Need a Mopar Race Cam, anyone got one????

mopar_mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to try out putting in the Comp Coupe cam even though I know the gains aren't real great. Then I find out that they are on back order and none are to be found. I need to get one in the next couple of days if I am going to do it.

So any chance that one of you vendors would have one, looking for how fast and price. Not a big deal if I don't do it, just figured I would try.

mopar_mudder said:
Decided to try out putting in the Comp Coupe cam even though I know the gains aren't real great. Then I find out that they are on back order and none are to be found. I need to get one in the next couple of days if I am going to do it.

So any chance that one of you vendors would have one, looking for how fast and price. Not a big deal if I don't do it, just figured I would try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...hZ019QQitemZ8064183144QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Yea,while you are down that far in the motor might as well put in some ported heads .VEC 2 and possibly a flash on top of it is a must for tuning the combo.

ROKTMAN said:
Yea,while you are down that far in the motor might as well put in some ported heads .VEC 2 and possibly a flash on top of it is a must for tuning the combo.

No just a cam, not taking heads or anything off. Just wanted to finish up the "one lap" package

I got 50rwhp from a basic stock head port and a mild Comp Cam. ;)

Would compare real world cost to a set of long tube headers and paying someone to install them.

ROKTMAN said:
Semms like a lot of work and money for 7HP.With the heads and cam combo I bet you get 80-100.

Which would be a whole lot more money. Sorry that is all the budget will alow.

Did you try contacting one of our vendors, Henson Motors. I'm pretty sure if Art doesn't have it, he'll find it for you fast.

just looked on the dealer locater and nobody out there. i do have 2 of these cams on order but wont see them anytime soon. i will let you guys know when they do hit the my doors.

i also think you do have to take the heads off to get to the lifters. you dont want the lifters to fall. i have spoken to the tech that is installing my cam when it comes in. he just happen to have a 2004 viper in his bay that was getting a short block and show me what was need to be done to get to the cam.
has anyone out there installed a cam and not needed to take the heads off please let me know.

later

Take the front end off, before you remove the cam losen rockers, remove push rods, rotate cam to push lifters into block remove and replace cam. heads intact.:D

this is from the service manual, but you say it can be done that way stinker? good to know. I'll try next job, i have one in a couple weeks to do.

Perform the fuel pressure relief procedure (Refer to 14 - FUEL SYSTEM/FUEL DELIVERY - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the front engine shield.
Drain the cooling system
Drain the power steering fluid.
Remove the oil pan (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/LUBRICATION/OIL PAN - REMOVAL).
Lower the vehicle.
Remove the radiator and radiator fan assembly (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ENGINE/RADIATOR - REMOVAL).
Remove intake manifold (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/MANIFOLDS/INTAKE MANIFOLD - REMOVAL).
Remove cylinder head covers (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) - REMOVAL).
Remove timing chain cover (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING CHAIN COVER - REMOVAL).
Remove rocker arm assemblies.
NOTE: Identify each push rod to be replaced in its original location.

Remove push rods.
Remove cylinder heads (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD - REMOVAL).
Remove hydraulic tappets (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE BLOCK/HYDRAULIC TAPPETS - REMOVAL).
Remove timing chain and camshaft sprocket (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS - REMOVAL).
Remove camshaft thrust plate (2) (Camshaft and Thrust Plate).
Slowly remove camshaft (1). Use care not to damage camshaft bearing surfaces with the cam lobes(Camshaft and Thrust Plate).

There are none around. Mopar is waiting for them. Ram from Hell got the last one available for a a little while. Might ask him if he still needs it.

I have cantacted everyone I could find and nothing. Guess I won't be doing a cam, oh well

I've always gottem my cam's custom ground from webcams or JG (a long time ago). you just tell them the lift and duration you want and they regrind your cam.

~Mike~

AWDisuzu said:
I've always gottem my cam's custom ground from webcams or JG (a long time ago). you just tell them the lift and duration you want and they regrind your cam.

~Mike~
^^^What he said Mudder. Just have Comp grind you a cam to the same specs as the comp coupe cam. :dontknow:

ViperTruck2933 said:
^^^What he said Mudder. Just have Comp grind you a cam to the same specs as the comp coupe cam. :dontknow:

I could yes. I was atempting to complete the One Lap package that Mopar has. Might be dumb but I want the "Mopar" cam.

If I was going to something other then that I would bump the lift and duration a bit. Comp Cams has one like that and it is tempting I must say, but I have no way to tune it and don't know how well it would work with the Mopar ECM.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back