My truck is on it's way to get the SC installed..

See that's my problem. I don't know of many tranny guys that I would trust my truck with. I been looking into the cummins forums but most trannies that I have seen there are for sled pulling.

Anyone know of a reputable tranny guy in the Northern VA area..thanks...

jrgnd said:
See that's my problem. I don't know of many tranny guys that I would trust my truck with. I been looking into the cummins forums but most trannies that I have seen there are for sled pulling.

Anyone know of a reputable tranny guy in the Northern VA area..thanks...

The guys that specialize in Cummins might not be the best choice for you, even though it's the same transmission, their perspective is altogether different. I'm sure alot of the stuff is the same, but the power curve and all that is totally different so they might do things a little different than a guy who builds gas transmissions. Maybe the best bet is to have the transmission pulled an shipped to either Suncoast of DC Performance. It can't cost that much or take that long and you'd at least be sure of what you were dealing with...food for thought.

The only Tranny guy i know of in VA that i have personaly dealt with is a guy in Manassas his name is Jeff, forgot the name of his company but i know where hes at.

Back in the day i had him build my tranny in my 89 pointiac 350 firebird. He rebuilt my 700r4, put all corvette parts in it, and i never had anymore problems out of it.

Now, what he knows about vipers no clue... But hes located in old town Manassas, I could probally find his name in the yellow pages if i had to. Jeff transmissions or something like that.

700 miles to Boomer im thinking of makeing that trip in my truck when I go for a tune. That isnt bad at all, lets be glad hes not in CA :) jrgnd

I went for a full Suncoast trans mainly because I wanted a real warranty and a company that I know will stand behind it. I've dealt with a couple of "ace local guys" who can do it for less money... result was truck down for a month and spent more money with a different guy to make it right after the first one dicked me over. Ever since I shy away from stuff like that.

Good luck, Boomer will take care of ya. To answer your question... mine was 615hp with just Paxton and Magnaflow. Flash upped to 620, no numbers since headers and no cats. My tranny was doing fine till we flashed away the torque mgt, the rapid downhill slide began shortly thereafter.

Tranny guru for L's and Harley Trucks is Brian from
BTS in Arkansas. He has delcined several times from Dodge owners wanting him to build our trannies. Sure wish we could change his mind. He offers an UNCONDITIONAL 2 year warranty. He dares you to break one.

jrgnd said:
Boomer is doing it. He was the only installer who would do it with the Bassani's on and has a outstanding record on the installs..

On the tranny issue, I am looking into getting the full billet one from Sun Coast. I want to keep the stock converter cause I am not using slicks and really don't want the higher stall.

Waiting for a install quote on the tranny and will go from there.

Before I bought all my stuff from Boomer (which he is kitting right now - over 12k in goodies) I asked him at lenght about my tranny... if I was going to have a problem. He told me not to worry about it...that as long as I am not racing it every weekend.. that I would be fine, that he has many who have not upgraded the tranny with a similar package... and have 15-20k on their stock tranny.

Here is the list that I posted to the other forum:

Lowering Kit
Caltrac Traction Bar Kit (his design)
Upgraded Leaf Springs
Supercharger (Polished) With / Custom Heat Exchanger System
Basanni Headers Ceramic Coated
Pusher Fan Kit

Billet Goodies Package
(Black : Gas Cap Cover w/Viper
Logo, Door Light Inserts (SRT-10), Black Viper Powered Billet Door
Sills)

Cal-Vu Mirrors (Paint Matched)
Mid Pipes w/highflow cats
02 sims Pair

$12,200

Can't wait for my toys to get here...

azpyroguy said:
Before I bought all my stuff from Boomer (which he is kitting right now - over 12k in goodies) I asked him at lenght about my tranny... if I was going to have a problem. He told me not to worry about it...that as long as I am not racing it every weekend.. that I would be fine, that he has many who have not upgraded the tranny with a similar package... and have 15-20k on their stock tranny.

Here is the list that I posted to the other forum:

Lowering Kit
Caltrac Traction Bar Kit (his design)
Upgraded Leaf Springs
Supercharger (Polished) With / Custom Heat Exchanger System
Basanni Headers Ceramic Coated
Pusher Fan Kit

Billet Goodies Package
(Black : Gas Cap Cover w/Viper
Logo, Door Light Inserts (SRT-10), Black Viper Powered Billet Door
Sills)

Cal-Vu Mirrors (Paint Matched)
Mid Pipes w/highflow cats
02 sims Pair

$12,200

Can't wait for my toys to get here...

If your flash that you are using has turned off the trq management you will burn out the 2nd gear band.....not if....just when....keep in mind if you simply change that band, strut and apply lever with no other upgrades.....You are looking at a $500 job that should work great if you are not racing....

Mine lasted 2 days after the flash.....dont do the SC without doing the tranny. Piggy back your downtime so its only down ONCE not twice....do em at the same time, even if u have to wait a little.

adding a lot of rw hp combined with increased shift rpm's is not a good combination for transmission durability, at least from what we have seen.

Nowwhat said:
If your flash that you are using has turned off the trq management you will burn out the 2nd gear band.....not if....just when....keep in mind if you simply change that band, strut and apply lever with no other upgrades.....You are looking at a $500 job that should work great if you are not racing....

I don't plan on racing alot.. maybe a few times here and there.. throughout the year... mostly will be just going to shows, and street driving.

My DC Flash does have the Torque Management turned off.

So, with this mod to the tranny... what do I need to tell the tranny shop to do... exactly..

Nowwhat posted it on the "other" forum...Let me see if I can find it....

jrgnd said:
Nowwhat posted it on the "other" forum...Let me see if I can find it....

Ok...the real weak spot is the 2nd gear band.....You want an aftermarket "rigid" band for the 48RE tranny...next is the 2nd gear apply lever....you want a 5.0 apply lever and lastly an upgraded 2nd gear strut so it won't flex....the parts if I remember correctly are less than $150.00....

Where do we get the parts Mike.... I don't track my truck at all just daily driving and some spirited stoplight fun but with 4,800 miles on her the tranny's starting to slip quite often :dontknow:
Nowwhat said:
Ok...the real weak spot is the 2nd gear band.....You want an aftermarket "rigid" band for the 48RE tranny...next is the 2nd gear apply lever....you want a 5.0 apply lever and lastly an upgraded 2nd gear strut so it won't flex....the parts if I remember correctly are less than $150.00....

Craig said:
Where do we get the parts Mike.... I don't track my truck at all just daily driving and some spirited stoplight fun but with 4,800 miles on her the tranny's starting to slip quite often :dontknow:

DC performance or Boomer can set you up....EZ

Craig said:

Mine had 6000 miles it when it went over the tranny shop to be built for SC, but when they tore it apart, they found 2 clutch plates were black on both sides, and a third was black on one side, and others showed signs of heat damage... so he said mine was going to fail in 4000-6000 miles..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back