My truck is on it's way to get the SC installed..

jrgnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have it back soon....What kind of horsepower are you folks seeing on a stock engine. I know Nowwhat is probably the king of the jungle at this point. Just wanted to see a averga. Thanks...

jrgnd said:
I should have it back soon....What kind of horsepower are you folks seeing on a stock engine. I know Nowwhat is probably the king of the jungle at this point. Just wanted to see a averga. Thanks...

I would venture to say that it is all dependent on the tune.

And as you probably are already aware, unless you're ready for a new tranny, I would keep the HP under 550. I think before I do the SC, I will go built tranny.

Last edited:
When you get it back, where's it going for the new transmission?:p j/k

Seriously, what part of the country are you in and who's doing the install?

Hopefully all will go well for you and your truck will run like a raped ape! (Just an expression for our furry friends!;) )

Congrats man!! Your hp should depend on what tune you get. I would take Nowwhats advice and keep it around 600rwhp...

Boomer is doing it. He was the only installer who would do it with the Bassani's on and has a outstanding record on the installs..

On the tranny issue, I am looking into getting the full billet one from Sun Coast. I want to keep the stock converter cause I am not using slicks and really don't want the higher stall.

Waiting for a install quote on the tranny and will go from there.

jrgnd said:
Boomer is doing it. He was the only installer who would do it with the Bassani's on and has a outstanding record on the installs..

On the tranny issue, I am looking into getting the full billet one from Sun Coast. I want to keep the stock converter cause I am not using slicks and really don't want the higher stall.

Waiting for a install quote on the tranny and will go from there.

Guys at the risk of starting some debate that I really don't know anything about...I've seen the comment several times that you don't need a convertor upgrade unless you're running slicks. I disagree with that. I really don't think the tires you run has anything to do with the advantages of getting an upgraded or more bullet proof convertor. The tires you plan to run may have something to do with the stall speed of the convertor chosen, same as the cam and other overall considerations, but stock convertors are much more prone to failure (read explode) than upgraded ones, they create a lot more heat in the transmission, etc, etc. There are lot's of reasons to upgrade the convertor when you have the transmission out of the truck anyway, even if you stay with the stock stall speed...at least them's my thougths based on my understanding of the topic.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Guys at the risk of starting some debate that I really don't know anything about...I've seen the comment several times that you don't need a convertor upgrade unless you're running slicks. I disagree with that. I really don't think the tires you run has anything to do with the advantages of getting an upgraded or more bullet proof convertor. The tires you plan to run may have something to do with the stall speed of the convertor chosen, same as the cam and other overall considerations, but stock convertors are much more prone to failure (read explode) than upgraded ones, they create a lot more heat in the transmission, etc, etc. There are lot's of reasons to upgrade the convertor when you have the transmission out of the truck anyway, even if you stay with the stock stall speed...at least them's my thougths based on my understanding of the topic.

Well said Steve. You can stay with a stock stall speed, but still get a better convertor. Stall speed has nothing to do with how effective the convertor is.

Thanks...let me see if my piggy bank can support that...

Awesome jrgnd, I will deffinatly have to see that truck in person now when you get it back.

If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost for you to ship out to Boomer, and who did you use ?

Texas Yellow Fever said:

Well said.

Viper7777 said:
Awesome jrgnd, I will deffinatly have to see that truck in person now when you get it back.

If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost for you to ship out to Boomer, and who did you use ?

$852.00 one way. A gentleman that boomer recommended. He brought a trailer with a 2500 Ram and took it Saturday morning. The truck was in Indiana that night.

He charges $1.20 per mile. 710.85 miles according to Map Quest.

Texas Yellow Fever said:

Not an arguement.....but why put the cart before the horse

Has a stock 'verter ever failed...?....

Why not upgrade the drive shaft, the rear end, the axles, the rods, pistons, crank, heads, rockers, cam, the radiator,

A nice 'verter is $1200 then a bullet proof drum is $600..plus labor....not that it isn't good just where do you draw the line....

Just an opinion but if you are going to run street tires keep the stocker and....seriously consider beefing up the existing tranny for $3000.00...I have alot of passes on mine w/ slicks and the biatch shifts solid.....

Nowwhat said:

Why not upgrade the drive shaft, the rear end, the axles, the rods, pistons, crank, heads, rockers, cam, the radiator,

A nice 'verter is $1200 then a bullet proof drum is $600..plus labor....not that it isn't good just where do you draw the line....

Just an opinion but if you are going to run street tires keep the stocker and....seriously consider beefing up the existing tranny for $3000.00...I have alot of passes on mine w/ slicks and the biatch shifts solid.....

I understand and agree with your thoughts as well. I don't know if any stock convertors have failed in our trucks but that's not the only reason you would change one out. I believe that a relatively stock truck would benefit in a lot of ways from an aftermarket convertor, but the other half of my point was, he's gonna have the tranny out anyway, why not take care of business and then never have to worry about that part (transmission) again. I hate redoing shit that I've already done...I'd rather do everything I need to do when I'm at it, saves time money and energy in the long run.

That said, I do understand budgets and priorities...

Nowwhat said:

You can get a non-billet Suncoast tranny for $2795.00. Would you do that or just rebuild your tranny?

jrgnd said:
You can get a non-billet Suncoast tranny for $2795.00. Would you do that or just rebuild your tranny?

I would say that a on-billet version, or rebuilding yours would more than suffice, if you could fine the right guy to so it. It's more an art than a science, and finding the artist is the issue with transmissions.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I would say that a on-billet version, or rebuilding yours would more than suffice, if you could fine the right guy to so it. It's more an art than a science, and finding the artist is the issue with transmissions.

Thanks bud...when this is all said and done..I am going to be close to $17,500.00 if I get the billet tranny. That's without opening my engine up.

I don't want to think about it cause that's a darn SRT-4. Anyway...thank you all for your input.
BTW...after spending the money I just did, JH charging $25,000.00 for his Supercharger setup doesn't seem that unreasonable if he upgrades the engine and tranny.

Last edited:
jrgnd said:

a good tranny guy will reinforce your trans with billet goodies, work the valve body and reinforce the 2nd gear issues and I think you will be very happy...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back