My Rim/Drag Slick combo I will be testing this week at the track...Pics!!

Good info Rice. You had a blast and thats the most important thing!!! Misshifting is a bitch......try looking for third and hitting first!!! That'll wake you up!! Boomers gen 1 shifter is so much better than the stocker...... his gen 4 or whatever it is, sounds like it'll be even better. Sounds like you have done this before........ as you know more seat time and your times will only get better each trip.

Keep us updated bro.

patrick

Last edited:
Rice Eater said:
enough for me for now to play around on. I am going to start next with lowering kit, cal tracks.

Just have to watch the ground clearance with the Caltracks and a short tire...pic is with the stocker rims / rubber and Boomers 1"-2" drop kit...OEM shocks.

caltrackclearancers.jpg

Knock off 1.36" and thats where I am at with the rims/rubber in the sig.

Nowwhat said:
When they are on PM me and we will talk about how to preload them for track use.....they will get you another .1 off your 60'

More to it than turning the Force Transfer Link one quarter turn more to establish pre-load and then tighten the Force Transfer Link lock nut? :dontknow:

NBT said:
More to it than turning the Force Transfer Link one quarter turn more to establish pre-load and then tighten the Force Transfer Link lock nut? :dontknow:

Yeah I go 1 FULL TURN OF PRE LOAD.....then before I leave the track I back it off......

NBT said:
Just have to watch the ground clearance with the Caltracks and a short tire...pic is with the stocker rims / rubber and Boomers 1"-2" drop kit...OEM shocks.

caltrackclearancers.jpg

Knock off 1.36" and thats where I am at with the rims/rubber in the sig.

So with a tire that is 4'' shorter where do you think that'll put the bottom of the caltracs?? I sometimes have a hard time envisioning stuff like this...is it 4'' lower than NBT's or half that at 2''??? Should be ok just for the track. would this change with boomers new lowering kit w/ replacement shocks and all????

Does anyone else have a theory why my ET was not lower than the first run I made since 60 foot was 3 tenths faster and mph was up 2??

Hey Rice can you take a picture of the wheels from behind? I want to get an idea as to how much grip the tires have. Thanks.

Rice Eater said:
Does anyone else have a theory why my ET was not lower than the first run I made since 60 foot was 3 tenths faster and mph was up 2??
Must be the missing wing, LOL.

Seriously, Could be anything from track conditions to shifting to clutch slip, :confused: Hard to say without doing back to back runs with identical conditions.;)

Rice Eater said:

ok so the :

60' = launch and traction and at .3 faster your E/t should be .6 faster

Trap speed = horsepower at the wheels...so either your truck was runnig better or the D/A was better (more likely)

so the problem is somewhere in the middle....I find it hard to believe that good vs. bad shifting would make such a difference...unless you missed 3rd....which you didn't....

My guess is that you just didn't hear those new slicks spinning in 2nd and 3rd...most tracks (on open nights) only prep (VHT) the launch area when you shift into 2nd and 3rd you were probably on raw track.....with your slicks aired up as much as they were....they would spin clean and quiet.....

I sent a PM to Fast Jack asking for some input...here is his response and my response to him. Thanks FJ!!!!

FSTJACK said:
Rice Eater said:
FSTJACK,

Thanks for posting in my thread about the 26'' tall drag slicks. I posted results back there in the SRT10 race section on the same post. Can you shed any light as to why my 60' time was reduced by 3 tenths and MPH was up 2 compared to the stock run....but my ET didn't even decrease a full tenth? I had plenty of gear left in 4th. TX for your time!

It is post #30 here where I have the data:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735&page=3

That is the question of the week. I have been thinking about that question since you posted the run data.
If you could post all the #'s off the time slip including the 330 ' info it would help. You also did not have air temp data for one of the sessions.
I see that you changed the air filter assembly between sessions.
The 2 things that you changed Air Filter, & tires really needed to be done seperatly, to base line each. I am guilty of making many changes at once and not knowing what did what. Without knownig the real effect of each mod by itself it is impossible to say what happened. I have done things that slowed the car and if I did it without enough data or with another mod, I am in the dark. Weather and air density, and humidity, track temp ect, ect, ect, is very important. Check that you are not "long" shifting 2nd or 3rd. Getting too close to the red line and past the 54-5500RPM shift points. Are you "power shifting"? Gas pedal stays on the floor for the entire run. And if so how many gears?

IT is easy to overrun your shift points, untill you get used to the different way the truck 'Feels", with a "shorter" gear which is what the smaller tire does to the effective gear ratio.
Man there are so many variables in making a good clean pass. It looks so easy to do from the stands.
Give me more info if you have it and we can try to figure out what is happening........

Be good to yurself today........Jack

Thanks Fast Jack for your input. Yes there are so many more variables with a stick shift versus the autos I have ran in the past....this is way more fun though! Here is the data with the 330' included:

May 31st Set up: Centerforce/Fidenza, removed air filter from stock box, took off tail gate. 83 degrees
60' 2.291
330' 5.986
1/8th 9.023 MPH 80.89
1000' 11.605
1/4 13.799 MPH 102.76

Last Night's Set up: Centerforce/Fidenza, K&N air charger, 26'' tall MT ET streets at 23psi, no spare tire, no tail gate. 85 degrees

60' 2.084 "Dumping the clutch at 3,500 RPM"
330' 5.855
1/8th 8.949 MPH 81.75
1000' 11.566
1/4 13.742 MPH 104.44 4th gear approx 5,300RPM

The 330 reveals some intersting stuff. The 60' difference is actually .207 and the 330' difference is only .131 sec. So it may be the shifts are too slow or too late "getting past the 5500rpm mark.

I think I do a variation of powershifting....i can't say i keep the pedal to the floor but I probably let up about half way when shifting. Is it best to just keep her down to the floor on every shift? Is it harder to hit the gears doing that?

Thanks everyone for your input! Can't wait for next week who wants to come!!??

Nowwhat said:
ok so the :

60' = launch and traction and at .3 faster your E/t should be .6 faster

Trap speed = horsepower at the wheels...so either your truck was runnig better or the D/A was better (more likely)

so the problem is somewhere in the middle....I find it hard to believe that good vs. bad shifting would make such a difference...unless you missed 3rd....which you didn't....

My guess is that you just didn't hear those new slicks spinning in 2nd and 3rd...most tracks (on open nights) only prep (VHT) the launch area when you shift into 2nd and 3rd you were probably on raw track.....with your slicks aired up as much as they were....they would spin clean and quiet.....

Trap spped= HP at the wheels....would the trap speed not increase with the lower gear ratio resulting from the shorter tire alone??

The tires may have been spinning silently on the shifts...good possibility.

Rice Eater said:
Trap spped= HP at the wheels....would the trap speed not increase with the lower gear ratio resulting from the shorter tire alone??

The tires may have been spinning silently on the shifts...good possibility.

your trap speed on your time slip has nothing to do with your speedo...you are being timed by the track equipment...the only way to increase trap speed is rwhp....the D/A = more rwhp or a tailwind.....

When you go next get some video....You will see a lot of guys with a big white stripe on the slicks...that is so their spotters can tell when they are spinning....doesn't have to be pretty but that may help.....lower the tires to 16 psi and I think you will be a happy camper....

Nowwhat said:
your trap speed on your time slip has nothing to do with your speedo...you are being timed by the track equipment...the only way to increase trap speed is rwhp....the D/A = more rwhp or a tailwind......

Agreed that speed is monitored by track equipment.

I have to disagree with you about the only way to increase mph at the traps is to add HP....I am under the assumption that going to a lower gear ratio "until a certain point" will increase your mph at the traps with out adding any more HP....which is what the smaller diameter tires did. Correct me if i am falsely assuming. Why do people put lower gears in their trucks then? Answer: to go faster both ET and MPH.

Back