyways the setup is good enough for me for now to play around on. I am going to start next with lowering kit, cal tracs and then save up for headers catless mids and exhaust. If the exhaust puts me right near redline in 4th at the traps its probably the best I can do on these tires. Would also be interesting to see what will happen in 60 degree weather.

Sorry no video...need to bring the girlfriend up next time! :rock:

I am probably on for next Wednesday unless some others want to make it Friday...I prob wont go this friday.

Good data....Rice...hope you had fun...

you can air those tires down Alot.....16 psi

Were you spinning off the line????? if you were put the tailgate back on for traction.....

as far as your E/T not dropping....could be your shifts or you could be spinning those short tires in 2nd and 3rd.....don't know....need vid....

NOWWHAT....the most fun I've ever had at the drag strip in any car! So much fun to just launch it off the line. I spun a couple of times...i will lower the pressure more next time for sure!

I don't think the tires were spinning on the 2nd or 3rd shifts. With the stockers they were for sure cause I could hear them chrip every shift even 4th! I think it was my shifts...probably being careful to not miss a gear...I'm sure I could shift faster....BOOMER....HELP!

Will Caltracs help me off the line and with the 1-2 shift w/ this setup? I am getting ready to order Boomers lowering kit and cal tracs if you all think they'd help me!

Hey Rice Eater.
Make sure your not revving past the power band either. RCs need to shift between 5500 and 5600 rpms for optimum ETs.
:rock:

TX viper! I was trying to focus on that but the shifts were coming up so fast! I may have been reving past that cause I was so excited...might explain it. What do y'all set your shift lights at?

Last edited:
Rice Eater said:
TX viper! I was trying to focus on that but the shifts were coming up so fast! I may have been reving past that cause I was so excited...might explain it. What do y'all set your shift lights at?
I play it all by ear, but after looking at my dyno results shifting around 5600 is the way to go.

5500 is where mine starts going downhill on the TQ, but the HP goes higher all the way up to 6200,

Mines set @ 5600

Rice Eater said:
NOWWHAT....the most fun I've ever had at the drag strip in any car! So much fun to just launch it off the line. I spun a couple of times...i will lower the pressure more next time for sure!

I don't think the tires were spinning on the 2nd or 3rd shifts. With the stockers they were for sure cause I could hear them chrip every shift even 4th! I think it was my shifts...probably being careful to not miss a gear...I'm sure I could shift faster....BOOMER....HELP!

Will Caltracs help me off the line and with the 1-2 shift w/ this setup? I am getting ready to order Boomers lowering kit and cal tracs if you all think they'd help me!

Caltracs are a great help....especially for $400.00 have them installed at the same time as the lowering kit....When they are on PM me and we will talk about how to preload them for track use.....they will get you another .1 off your 60'

hmm not bad at all. I think 1.8 60fts are possible out of these wheels. Perhaps next time you should really get the pressure below 20psi and throw the spare, wing, and tailgate back on . that weight doesnt hurt, only helps. if any thing next time drop ur pressure down to like 15 as nowwhat said and mark your rim and tire with like "white out" or some thin just to be sure the tire isnt spinning on the wheel which is bad. I think this combo is great for being such a cheap mod!!!

In my very humble opinion the best option for a drag wheel combo if you do not want the hassle of dealing with the brakes is the 18"x10" wheel with 305/45/18 (28" tall tire) nitto DR I was cutting 1.8 60's with these(actually I had the 35 series drs which were only 26" tall but still cut those 1.8's) it wasn't until I started spraying that these would just spin in every gear(720lb/tq will do that I guess:D )

305/45/18 on a 18x10 wheel will give you a bigger footprint while also giving you the 28" tall tire. I use these as street tires on my L and I'm still able to cut 1.7 60's and that's babying off the Line and rolling on the throttle:rock:

On a stock to mildly modded N/A truck I think these will give the best results.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back