My SRT-10 Experience as DD Winter vehicle [Chicago]

vvv90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I took a chance. I ditched my 4X4 Dakota last year and got an SRT-10 RC as my daily driver.

I was a little nervous about this so needless to say I got 4 60lb bags of sand and a shovel in the bed.

I live in Chicago, and if anybody is familiar with the weather we've been getting it's the snowiest in 20 years.

I gotta say it's the best RWD vehicle I've ever had in the snow.

Damn thing moves out no problem. Once in a while I'll sit and spin on ice but I've yet to use my shovel even once.

I've been on the road and parked outside every single snow fall we've gotten this year.

I don't regret the choice one bit!

If anyone is doing the same and complains then learn how to drive a RWD vehicle in the snow. You're probably one of those people who grew up driving FWD/AWD vehicles. My first car was a 1976 Bonneville Brogham 350 with 190 series bias plys and CERTAINLY no TC....so maybe I'm trained well...I dunno.

My other car is an '06 300C SRT-8 with an open diff and traction control. It sucks compared to my non-TC posi truck.

:D

Id probably take mine out in the winter if it wasnt for all that salt.. its not worth it to me. I bought a 30 mpg beater for the winter.

SchuettS said:
Id probably take mine out in the winter if it wasnt for all that salt.. its not worth it to me. I bought a 30 mpg beater for the winter.

Yeah well....This truck is my beater. :D Lucky me.

This is nasty though isn't it.

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

vvv90 said:

Probably the dirtiest srt-10 ive seen in a while.. :D Id cry.. haha

SchuettS said:
Probably the dirtiest srt-10 ive seen in a while.. :D Id cry.. haha

Yeah well. I sorta knew what I was getting into in the way of the color. My old Dakota was the same exact color and after 8 winters with it it still looked fantastic after a detail, and I STILL didn't take as good care of paint back then as I do now.

My other car is black and I try my best to keep it clean. (As you can see in the pics, I'm failing.) :D

Unfortunately the snow has been relentless in Chicago. I haven't had one nice week where I could wash it and keep the salt off. I gave up a month ago.

Just saw on the news tonight on how the brutal winter is really taking a toll on the Chicago roads. They said that the pot holes were really showing up this winter. Roads like that must be brutal in an SRT-10 since their suspensions are so stiff. More power to you bro.

RAM82A1 said:
Just saw on the news tonight on how the brutal winter is really taking a toll on the Chicago roads. They said that the pot holes were really showing up this winter. Roads like that must be brutal in an SRT-10 since their suspensions are so stiff. More power to you bro.

Yep. The pot holes have showed up big time over the past couple weeks, which means right next to the pot hole is the football sized chunk of asphalt that came out of it, so you actually have 2 obstacles to dodge, no pun intended.

Keeps me on my toes.

I started my truck on Sunday. Happened to have left it in the driveway. It was 28 below wind chills. Damn thing fired right up. Not bad for a 4 year old battery with 30k miles on it in -2 temps.

240 lbs of sand and a shovel helps add weight to rear. thats what we did in WVA

Chef-Greg said:
240 lbs of sand and a shovel helps add weight to rear. thats what we did in WVA

It adds to the look too. The wheel gap on the rear is the same as the front.

More sporty! :rock:

get stinker's lowerin shackles for same look the rest of the year. They work & look great!

Chef-Greg said:
get stinker's lowerin shackles for same look the rest of the year. They work & look great!

Why? When it cost me $4.00 per bag???

Of course, at 240lbs that's about .024 off my ET. :D

vvv90 said:

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg
I,m from Jersey,Not nearly as cold as Chicago,But just as much salt!
Real beaters are parked in the street.Your truck don't look too bad,Try driving across FL. during lovebug season!!!!:D

1qksrt said:
I,m from Jersey,Not nearly as cold as Chicago,But just as much salt!
Real beaters are parked in the street.Your truck don't look too bad,Try driving across FL. during lovebug season!!!!:D

Hahaha!!!

I know what you mean!

I'll take a coat of salt over bug guts any time!....and we get a lot out here in the corn fields!

Not quite as cold as Chi-town, but we've had a very wet winter here in Columbus.

The truck is my daily driver as well.
As evidenced....

P1030660.jpg

Ooh....Damn Kevan....That's nasty.

Nice to see your home builder put in those same cheap plastic light bulb recepticles in your house like they did mine too. :D

Well it explains why it was 52 this morning at 6 25am in ga, then when I left my job at 3pm it was down to 32, haha with snow flurries.

Glad, ga gets little to no snow!

I DO NOT MISS THE SNOW WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!

1qksrt said:
I DO NOT MISS THE SNOW WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!

Dude, if it wasn't for my friends and a job I couldn't get outside of Chicago, New York, I'd be out of this sh!t hole crappy weather in a heart beat!

vvv90 said:
Ooh....Damn Kevan....That's nasty.

Nice to see your home builder put in those same cheap plastic light bulb recepticles in your house like they did mine too. :D
I've cleaned her up since that pic, but it was pretty bad for a couple of days.
I do my best to get any salt off the truck within 24 hours.

The sockets in the garage aren't too bad. I have some nice "curly Q" bulbs in them that really light up the garage.
Might change them out to some nice track lighting this spring/summer.

Kevan said:
I've cleaned her up since that pic, but it was pretty bad for a couple of days.
I do my best to get any salt off the truck within 24 hours.

That's not bad then. The goal is to not let it sit too long.

The sockets in the garage aren't too bad. I have some nice "curly Q" bulbs in them that really light up the garage.
Might change them out to some nice track lighting this spring/summer.

I did the same thing. I got those Curly-Q floresent bulbs @ 150w in the garage. They're bright as hell but have you noticed they're real dim in this cold weather? In the summer they're brighter.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back